Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:33 PM

52,192 posts, read 52,623,070 times

Advertisements

Saw an article on this subject and there is also a thread over in the POC about it. There was a party and a bunch of kids were out near a pool and this elderly woman approached them and was complaining about the noise and some kid grabs her and throws her in the pool. He accidently drops her first onto the ground and when you see the vid clip is a little rough to watch. I don't wanna post it here but a quick youtube search and you can find it if you wanna watch it. It was a little rough to watch it.

I'm not trying to pick on young people and that is not my intent of this thread but it's more of just a coarsening and dumbing down of our culture really is what I'm driving at here.

When I was a 19 or 20 year old kid it would have never in a million years occurred to me to do something like this. I mean the blatant disregard for older people in our society is really becoming apparent. Other places like such as Asian cultures they regard older people with great respect and admiration. It seems like here we don't as much. I can't for the life of me imagine grabbing a little old lady and tossing her into the pool because she's complaining about the noise.

Apparently it was a pool party of sorts and there were lots of kids there and I get how parties go, I'm not that old. LOL. I partied my ass off when I was a kid too. When people complained we generally lowered the volume and we most certainly weren't tossing old ladies in pools. LOL, I mean it's almost funny in a sick way but I'm just kidding here.

Have we and are we losing are civility? Are the basics like manners on the decline?

I hope it's just me and I hope I'm wrong.

What say you????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
I don't know if it is actually a change in culture, or simply an awareness of events due to smart phones and the internet. If that had happened 20 or even 10 years ago, in some other region or state, you probably would never have known about it.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,232,887 times
<snip>
But to the OPs post, probably 95% of all youngsters would never have dreamed of doing what that person did to that elderly person. Its always that 5% that seems to ruin it for the rest of the 95%.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-16-2017 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: no FB or other named siocial Media sites allowed

Old 05-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't know if it is actually a change in culture, or simply an awareness of events due to smart phones and the internet. If that had happened 20 or even 10 years ago, in some other region or state, you probably would never have known about it.
You are right to a degree I'm sure. I'm also talking about how young people don't seem to have respect for older people. Again, not a slam on them but more of just a shift in our society.

Just in our family we have young people and they talk and act like they are your peers and equals. I don't think that people that haven't had much life experience are my "equals" I'm not a guy that is siting back and demanding respect but I approach people much older with a certain humility and an understanding that they've traveled the world a bit more and should be respect a bit.

I don't know, I think it's part of what I'm talking about, this lessening of standards and how we interact with each other.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I think that is a huge point. Were I live we have a Facebook page on local Police calls. Everyone is saying that crime is so bad, that its gotten so bad here. Well, Im not so sure thats true, other than we are so much more aware of what is going on, since every little incident is immediately posted on Facebook.

But to the OPs post, probably 95% of all youngsters would never have dreamed of doing what that person did to that elderly person. Its always that 5% that seems to ruin it for the rest of the 95%.
I hope you're right. It does seem like the minority ruins it for the rest.

I'm just hoping that I'm wrong and that my observations are off a bit.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:56 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
If it's the incident I'm thinking about, then there are a few things at play here. First, people were heard saying to throw her in the pool. Second, the guy probably wanted to seem like the life of the party, probably thought he would gain cred for doing it. Third, there is now a new type of fame people are interested in, and it's viral thread fame. World star hiphop loves to glorify violence and random attacks on people that has been memorialized with a cell phone video. Nowadays some of these random viral videos seem contrived, rehearsed, or choreographed intentionally, not saying that happened here because I saw the woman's injuries. Another thing - I think the guy didn't mean to drop her on the floor, he just didn't make it to the water in time. He likely didn't think he would harm her. As a matter of fact, I doubt thinking of any sort happened much, he's a teenager. Lastly, he turned himself in because it was the right thing to do, which tells me he realizes that he screwed up and should face the music for his misdeed.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If it's the incident I'm thinking about, then there are a few things at play here. First, people were heard saying to throw her in the pool. Second, the guy probably wanted to seem like the life of the party, probably thought he would gain cred for doing it. Third, there is now a new type of fame people are interested in, and it's viral thread fame. World star hiphop loves to glorify violence and random attacks on people that has been memorialized with a cell phone video. Nowadays some of these random viral videos seem contrived, rehearsed, or choreographed intentionally, not saying that happened here because I saw the woman's injuries. Another thing - I think the guy didn't mean to drop her on the floor, he just didn't make it to the water in time. He likely didn't think he would harm her. As a matter of fact, I doubt thinking of any sort happened much, he's a teenager. Lastly, he turned himself in because it was the right thing to do, which tells me he realizes that he screwed up and should face the music for his misdeed.
I didn't know he turned himself in. Kudos for that and yeah, I know he dropped her on accident and I didn't harp on that.

I was just appalled that it would even enter his mind. He was probably hammered or stoned and I get to a degree how things happen and I stand back and look at the big picture in life.

I guess what I'm saying in standing back is that things just seem to be different than when you and I came up, we are similar age ranges and I really wonder if there is truly a drop in standards of conduct over the last 25 plus years.

I don't wanna be that old guy waving his fist at the world that's why I'm tying to be open to ideas of how others view the world.

As I said couple of times, I hope I'm wrong and not seeing things properly or out of context. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong here.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This is something I could have seen happen coming up in my hometown in Virginia. Of course if this had happened back before 2000, it would probably have not gotten any further than the district court of Norfolk. Nowadays everyone has smartphones and your average 19 year old who is intoxicated will do anything for WorldStarHipHop fame. This was just a more extreme example someone happened to record.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:46 PM

424 posts, read 236,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Saw an article on this subject and there is also a thread over in the POC about it. There was a party and a bunch of kids were out near a pool and this elderly woman approached them and was complaining about the noise and some kid grabs her and throws her in the pool. He accidently drops her first onto the ground and when you see the vid clip is a little rough to watch. I don't wanna post it here but a quick youtube search and you can find it if you wanna watch it. It was a little rough to watch it.

I'm not trying to pick on young people and that is not my intent of this thread but it's more of just a coarsening and dumbing down of our culture really is what I'm driving at here.

When I was a 19 or 20 year old kid it would have never in a million years occurred to me to do something like this. I mean the blatant disregard for older people in our society is really becoming apparent. Other places like such as Asian cultures they regard older people with great respect and admiration. It seems like here we don't as much. I can't for the life of me imagine grabbing a little old lady and tossing her into the pool because she's complaining about the noise.

Apparently it was a pool party of sorts and there were lots of kids there and I get how parties go, I'm not that old. LOL. I partied my ass off when I was a kid too. When people complained we generally lowered the volume and we most certainly weren't tossing old ladies in pools. LOL, I mean it's almost funny in a sick way but I'm just kidding here.

Have we and are we losing are civility? Are the basics like manners on the decline?

I hope it's just me and I hope I'm wrong.

What say you????
I say that there is a difference between this woman and the party goers, which I think is the reason this happened.

I don't think this is common among today's youth. Only certain kinds.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
I say that there is a difference between this woman and the party goers, which I think is the reason this happened.

I don't think this is common among today's youth. Only certain kinds.
I know where you are going with this and I'd highly recommend not making another step in that direction.

Signed one of those "kinds" who would have never thought about doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships