Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM

736 posts, read 456,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
Technically since "ma'am" is a contraction of "madame" it's appropriate for a married woman of any age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
It's short for madam not "old hag". It has everything to do with respect and nothing to do with age.

Being offended about being called ma'am suggests some significant insecurities.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Hmmm, interesting. Not sure what to say to that, as shaking hands is the polite thing to do when introduced in the US, so I can't imagine not shaking hands with any new person I meet on a business level. When it's social, I can just say 'nice to meet you' & not touch. I can understand the touching thing, as a poster below you said he lightly kisses a woman he is introduced to, on the cheek & I would find that extremely presumptuous, invasive & bordering on sexual harassment (in the USA), as I certainly would not allow a stranger to kiss me.

It's the implication that somehow it's acceptable for men to shake hands as a greeting, but not women, that's troubling. I can understand not wanting to touch any stranger (and I'm not even a germaphobe), but I'd rather not. IDK that she "wants" to touch you. It's just considered the acceptable greeting in the US. I'd rather not shake hands with anyone I don't know & I certainly am not ok with kisses from strangers, but it's how we do it here & it would be rude to not shake hands in a business situation. In fact, it could seriously harm your business relationship. I think I'd prefer the Japanese tradition of a slight bow - no touching at all. I just don't understand why it would be okay to shake a man's hand & not a woman's.

I can totally understand your feelings about a man who is a stranger to you kissing you lightly on each cheek, (actually it's more like touching cheek to cheek, than lips to cheek).
It's not something that we Brits ever do with a complete and total stranger, but in an effort to illustrate how innocent it really is, one lunchtime in Lille, northern France, I was enjoying a glass of wine at a sidewalk café with my wife.
At the next table was a couple in their thirties, as a French speaker it was obvious to me from snatches of their conversation that they were co-workers, not 'an item.'
Suddenly a woman, apparently a friend of the female of the couple, stopped to say hello to her.
The women exchanged air kisses, then the first woman introduced the man, "Chlöe, this is Pierre", he stood, put his hands lightly on her arms then kissed her on each cheek, completely natural to a Frenchman being introduced to a female friend of a friend, even though he'd never met her before.
It's just as natural to me if my sister should introduce me to her female friends, they know I'm not hitting on them, I know, and my wife knows, no harm, no foul.
As this form of greeting is virtually ingrained in me, and also in lots of European men and women, I find it difficult to come to terms with anyone seeing it as "bordering on sexual harassment", but I think that I can almost see your reasoning, as I know that Americans can sometimes appear to be a tad more 'tightly wound' to we Brits, or even to most Europeans.
This is not a bad thing, no matter what subtle differences there may be between us, in all my times in the U.S., I've never met an American that I didn't like, but with over 300 million of you there may be one somewhere, but it's not you MsMetal.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 AM

87 posts, read 114,490 times
Just my opinion, but women who hate being addressed as ma'am because it makes them "feel/sound old" come across as insecure and vain.
To me, it's always just been a neutral term of respect (the analogue of "sir" - and I don't hear of many young men taking issue with being called sir because it makes them "feel old").

I'm a relatively young woman (26) and I've been called ma'am fairly often, ever since my late teens. I presume it's not so much how I look, but how I act. My personality is quite formal/serious and business-like. I always liked being addressed as "ma'am" - makes me feel respected. Certainly much, much better than "miss".

Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Technically since "ma'am" is a contraction of "madame" it's appropriate for a married woman of any age.
How could you possibly know if a total stranger is married or not?

Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 AM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
SOUTH - you will never change the North. When we do not understand what was just said, we will respond with "Excuse me? I didn't hear what you said", rather than "Sir?" or "Ma'am?"

It's just not going to happen in Brooklyn NY or Burlington VT. Ditto most of the upper Midwest and West Coast.

NORTH? - You like the weather in the South and travel their frequently in the Winter. You may have relocated there. While visited QUIT BEING OFFENDED if someone addresses you as "ma'am" or "sir". They are just being polite.

Here is an alternative - never leave your comfort zone. Miss out on meeting other Americans who speak differently than you do. Park your butt in front of a flat screen with a regional beer in hand and watch local programing.

It's an option, but a sad option.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A gold ring on the ring finger?

Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
It's fine when they are old enough that you can "presume" that they are married. I'd agree with the 30 answer many are giving here.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:43 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
maybe around the 30s to 40s

Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You don't.

Unfortunately, "Ms" (or the much longer-standing Southern version, "Miz") isn't as easily usable as a pronoun as "Miss," so "ma'am" gets pressed into service for both married and unmarried women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships