Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

So tiresome. I guess it's a personality type. Either tolerate them or don't.

MinivanDriver struck a chord with: they aren't content for you to enjoy your own victories and triumphs

No matter what you say or do, they apply what you're saying to them or how you must be implying they don't measure up to whatever you're "bragging" about. Or no matter what you say, they flip it to be about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My husband is like this. Everything he does, he has to one-up me and anyone else. If his delicate ego requires this so be it. I ignore it mostly.
My other half to a TEE. I wonder if they got together if they'd eventually explode?

Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My other half to a TEE. I wonder if they got together if they'd eventually explode?
Haha you never know. My hubs is a perfectionist and he is his own competition mainly. Very hard on himself sometimes...

Old 05-22-2017, 11:53 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,307 times
Along the lines of viewing everything as a competition, another thing I've noticed with the particular person in question is that over time they have adopted my own mannerisms and general personality style. All the way down to the way I speak. One example is, I use my hands a lot when talking. Now he does the same thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm looking at the male version of myself. Yet, to my face, he refuses to compliment me. Won't give me acknowledgment when I deserve it. I mean, if you're going to copycat my entire personality, might as well give credit where credit is due.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Take it easy - life's not a competition.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:35 AM

800 posts, read 508,266 times
I'm pretty competitive when it comes to many trivial things, boardgames, athletics, video games, etc. I often dominate in a lot of these activities and sometimes I feel awkward when its over because I think the other person often enjoys it less when they don't win, or if they continue to lose against me. I never brag about it or rub it in their face in an immature way but I feel like some of them perhaps resent it anyways. Been on the receiving end of it too against people more serious about something than me. So I understand where the OP is coming from.

My personal observation is that with many activities, highly competitive people are often introverted. Outgoing people(generalization alert)often don't really care about the outcome of a friendly competition much, and are happy just spending time around others and conversing. A lot of introverted people like myself tend to care more about the inner workings of an activity and strategize on the details. What we lack in social value we like to make up for in skill. Of course, I don't make a habit of going around saying that stuff, as I think it makes me sound arrogant, or antisocial.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:59 PM

761 posts, read 604,079 times
That competitive person thinks "who is better than me?" about herself.

Don't let her entertain herself with you. She's using you as her muse.

She doesn't deserve you.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:46 AM

797 posts, read 751,615 times
Stay away from them. Stupidity combined with lack of maturity.
Stopped talking to a friend actually because of this. Idk what he was trying to do,but he would down talk me when we were in a crowd (other friends,their wives etc)
Although we could have great chat when it was just us,it got old. My wife said he envied me,
I believe it.
That's also part of what drives these low IQ losers. So again, I stay away.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:22 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Stay away from them. Stupidity combined with lack of maturity.
Stopped talking to a friend actually because of this. Idk what he was trying to do,but he would down talk me when we were in a crowd (other friends,their wives etc)
Although we could have great chat when it was just us,it got old. My wife said he envied me,
I believe it.
That's also part of what drives these low IQ losers. So again, I stay away.
I agree, and that is exactly what I finally did with my sister. She asked me once how much money I earned and stupidly I told her; her reply was, "Is that ALL?? I make TWICE that much!!"

As soon as she bought her first house she asked, "Aren't you EVER going to buy a house, will you ALWAYS be a renter?"

She has raised children, and since I was childless it was, "AREN'T you EVER going to have any KIDS???"

On and on until I ended any and all contact with her; life is pleasant now.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:34 AM

228 posts, read 161,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
So, you're just there, floating along in life, doing your thing. You're happy, you're fine. Then you get someone in your life who sees everything as a competition. Everything is reduced to a game to be won. So none of their interactions with you are genuine, because there's always an agenda.

Yet of course, they don't let you know they're playing this game. Not until you figure it out on your own. And then you wonder why the hell someone would live their life in such a way.

Stay away from them? Counter their idiocy?
Had a friend like that. She always complained how this ans that friend was competing with her.

After many years and many snide remarks, I realized she was competing with me all along.

These people are very toxic.

Snide remarks, backhanded compliments.....but with many redeeming qualities that it takes you a while to see their true colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships