Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:48 PM

361 posts, read 431,765 times

Advertisements

I should have also included that he and his girlfriend hang out every single day. He gets out of work before she does, and as soon as she gets out and gets home, he comes to her house and they hang out until she goes to bed. She also gets annoyed that he doesn't let her relax for a couple of hours after work, but I will add that he not only does this with me, but with her and his other friends. So the notion that he is secretly gay and has a crush on me is ridiculous, I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,223 times
Are you sure you want to still go on a vacation with this guy??Please cancel while you still can...

Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 PM

361 posts, read 431,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Are you sure you want to still go on a vacation with this guy??Please cancel while you still can...
Yes, I am sure. How dare you ask me to cancel.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,715 times
OP:

So exactly what do you want to happen regarding your friendship with this guy?
Exactly what advice do you want from us?
Exactly what do you plan on doing regarding his refusal to take no for an answer?
Why are you getting defensive?
Is there more to this story regarding the 2 of you that you are not telling us?

Last edited by snugglegirl05; 05-21-2017 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I have just gotten home from college about a week ago, and I have a friend I used to work with who asks me to hang out with him and his girlfriend every single day. I go most days because they are fun people and I genuinely love hanging out with them, and we are going on a cruise in July, but when I either can't or don't want to go, he continues to persist until I either give in or stop answering. For example, this was the conversation last night.
Him: Are you busy tonight?
Me: Yeah I am, sorry.
Him: What are you doing?
Me: Hanging out with John (my friend from high school).
Him: What time and for how long?
Me: Pretty soon and until 11 because he has to get up at 5 tomorrow). I was lying here so he wouldn't persist).
Him: Why don't we all hang out later then?
Me: We can't because John has to get up early.
Him: You're hanging with him until 11. Why can't we hang out with you also?
Me: Because his parents want us to stay home.
Him: Ok.
He does this all other days too that I can't or don't want to hang out. It doesn't matter if I have plans already. He just insists that I meet up with him and his girlfriend (who I am also friends with) either before or after the other event, no matter how early or late it is. To make matters worse, he was about to text me again last night to hang out after I left my other friend's house at 11, but his girlfriend told him to leave me alone. At that point I would've shut my phone off. Is there any way I can approach this with him if it happens again (which I'm sure it will), or should I just not answer when I can't or don't want to hang out. I don't want to hang out with him and his girlfriend, or any person, every single day. I'd just get tired of it. He is very sensitive as well. And part of the reason I haven't said anything yet is because I like having the option if I do want to go.
If you actually really love hanging out with him and want to remain friends - step 1 is figuring out whether that is true and you say it is, then be an adult and tell him that sometimes you like having specific plans with specific people. Including specific plans with him. That the insistence of hanging out in a big crowd all the time isn't what you prefer but that you want to remain friends. Then later when he gets clingy you can make a joke of it. I know its hard and feels confrontational. Learning the lesson that open honest communication is the only way to maintain relationships is an important one and like most important things doesn't come easy.

Essentially you have a person who likes his relationships close and inclusive all the time. There are a lot of people who really hate being alone. He is I want to be in a big puppy pile all the time and I want all your friends to be part of it, the bigger the better. You are not. There isn't anything wrong with either way other than it doesn't work for everyone. That doesn't mean you can't be friends. You need to realize who he is and he needs to realize who you are and you both try to accomodate each other. Talk about it!

All these people here who call others toxic and then ghost people are very immature and exhibiting toxic behavior themselves. Be kind, be honest, stay non confrontational. If they get upset say I'm sorry I upset you, take some time to think about it, I hope you call.
You don't want to go through life causing other people hurt feelings, insecurities. Seeing people that you have to hide from or ignore. Doesn't mean you have to be a doormat either but you don't have to be cold distant or whatever either. Take care of it up front honestly and it will work out one way or another. At the very least, if you don't remain friends, they will at some point mentally and emotionally feel good about your honesty and you will have a reputation for being an honest decent guy.

Last edited by Giesela; 05-22-2017 at 05:42 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
lol. He likes the guy. He just doesn't want to eat, sleep and breathe the guy.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,662,523 times
This is a good life lesson in learning how to set boundaries. He's a good friend, and understandably you don't want to hurt his feelings, but it sounds like his girlfriend has also twigged to the idea that he's being a little too demanding, when she told him to "lay off".

You don't owe this guy your minute-by-minute itinerary. Just laugh and say, "No, don't plan on me tonight, I'll give you a call if anything changes." If he persists, you can kiddingly say, "Hey, (friend), even my mother doesn't ask me this many questions!"

Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I would say to be honest be tactful. Finding good friends is difficult so if you value them then be courteous.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
I agree to ignoring detailed questioning. Once you say you already have plans, just don't answer any more about that. He will learn to stop asking after being informed you are booked.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:57 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
For example, this was the conversation last night.
Him: Are you busy tonight?
Me: Yeah I am, sorry.
Him: What are you doing?
Me: Hanging out with John (my friend from high school).
Him: What time and for how long?
This is where you should have ended the conversation:

"Stop it. I said no, I can't go out tonight. Talk to you later."

*hang up*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships