Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:46 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know what your problem is here. You are clearly quite sensitive, at least regarding this topic. I didn't give you crap (despite you somehow thinking I did), I can't speak for others.

Next time you want a purely positive conversation, tailor the OP to indicate that you want something positive. Though even if you were to do that, you would STILL get "negative" comments. This is the internet, man. Get a thicker skin.

Family men are great. More family men need to exist. But it's important to note that not everything is what it seems. The point that you seem to be missing here is that those you have observed who are seemingly so well put together and such great family men and families may not be actually that great behind closed doors. It's important to be cognizant of that, to be honest. Oftentimes, terrible things happen to and with those least expected. "But they seemed so normal," "he was so nice!" etc. It's important people are aware. There is often a lot of pressure today on couples, particularly men who are still perceived as main breadwinners, living in middle class and higher suburban areas to live up to many expectations. It can lead to issues within the home that people outside may never know exist - and just by observing, will think of how perfect it looks and how great it all seems.

Typical internet type drivel...

Nothing in my original post indicated anything to draw out this conversation this is your imagination at work and the work of the typical troll that hates anything positive. It's plain and simple and anyone can see it.

If you don't like my postings don't bother replying. I'm going to still sing from the roof tops about how it's great that some men love their wives and kids and I'll praise them.

You can find fault all day. LOL... I really don't care... matter of fact, when I'm not here I won't think of this thread or worry about whether or not some person decided to make a thing about it. LOL.

LOL, it's almost funny how much I don't give a crap about people here who argue with me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 01:55 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I like family men. I like the whole vibe of a man that loves his wife and his kids. He's the guy that lives for his family. I like those guys, I trust them. I think that they are what they call the salt of the earth. That old saying. I don't mean any disrespect to single men with no family. I really don't. I don't have kids myself and that is probably a sort of an ironic thing in that I don't have kids myself yet I'm having this thing for family men. I just like the stability and I like the faith that these men have in their families. The way that they'd die for their wives and children, there is a obvious honor in that and again, great stuff.

Stuff that was lacking in my life as a kid and probably like a cliché is why I find it so great. I watch families like Chip and Joanna with all of their kids on the HGTV network and I find it great and I like it. It sorta give me a calm and peaceful feeling and like the world is going to be allright. We've got these great people and their great families and these great people take care of business.

I find that older men that are out just chasing P to be tired and sorta lame. I get that we all have our choices and I'm trying to not be so judgy but it just seems lame to me. I get that that might be offensive and I'm tying to not be that way, just sayin.

I get that guys chase women I get that, I'm just talking about the guy that is forty plus never married never couple up and just going out and hitting it. Again, he's got the right and is perfectly and rightly able to do such. I guess I just find that sorta thing to be abhorrent. I don't mean this in a moral or religious way, just a sad way in that they are missing out how great it is to be with a special someone and if you have kids to be with a woman that was the mother of your kids. That is a powerful thing and I think that it's a beautiful thing.
I wish it to be a beautiful thing for more people, I hope it is, who knows if it is. I hope so..............
I've read how you are romanticizing 'the family man'. Having played that role myself, I'm delighted it is mostly ending. I'm looking forward to being mostly done with it. It just wasn't me, thankfully my quirky independent streak always poked through anyway. A lot of being a 'family man' was square peg/round hole for me. My kids seem to be turning out ok regardless of me not being much of what typifies being a family man.

As you judge the singles rather harshly, despite being one yourself, I guess other men who played family men could judge the family men rather harshly too. How about the alternative view that family men are boring grandstanding suckers, dependent, weak guys playing a role that requires/needs a wife beside them to feel like a man?

I actually have respect for both real family men, and the independent minded singles, and most everybody in between. No need for me to judge other adults personal choices that don't affect me.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:07 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Until the woman files for divorce.

The approx., 50% divorce rate for first marriages (higher percentages for the second and third ones) which the woman is the one filing 75% plus percent of them.

No thanks.
Wow, there's one of you in every crowd, isn't there?

Your statistics are wrong (the divorce rate for first marriages is not 50%), and the divorce issue has been discussed AD NAUSEUM on C-D and multiple other sites, articles and studies, not that you will bother to read any actual truth, just whatever statistical blurb will support your misogynist notions.

Let me give you the short version: Women file for divorce more because they have had it up to here with their husbands refusing to be active participants in their marriage and family (if there are kids), or their cheating, or their abuse, or their lies, or their addictions, or their mental health problems. Women will do everything to get their partner involved and keep the marriage together long after their husband has checked out of the marriage and refuses to be an active participant. Men who abandon their wives, men who are abusers and cheaters don't file for divorce (because that would be giving up control) unless they are planning on exchanging their wife for a newer model, which leaves the onus of filing on the woman. Women end up filing because they want things over and done with after having it dragged out for years.

Been there, done that, moving on. Buh-bye.

Chow, I know exactly what kind of family man you're referring to (I love "Return to Me" !!!), and I feel like they are a dying breed. But I know a handful of them, they're good men, and I can only hope someday I'll find one.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

Your statistics are wrong (the divorce rate for first marriages is not 50%), and the divorce issue has been discussed AD NAUSEUM on C-D and multiple other sites, articles and studies, not that you will bother to read any actual truth, just whatever statistical blurb will support your misogynist notions.

Let me give you the short version: Women file for divorce more because they have had it up to here with their husbands refusing to be active participants in their marriage and family (if there are kids), or their cheating, or their abuse, or their lies, or their addictions, or their mental health problems. Women will do everything to get their partner involved and keep the marriage together long after their husband has checked out of the marriage and refuses to be an active participant. Men who abandon their wives, men who are abusers and cheaters don't file for divorce (because that would be giving up control) unless they are planning on exchanging their wife for a newer model, which leaves the onus of filing on the woman. Women end up filing because they want things over and done with after having it dragged out for years.

Chow, I know exactly what kind of family man you're referring to (I love "Return to Me" !!!), and I feel like they are a dying breed. But I know a handful of them, they're good men, and I can only hope someday I'll find one.
I've been a bit rude to you on occasion because I didn't agree with you but I appreciate your input here and yeah, Jim Belusi's character was great. LOL

I think we all at the end of the day want a happy family situation that is my overriding point here.

Again. I'm really surprised here at the responses in this thread. I expect crap... just didn't think that basic stuff would garner it.

LOL

Old 05-14-2017, 02:16 AM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
I looove Jim Belushi in that. Every time I watch it, I fall in love with him all over again. Hilarious....

Old 05-14-2017, 02:25 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:
I've been a bit rude to you on occasion because I didn't agree with you but I appreciate your input here and yeah, Jim Belusi's character was great. LOL

I think we all at the end of the day want a happy family situation that is my overriding point here.

Again. I'm really surprised here at the responses in this thread. I expect crap... just didn't think that basic stuff would garner it.

LOL
Right on, brother! Can't give you a rep again yet.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:05 AM

Mrs. Chow has told me that I'm out of line.

I respect her and I respect truth. If I'm out of line I'll own it.

If I was rude to people here I apologize. I'm a straight shooter and can admit mistakes.

If I make them, then fine I own it....... LOL...my opinion is is that a man that can accept his mistakes is a man that is worthy.....

Last edited by Chowhound; 05-14-2017 at 03:37 AM..

Old 05-14-2017, 05:10 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
I would go further. The family "man" has a family "woman" and family "children." That I believe is more difficult to achieve.

Take for example my daughter's friend and her family. Her dad is considered a family man. He works long hours for his family. But then he brings home his stress. He makes up for it by buying luxury items. But then the children disrespect both parents. Mom usually explains that the children have done nothing all day because she "can't force them."

He is considered a stable family man because he sticks around and provides and he loves his family. He made his bed this way, knows it , and takes responsibility for it by sucking it up. Is that what makes him stable? Admirable?

Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:

And a Very Good Morning to You MoonBeam.

I didn't want to expand on my original response post so I'll keep it at that as it would be way off the thread subject.

Factoid: I have NO skin in the game (never had) and those stats I mentioned are posted in most places on the internet. Still your posted reasons are NOT the entire list which are missing the important to her reasons besides what you mentioned - again I'm not going to expand my response pertaining to this subject.

I live my life my way while happily interacting with ALL human beings.

Time for some of you to take a chill pill!

Have a Great Mother's Day!

Last edited by atgss; 05-14-2017 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-14-2017, 05:56 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Mrs. Chow has told me that I'm out of line.

I respect her and I respect truth. If I'm out of line I'll own it.

If I was rude to people here I apologize. I'm a straight shooter and can admit mistakes.

If I make them, then fine I own it....... LOL...my opinion is is that a man that can accept his mistakes is a man that is worthy.....
I'm a straight shooter as well but never took your post negatively, just that it was open-ended hence the responses in this thread.

Also my initial response to you which has hit some other people's nerves (what else is new) wasn't meant to be towards you.

For me: no apology was required from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships