Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The OP is having trouble finding a place because he is self-employed and has no pay stubs to prove his income.

It was suggested to him multiple times that his tax return for the last several years would be sufficient for a self-employed person. However, this didn't seem to help. It may be he is underreporting his income.

What he needs is to find a private landlord renting out something like a garage apt or guest cottage and who doesn't verify income.
Well since he pulled a fast one, he can use some of that unreported income to pay a few months rent in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
As someone that deals with a lot of private landlords, it's rare to find one dumb enough to not verify income. They are very aware of the fact that it is a nightmare to get someone in that can't pay the rent and they have to go through the eviction process to get them out. If they were ever naive in the beginning, they learn to verify later.

I suspect you are correct in that the OP is under-reporting income on his tax return.

Exactly, whether it is a corporate owned building or someone renting out a room in their home, they want proof the person can pay rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 02:24 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
As someone that deals with a lot of private landlords, it's rare to find one dumb enough to not verify income. They are very aware of the fact that it is a nightmare to get someone in that can't pay the rent and they have to go through the eviction process to get them out. If they were ever naive in the beginning, they learn to verify later.

I suspect you are correct in that the OP is under-reporting income on his tax return.
And sometimes you find private landlords who will take the time to talk to you and get to know a little bit about you which in turn makes them feel comfortable enough to give you a chance.

Happened to me when I moved 1700 miles away, and I told her that I had no job lined up, just a good chunk of savings to get me through for awhile.

She never verified my savings. And because of that trust, I did a lot of things at her house that I was renting for her for free. Sometimes people need to just talk to someone beyond, "What's yer job, how much you got? No dogs! No parties! No smoking!"

Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
You're looking at one of them.

Long, long story and not entirely appropriate here, but when we bought a new house and moved across the Bay the next-door neighbors at the old place asked if they could rent it as they were being "asked" to leave.

DH figured he knew them, they seemed all right, so why not? Turned out there were plenty of reasons why not. It took me five months to evict them.

Quote:
It's harder to get away with that in the long run these days. eBay and Amazon have IRS reporting requirements.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
Mods I dont know where this topic belongs but if it doesn't fit here move it to the right area.Anyways to make this short,i basically never got along with my sister as she is mentally unstable and immature.I been living with her for few months.I have saved enough money and i work online,so my job is home base.I am ready to move out and into a room only problem is im tired of waiting what i mean is i have posted on craigslist(looking for room/studio not apartment)either scams or fakes.I have the money,but whats the quickest way or atleast a legit website for me to get a room/rent a room?Is their affordable motels?I cant live with her anymore im fed up.I know everyone says its her house,still respect is needed.I'm not too worried i got money,etc just need find a way to move out asap!!
If her place caught fire you would HAVE to move , like now.
Put some effort into getting out, I could be out of my place today if I were inclined.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:

Long, long story and not entirely appropriate here, but when we bought a new house and moved across the Bay the next-door neighbors at the old place asked if they could rent it as they were being "asked" to leave.

DH figured he knew them, they seemed all right, so why not? Turned out there were plenty of reasons why not. It took me five months to evict them.

It's harder to get away with that in the long run these days. eBay and Amazon have IRS reporting requirements.
It's appropriate. It's a real life case of what could happen when they don't check.

Are there real-life feel-good stories of blind trust working out OK? Sure, I would think about 5% won't end up burned. Not good odds.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

Well you were naive, Cheryjohns covered that.

She said people either know better or if they don't and learn the hard way as you did, it doens't happen again.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Craigslist is perfectly legit. You just have to exercise caution. Another option is to look for bulletin boards or websites at colleges near you; off-campus students, especially grad students, often are in roommate situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships