Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,832,212 times

Advertisements

So, you're just there, floating along in life, doing your thing. You're happy, you're fine. Then you get someone in your life who sees everything as a competition. Everything is reduced to a game to be won. So none of their interactions with you are genuine, because there's always an agenda.

Yet of course, they don't let you know they're playing this game. Not until you figure it out on your own. And then you wonder why the hell someone would live their life in such a way.

Stay away from them? Counter their idiocy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,036,225 times
People who see everything colored by winning and losing are game playing, they have yet to mature.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,278,927 times
Oh man, I recently encountered one of these, yet again, at 61 years old! It was a volunteer organization, and as soon as I figured out what her deal was, I just quit. Not worth it.

So, if you are in a situation where you can just quit or stay away from them, I advise that.

This latest person in my life would ask for help on something within a volunteer organization. Then if I, or anyone else, offered their help and their qualifications as to why their help would be worthy, this person would then seem angry, as if they were trying to show her up, and would then claim to have a degree on the subject.

And everyone in the room is thinking, where in the world did this anger come from? As if the person who offered to help -after help was asked for - was then insulting the person who asked for help!

Then, you realize that she never really wanted help. At any rate, it was just insanely twisted.

I had recently helped the organization recover from a potential huge disaster, and for some reason this woman found that to be an insult to her personally, and she did everything she could to prove she was just as...fill in the blank - capable, worthy, smart...whatever....as me. She turned it into some weird competition to prove I was not needed because she could do whatever I could do.

At any rate, who needs that kind of twisted angry energy in their lives? I wished the organization well, and got the hell out of there LOL.

Hope you can, too.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:14 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,279,483 times
At every opportunity, say, "Touche! You got me again!" They'll leave YOU alone because you refuse to play.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,097,456 times
That kind of thinking gives me ulcers. Isn't life stressful enough already?

Old 05-18-2017, 07:25 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,832,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
That kind of thinking gives me ulcers. Isn't life stressful enough already?
One would think so! I would be exhausted constantly scheming like that. It's like they think if they don't "win" or get the better of the other person then they're worthless. Like there can be only ONE winner in any given interaction, and it just MUST be them. It really kills relationships, intimacy (if applicable)...all of that.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,662,352 times
Great Thread !

This type of person, competition behavior, is exhausting to be around.

Something in them is missing and they're trying to find a way to feel their self worth. This type of person needs to find a way to validate themself, then they wouldn't be behaving immaturely.

One of my guy friends is like this it's so unnecessary. I told him I wasn't going to discuss certain subjects with him since I'm just trying to have a calm conversation and he think it's a competition. Geez !

Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 PM

9,339 posts, read 6,880,975 times
TBH they are weak and just seeking attention. If you embrace this you may actually be able to work with them on it.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,458,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
So, you're just there, floating along in life, doing your thing. You're happy, you're fine. Then you get someone in your life who sees everything as a competition. Everything is reduced to a game to be won. So none of their interactions with you are genuine, because there's always an agenda.

Yet of course, they don't let you know they're playing this game. Not until you figure it out on your own. And then you wonder why the hell someone would live their life in such a way.

Stay away from them? Counter their idiocy?
If it was over something quite trivial I'd tell them to crack on as it shows just how trivial they really are

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 AM

10,494 posts, read 6,935,803 times
They are exhausting. What's more, they aren't content for you to enjoy your own victories and triumphs, making them people you really don't want to be with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships