Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

There's no need to speculate...no need to use a particular title. Haven't you learned that you will RARELY be correct - kinda like mistaking an overweight woman as being pregnant..just don't bring it up!

Technically anyway, miss and ma'am refer to marital status and not age...again, not relevant in this day and age...just say your piece and skip the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
What is so "unpleasant" about that? And what would the alternative be, when you're introduced to a woman?
I don't like it. I'm not comfortable with it. When introduced to a woman, I hope to hell she doesn't put her hand out, because I then have to shake it. But truth told, I wish she had not. I'm perfectly comfortable meeting a woman without touching her, and I wish she would not want to touch me.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Down south; any age.

Its not about being old, its just politeness. Shame they don't encourage politeness in other regions like we do down here.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 AM

15 posts, read 10,722 times
I remember getting called ma'am at 18.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:24 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
What is so "unpleasant" about that? And what would the alternative be, when you're introduced to a woman?
I don't find it 'unpleasant', perhaps a tad, 'not quite right', but I can't explain why.
With me, maybe it's my Gallic connections, but if I'm introduced to a female friend of a family member, or to a female friend of a close female friend of mine or my wife's, I will lightly kiss them on each cheek.
It's becoming much more common over here over during the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I suspect people who do that think they are being cute or funny. They're not. It comes across as very patronizing and disrespectful.
My barber calls me 'young man', he's maybe 30 years my junior, and he's definitely not being patronising or disrespectful, it's just his way, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The term has nothing at all to do with age and those of us who were taught at a very young age what respect is and how to address someone with respect knows the difference.
Being referred to as *my old lady* by one's husband is disrespectful in my opinion.
I've heard that in American movies or TV, also read it in American books.
Over here, if a guy talks about his "old lady", he's referring to his mother, and he means absolutely no disrespect, it's just a colloquialism, particularly in London.
British guys refer to their wives as "my old woman", e.g. my old woman went nuts when I came home drunk on Friday night.
Once again, it's just a colloquialism, a term of endearment if you will, the wife doesn't have to be old, you'll hear a 28 y.o. guy say it about his 23 y.o. wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I've heard of the Southern U.S. being described as "...a place where 80-year-old men call 16-year-old waitresses "ma'am", and nobody thinks twice about it."
Well, I'm not that old yet, and I'm often in VA, NC, SC, GA, and AL, but I don't call 16 y.o. waitresses ma'am, I use the name on their button if I can see it, usually after saying, "Excuse me Donna, can I call you Donna?", or I may just say, "Miss, can I get the check please?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I can tell you how I feel about being addressed as "sir". I consider it as an insult. Using it is the same as saying that someone is old enough that they are no longer considered to be in play and are of no interest to the person using the term.
I don't see it that way Steve, rarely does anyone call me sir in the U.K., and I don't care about that, but I've been to the U.S. so many times now, that it just sounds natural when I'm addressed as sir over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
AT 29 its BABE.
After 30 and 7 months its madame.
I think that I've finally learned my lesson with 'babe', I've used it quite often in the past, to checkout girls in supermarkets, to barmaids, even to strangers on the phone.
My wife would go bananas, "You sound like an ignorant old geezer, trying to charm young women, they probably see you as pathetic."
Eventually I managed to stop myself, but it wasn't easy.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
21 year old 2Lt in the military?

Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
In the south? When she's old enough to see over the counter.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
In the south? When she's old enough to see over the counter.
hahahaha. Rep for you.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I laughed when I read that your husband has been called ma'am. I have a friend who is a woman but who gets called "sir" or "mister" ALL the time. She just laughs about it at this point.
To be fair, it is me who calls him ma'am. He's 6'4" and could NEVER be mistaken for a woman.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
My niece was "ma'amed" as she and her friends call it, at age eleven. She's tall for her age, and dresses with a degree of sophistication that is not the same as many tweens, partially because she shops with my mother, but she thinks that it is absolutely hilarious when she is called "ma'am." I told her that it's great that she commands such respect and attention at her age, since it's always said in a polite manner.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships