Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:45 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
When I help friends, I don't expect anything in return. Sure, it's nice if they help me, but friendship isn't about keeping score.
No, it's no about "keeping score," but you'd have to be a damn fool to keep helping someone who doesn't or rarely helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 08:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
No, it's no about "keeping score," but you'd have to be a damn fool to keep helping someone who doesn't or rarely helps you.
If someone repeatedly takes advantage of me, they aren't a friend. But that's hardly the same as the one-time case of the OP expecting a favor in return for a favor. That's scorekeeping.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
The one and only time I got suckered into helping someone move it was within the same building from the Fifth floor to the second floor of an East Village WALKUP. The guy was a decorator and, although his stuff was all high quality, you would not go far afield calling him a hoarder.
My back hurts just re-remembering the million trips up and down those steps.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:32 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
My sister once asked me to help her move. What I did not know until I showed up with the U-Haul was that she was moving out on her husband. Soon after we started, hubby came home to find three quarters of their possessions on the back of a moving truck.

It was awkward.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:08 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
It is a lot of work to move people's furniture. That is why when most people want help moving, most friends run for cover and say they are busy.

So one time I was excited about having a new friend and when she asked for help moving things I was not too busy and spent my afternoon helping with the move.

I always thought that one aspect of friendship was: " I help you with something, and then you help me later" Life has told me through the years that most people don't think that way. I do them a big favor and then when I need help, they are usually too busy to help me. When I complain, they say my philosophy of: "I help you with something, and then you help me" does not make sense. They say "I don't owe you anything. You helped me, that was nice, but it should not be a tit for tat arrangement."

A common reply should be, "well find new and better friends." But most new friends seem to agree with the lady who I helped move but would not help me out when I needed her. Thoughts?
I remember once helping a friend pack for moving to a different location in the city. But when I needed a favor she was not interested in helping me. So I realized that she wasn't such a good friend and I simply moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships