Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:04 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,569,015 times

Advertisements

I hate to admit it, but I'm an honest person. Of course I congratulated her and haven't expressed any of my concerns to her because I prefer to mind my own business. But I'll discuss it here. She's a fairly close relative, 35, never married before and no kids. Professionally, she's doing very well for herself. I think she's been dating her fiance for less than two years. I haven't met him yet, but other family members have. Truthfully, I haven't really wanted to meet him, but now that they're engaged, I assume I will. My concerns about the engagement:

1. She met him in his native country, and I wonder if he's using her to get US citizenship.

2. She's in the process of buying a house and now he's going to be moving in. I don't know what he does for work and how much money he'll actually be contributing. I think she's smart enough not to let a man use her as a free ride, but you never know.

3. She's not some naive woman who easily falls in love, so I shouldn't worry about her too much, but I also don't really trust men.

4. I'm glad she's happy and he might actually be a good guy. She's had several boyfriends, but I've never seen her really in love before and I've always thought of her as super independent, so maybe I'm just bothered that she'll be turning into a "married woman" like everyone else. Her Facebook post about her engagement got a lot of attention although people usually ignore the rest of the stuff she posts. It's like, your life isn't important to people until some guy decides to give you a ring? That's the only thing that's worth pressing the "like" button for? I'm sounding like a bitter, single woman right now, so I'll stop there. lol

In conclusion, I fully plan to support her and will try very hard to muster up more excitement than I currently feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 04:19 AM

8,920 posts, read 7,693,227 times
I know the feeling.

My best friend is getting married in June. I don't think she's ready and she's rushing into it. She had a child at 19 and has known her boyfriend since middle school (I know them both very well) she's had boyfriends, but she eventually went back to her now fiance. He takes care of her child and loves my best friend but I think they should've waited mainly for financial and maturity reasons. But that's just me. I'm not exactly too excited and I'm IN the wedding Lol! I wish them the best though.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I know the feeling.

My best friend is getting married in June. I don't think she's ready and she's rushing into it. She had a child at 19 and has known her boyfriend since middle school (I know them both very well) she's had boyfriends, but she eventually went back to her now fiance. He takes care of her child and loves my best friend but I think they should've waited mainly for financial and maturity reasons. But that's just me. I'm not exactly too excited and I'm IN the wedding Lol! I wish them the best though.
Yeah, I know it's not that uncommon not to be too excited about an upcoming wedding. I've never been a bridesmaid before, but of course I'll agree to do it if asked, even though I do think it's more fun to attend as a guest. The wedding might not happen until next year anyway since they just got engaged.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:50 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,658,244 times
Stick to your plan of minding your own business. You haven't even met him yet and you already don't like him. That's not fair to him or her.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Stick to your plan of minding your own business. You haven't even met him yet and you already don't like him. That's not fair to him or her.
I didn't say that I don't like him. I said I don't necessarily trust him. However, I don't need to like him or trust him because I'm not the one marrying him.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Sounds more like you feel like she's "selling out" by getting married. Which really means it's more about you and your feelings about marriage than it is about her and her thoughts and feelings on what she wants for her own life.

Do some thinking on that.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sounds more like you feel like she's "selling out" by getting married. Which really means it's more about you and your feelings about marriage than it is about her and her thoughts and feelings on what she wants for her own life.

Do some thinking on that.
I don't mean to sound like that. I think marriage with the right person is a wonderful thing. I think it's something she wanted, but didn't talk much about it because she didn't think she'd find the right guy. Also, I am not 100% against marrying foreigners, depending on the country. I certainly hope she isn't being deceived, but as I said, she's not a dummy and if she feels like this is the right choice, I will support her.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,409,088 times
You're making a whole lot of assumptions. You said it ... you sound like a bitter single woman.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're making a whole lot of assumptions. You said it ... you sound like a bitter single woman.

My thought, too.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
My thought, too.
I feel like that's always the assumption, which is why I feel bad for not being excited about it. But then I feel like I have to pretend to be excited about it so that I won't be accused of being bitter. I want her to be happy, but her engagement announcement made me uneasy. I even had nightmares about it. This hasn't happened in the past when other people I know got engaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships