U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 1,214,973 times
Reputation: 5127

Advertisements

I keep getting invites from people who have GoFundMe pages set up.

One is getting married and needs money for the wedding.

Another is getting expensive in vitro treatments.

Another is trying to get money for an overseas adoption (and already has several kids adopted from overseas that the church raised money for.)

Is this a new trend? Is GoFundMe now the way that people finance expensive life events?

 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM
 
6,584 posts, read 2,376,729 times
Reputation: 15137
Yep.


I saw one once for a woman who wanted to refurnish her expensive apartment. I rolled my eyes, but to each their own.
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 AM
 
17,002 posts, read 20,682,700 times
Reputation: 33988
Yes, at least for some.

We now live in an entitlement society.

People used to save up(you know work for what they wanted) and when they had the money saved up they than pursused what they wished to purchase.

The only time I will donate money is it if is for something like the death of a child, that is not something anyone should go through or anticipates.
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 AM
 
6,584 posts, read 2,376,729 times
Reputation: 15137
Yeah. I'll donate for emergency type things, if I know the parties involved.
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,642 posts, read 33,439,851 times
Reputation: 32362
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I keep getting invites from people who have GoFundMe pages set up.

One is getting married and needs money for the wedding.

Another is getting expensive in vitro treatments.

Another is trying to get money for an overseas adoption (and already has several kids adopted from overseas that the church raised money for.)

Is this a new trend? Is GoFundMe now the way that people finance expensive life events?
Yes, pretty much. People can't afford to save so GoFundMes are what people turn to next. If people are williing to donate why not?
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 AM
 
17,002 posts, read 20,682,700 times
Reputation: 33988
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yes, pretty much. People can't afford to save so GoFundMes are what people turn to next. If people are williing to donate why not?

PLEASE.....LOL.

These same people who can't afford to save for the most part are the same ones who spend money unwisely.

I know a woman who b**ches everytime her car insurance is due, complains about the high COL here in Southern CA(yes some things are higher).

She never brings her lunch and orders out everyday, her dog(which is a stray) only gets food from a high end pet store.

Let's not pretend many today just don't save, you don't need a $5 Starbucks every morning. Cut it down to once a week, and you save $80 a month, right there is the car insurance money.
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,642 posts, read 33,439,851 times
Reputation: 32362
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
PLEASE.....LOL.

These same people who can't afford to save for the most part are the same ones who spend money unwisely.

I know a woman who b**ches everytime her car insurance is due, complains about the high COL here in Southern CA(yes some things are higher).

She never brings her lunch and orders out everyday, her dog(which is a stray) only gets food from a high end pet store.

Let's not pretend many today just don't save, you don't need a $5 Starbucks every morning. Cut it down to once a week, and you save $80 a month, right there is the car insurance money.
Seriously, you think one outlandish example proves your point?
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM
 
3,672 posts, read 6,063,745 times
Reputation: 4222
I donated to someone's funeral expenses the other day. The other stuff is a stretch! I don't like the trend but if you're able to say or do something to convince me to give you money then you must be doing something right. Perhaps those skills might be more useful elsewhere. I have called up clients asking for new accounts at work many times!
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM
 
17,002 posts, read 20,682,700 times
Reputation: 33988
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Seriously, you think one outlandish example proves your point?
You must be kidding.

I can think of several examples.

Many today have an "I want it and I want it now" mentality, or they're entitled to have all the luxuries they want. Being able to afford doesn't matter.
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,642 posts, read 33,439,851 times
Reputation: 32362
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You must be kidding.

I can think of several examples.

Many today have an "I want it and I want it now" mentality, or they're entitled to have all the luxuries they want. Being able to afford doesn't matter.
And if people are willing to donate to help other with big life events, what's it to you? If I don't believe in it, (I'll never donate for marriage or family, since I don't believe in either) I'll just keep my mouth shut and not donate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top