Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times

Advertisements

Me and a former female friend got into a bad argument back in early February and we stopped talking. After that I never saw her again which I thought was strange until I ran into her brother a few days ago. I asked him how she was doing because I wanted to make up and apologize to her. He told me she died back in early March. My last words to her was us having a heated argument and now I can never tell her I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 01:16 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
I think that a lot of times we apologize to appease our own selves. Kinda like..."I messed up and corrected it." The ball's in their court now.

While a true apology doesn't need a response. We realize that we messed up, we said so, and we move forward. The person can accept the apology and move forward, rekindle the relationship......or not. Sometimes apologies aren't accepted, and we have to accept that. Hope that makes sense.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:17 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If this is the same person that the OP has confessed to harassing in her other thread, then the apology/closure bridge is probably burned. You lost a friendship because you couldn't control yourself, and you drove her away further with your actions. What you can do is accept the fact that you messed up, and do better going forward.
This. ^^^

Old 05-12-2017, 07:41 PM

679 posts, read 811,711 times
Live and learn.

If your actions are causing you grief, then an apology is appropriate.

Say you're sorry for the mistakes don't make excuses or rationalizations.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:41 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I lost a once close friend because I was immature. I didn't do anything to purposely hurt them, but I said a few things in anger I didn't mean to get a reaction (they seem to think that anything I say in anger must be gospel truth. I called them egotistical. I've gotten a lot more insults on a message board). I also use to look down a lot on geeky things because and well they loved geeky things, so that was a major source of friction. Either way, I feel really guilty about it all. They obviously want nothing to do with me, and I don't think contacting them is good either. How do I deal with the guilt?

I looked online for different answers, but most of the issues have to deal with cheating, backstabbing, rape, etc. I mean, I don't think I should be held to those sort of standards.
You already put your finger on the problem, " because I was immature."

So, do the adult thing ,accept the truth about yourself , then go make amends to them.
Tell them the truth. Anger arises from fear, so you were afraid of something in them, maybe they were more mature than you.

If you called them egotistical, it was you being egotistical and projecting it onto them in order to deny your own ego problem, thats a typical human thing to do.

The other person already knows the truth about you, so they will recognize you have changed immediately.

Go for it, your life will change instantly.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Me and a former female friend got into a bad argument back in early February and we stopped talking. After that I never saw her again which I thought was strange until I ran into her brother a few days ago. I asked him how she was doing because I wanted to make up and apologize to her. He told me she died back in early March. My last words to her was us having a heated argument and now I can never tell her I'm sorry.
Thats why they wrote Greek tragedies.
If you forgive, you are forgiven. Its a two part deal.

Forgive us our trespasses =AS= we forgive those.....

The pertinent word being AS. Not before.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:46 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
if you are female...blame it on pms...

its sad ,,, so sad ,, its a sad sad situation and its getting more and more absurd.....

sorry seems to be the hardest word

Old 05-12-2017, 07:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I lost a once close friend because I was immature. I didn't do anything to purposely hurt them, but I said a few things in anger I didn't mean to get a reaction (they seem to think that anything I say in anger must be gospel truth. I called them egotistical. I've gotten a lot more insults on a message board). I also use to look down a lot on geeky things because and well they loved geeky things, so that was a major source of friction. Either way, I feel really guilty about it all. They obviously want nothing to do with me, and I don't think contacting them is good either. How do I deal with the guilt?

I looked online for different answers, but most of the issues have to deal with cheating, backstabbing, rape, etc. I mean, I don't think I should be held to those sort of standards.
I think if you can, you could write an email sincerely apologizing for your bad behavior. In your post I note that you seem to cut yourself some slack. I'd not do that if you decide to put your apology in black and white. You want this person to know that you are sincerely sorry, and that you recognize that you were way out of line. You might also name the ways you were out of line.

You cannot expect your friend to welcome you back into his or her life. But you can, perhaps, express some self awareness by your sincere apology, and that might help you deal with your guilt, and it might lessen the hostility your friend has likely felt for you since your actions.

Then channel your feelings into some positive actions. Volunteer, or become a reliable help to someone who needs help. In other words, you turn the negative energy that is eating you up inside into positive energy by helping someone else.

I am glad you know you messed up. Don't try to justify or lessen your actions in your mind. Accept that you messed up and take positive actions.

I do think you will feel better if you do those two things. But feeling guilt is a learning experience. Resolve never to make the same mistake again.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Even the best-behaved and best-intentioned accumulate enemies over time. Even when you do the right thing for yourself and others, you will have people dislike you for it.
If you say the right things, half the population may hate you anyway,
yet those who please everyone are sometimes the greatest thieves of all.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If this is the same person that the OP has confessed to harassing in her other thread, then the apology/closure bridge is probably burned. You lost a friendship because you couldn't control yourself, and you drove her away further with your actions. What you can do is accept the fact that you messed up, and do better going forward.
Clearly, others need to see this again.

Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships