U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 10:32 AM

31,390 posts, read 19,800,698 times

Advertisements

On the other hand I had a run-in with a "do-gooder" who was the opposite.

I had just got out of the hospital and went to pick-up my prescription. We were circling the parking lot and there was a stall out front. Two elderly people were trying to take the spot by going the wrong way when I had the right of way. I took the stall.

A guy came out and started chewing me out for not letting the others take the stall, I told him I had just got out of hospital so I wasn't doing so well myself. He threatened to key my car.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,407,907 times
Every generation since the beginning of time has bemoaned that which came before them. The OP is nothing new at all.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,407,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
I agree with you OP.

There appears to be an overall diminishing respect between people in general, as well as with seniors and accomplished professionals.

Perhaps the burden of stress of "too much information" taxes the reptilian brain and makes cognitive flexibility (capable of considering options) more of a challenge.

Although there are benefits to how the world has changed since the 1950's, I can't imagine hearing about a situation like this during that era.

But maybe that's just me.

Ah yes, the 1950s, that magical time were nothing bad happened. The familiar refrain of CD.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:31 PM

40,258 posts, read 39,797,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Every generation since the beginning of time has bemoaned that which came before them. The OP is nothing new at all.
I hear this type of comments every time a thread of situation like this comes up and yes I know, every generation says this sorta thing about the next. Standing back and acknowledging that there is a certain merit to it.

I've taken some pains to be objective and not have the chicken little reaction that your post comment would assume is happening on my part.

Things are changing, there is a certainly some evidence of that manners and common courtesy is not as common as it once was. I think the part that needs to be really objective about is just really how bad and how much. Those are the more intangible parts in my opinion.

This kid dumping the woman in the pool is just a small-ish side affect. I'm sure the kid was probably just drinking and got caught up in the party mode or whatever. Him turning himself in was a measure that showed he knew he was out of line and I think that's a good redeeming thing.

All is not lost here, I don't think we're circling the drain, just sayin, the water appears to be movin a bit.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:20 AM

9,763 posts, read 5,444,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You are right to a degree I'm sure. I'm also talking about how young people don't seem to have respect for older people.........
Mom always said that if those little kids who run around the grocery store knocked her down, it would be a heck of a lawsuit.

Maybe that is what is needed to teach respect.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:07 AM

2,133 posts, read 978,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Ah yes, the 1950s, that magical time were nothing bad happened. The familiar refrain of CD.
This is just your way of condoning bad behavior by the protected groups.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,005,882 times
I think it's a sure sign one is getting older when they start complaining that the younger generation is engaging in activities that NEVER took place in their day. The preponderance of amateur videos these days compared to past decades would make anyone believe that kids behave worse today than in the past. As others have stated, socially unacceptable behavior has taken place since the beginning of time. It was just not on camera. The majority of teenagers, 20 somethings and early 30 somethings would not body slam elderly people and then toss them in the pool. It's odd how one video gives the perception that this is a new trend.

My father grew up during the 1960s in rough neighborhoods in Chicago and would talk about how kids would go on top of housing projects and throw items of all types off the roof to hit people below. Those kids are now likely around 65-70 years old. It was socially unacceptable behavior then and would still be now. Some kids do stupid things. It been that way since the beginning of time.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:04 AM

7,725 posts, read 18,545,261 times
My experience with kids has been far different than what has been described here. I am specifically talking about the 18 - 25 group. I have found this group to be respectful, albeit a bit more casual. Entitled? Not really. It's astonishing how many are racking up enormous student loan debt. If anything their parents (yes, my generation) have stressed out this group as early as junior high, telling them to decide their life's course. Don't join this extra curricular activity, that one will look better on your college application (don't worry you do not enjoy it). And in the end, all it did is create resentment. If I could do this differently with my youngest, you better believe I would.

Sure, others have different mileage and results, and there's always exceptions. But I think if one were to look deeper, we have a generation to be proud of. Our youth do not see color - my favorite recent story are the two boys that went to the barber to get the same haircut so their teacher wouldn't be able to tell them apart, one was black, the other white. Our kids don't see nationalities and see nothing wrong with gay or transgender friends. They have far surpassed my generation's comfort zone.

And while I do not want to go down the global warming debate, I do know our children will be good stewards of this planet......again, they will surpass their parent's generation.

I suspect this youth got caught up and will likely pay for the rest of his life for that mistake. This is another aspect our youth must survive, internet notoriety and lack of forgiveness. Close your eyes and try to recall the one thing you are most ashamed of, and then imagine it was on the web and went viral. It's a real uncomfortable feeling.

I am very proud of our youth and won't let the actions of a few define them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships