Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
This sounds like a ploy to get presents.
Just like every engagement party I've ever been to .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 07:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-fused View Post
Wonder what the honeymoon is like. Shower head and then a good cry into a pillow?

LOL!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I think it is silly and kinda self absorbed... but it doesn't harm anyone, so I don't mind.

I find it equal to MGTOW. Unnecessary public statements that no one cares about.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-21-2017, 08:42 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
My impression was that a feminist believes a woman to be equal in all ways to a man. One can be exchanged for another in all things and nothing is lost or disadvantaged for it. Is that not correct? ...<snip>
I have no problems with equality. What I do have a problem with is expecting both equality and chivalry. Namely, "let me work high-paying jobs and divorce my husband, but also buy me dinner and give me alimony". Nuh-uh! That ain't how it works. You want equality? Then you gotta take the bad with the good! Otherwise, I want nothing to do with such a person.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-21-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 PM

600 posts, read 566,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
My impression was that a feminist believes a woman to be equal in all ways to a man. .

Um no, not EQUAL but superior. Not only do they demand "equality" in 2017, they still want everything else that men did for woman back in the 1900's.

Feminists have their double standards too.

Here are some getting owned by commonsense, logic, & critical thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7KGe2UnmE

I took Film in college and pretty much today's shows are catered to stay at home mom's.

For example shows like "I love lucy and Married with children" made Women look like dolts. Today, TV shows are all aimed at making men look like dolts. You know, the idiot man who hates his job, doesn't know how to do anything, blah blah...

Basically a role reversal.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I have no problems with equality. What I do have a problem with is expecting both equality and chivalry. Namely, "let me work high-paying jobs and divorce my husband, but also buy me dinner and give me alimony". Nuh-uh! That ain't how it works. You want equality? Then you gotta take the bad with the good! Otherwise, I want nothing to do with such a person.

You are confusing two separate issues.

You, of course, may court however you wish, but there are plenty of men who are chivalrous who also view women as equals.

Alimony has nothing to do with chivalry, it has to do with the law. I believe the law over compensates for when women were divorced (after being stay at home mothers and wives, as was expected), and discarded with no way to support themselves.

You have so many different issues when it comes to what makes a healthy relationship, that you are fated to fail.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-21-2017, 10:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You're kind of behind the times here. Alimony is not often given out these days especially when a spouse can support him or her self. Maybe you're confusing it with community property as some states have.

Regarding the ceremony, it's just a silly little party people might want to have for themselves. If it does not harm, what's the big deal. People do much worse things.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:41 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
One thing that hasn't been explained, is are these "sologamists" swearing-off men completely and planning to live celibate lives? Or is it just marriage they will avoid? Since only a small fraction of Millennial couples get legally married, how would that trend fit together with this? Actually, women who were keen on having some action with guys, but didn't want continuing hookups with them, would be ideal with a lot of men.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Since these women are 'getting married', if they continue to hook up with men are they cheating/ committing adultery?

Old 05-22-2017, 05:41 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
For example shows like "I love lucy and Married with children" made Women look like dolts. Today, TV shows are all aimed at making men look like dolts. You know, the idiot man who hates his job, doesn't know how to do anything, blah blah...
Actually, "Married with Children" made men look like dolts. Al Bundy was a rank-and-file shoe salesman, and Mr. Darcy always got walked over by his wife. But it made women look like shrews who always screwed over their husbands. Well, Peggy Bundy had a comedic likability to her; but Mrs. Darcy was awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships