Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAndUnsure View Post
I think most people on here agree that common decency is the best option, with possibly one or two good friends. But always maintain some distance as no one like a Nosy Nelly.
I totally agree. In fact, I view my neighbors as colleagues of sorts. That is, I view them as human beings and make an effort to be friendly. I'll even call a locksmith for them if they get locked out. But I will keep a respectful distance and enforce a boundary or two, as far as spending time and sharing my personal life is concerned. I've done that with the neighbors in my apartment building, and absolutely no one ever got upset with me over that. We still say hello in the hallways and eat together at resident socials.

Speaking of colleagues, I did become friends with my colleagues in the past, and kept in touch long after the job ended. But it was my first office job (not retail), and I was 21. It was a whole different mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,490 times
Robert Frost poem- "Mending Wall"
"Good fences make good neighbors"

Old 06-02-2017, 06:49 PM

212 posts, read 156,376 times
Never more than a hi, bye, have a good night, how are you, have a good day if any of those lol. I live in a complex of maybe 30 units. I usually wait for someone to talk to me (I'm shy). If I feel chipper, I'll say something first. I was chipper today since the weekend is starting and saw a girl in my complex with a puppy version of my dog. I wasn't thinking and said "Hi. I love Leo! He has grown into a fine dog!". I think I may have creeped her out because she never told me the name of her dog. I just overheard her once say it lol.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:10 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
So, are you going to socialize the neighborhood by having a nice open house party for Fourth of July or Christmas, fostering the creation of new friendships?

Old 06-05-2017, 09:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
What are you waiting for?
I'm afraid if somehow she gets mad. She may turn me into
A salamander, frog or worse , a vegan

She does cook for me. I should wait til the next full moon
And ask her for an ice cream. Or join me in watching
Rosemary's baby

Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
At 8 this morning, my husband and I had an appointment with his oncologist to find out whether he had lung cancer or not. And then he was scheduled for chemo. We live in town and our driveway butts up to the neighbor's lawn. Rather than traipse over their lawn, my husband usually backs the truck down our driveway and I enter the passenger side from the sidewalk. This morning, the neighbor stood on his lawn, looking passive aggressively "patient" to water his flowers while we waited for traffic to subside enough that we could pull out onto the street. I smiled at him and said, "Hello." He glared and couldn't bother to smile or answer back. This morning was the second time I've ever even made eye contact with the guy, so it's not as if he has reason to be hateful. We don't have parties, we don't smoke, drink, have pets, listen to loud music... our house is kept nice... the lawn is mowed. I planted flowers, we adhere to the "rules" of the neighborhood. I simply cannot understand the hateful mindset. And I was in no mood to deal with such petty behavior this morning. I keep trying and keep getting met with hatefulness. It's disgusting.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:21 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
this is the first house we've ever owned. the neighbors are all older who've lived there for decades. my husband and i are pretty friendly and outgoing. we've gotten to know most everyone. what surprises me is that none of these neighbors seem to talk to each other at all. one family after living there for 25 years moved last weekend. we went over to bring some dessert and say goodbye and they said we were the only one to do so! i was kinda shocked! these people have lived in the same neighborhood for decades, their kids were friends when young and grew up together. but there's no friendships or relationships. is that common?
I'd say it would describe our neighborhood, which is a culdesac. My husband is the social butterfly and he thinks it's important to know your neighbors. I do, too, but to an extent. I do chat with a few neighbors but with limits, as I do not want neighbors inside my house. Chatting is outside only. There is very little mingling (talking) between neighbors.

One couple next to us has lived here 20+ years and there are only 2-3 residents he talks to. His wife talks to only one person - my husband (and occasionally me). We have only one house of weirdos that nobody likes but they keep to themselves. About 3 homes has a tendency to have a lot of turn-over in ownership while the rest do not.

What I can say in our neighbor's favor, though, is that everyone has a live-and-let-live attitude. Nobody cares if someone's grass is tall or if a dead vehicle sits on a driveway. We call it "the neighborhood of low expectations" and I love it.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
my neighbor to my left and I are really good friends. She's kinda rachet and I like that. My other neighbor is very quiet and has a family. When i see him or his wife, my face lights up but we don't have much to talk about. lol. He's a good person though.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:41 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
At 8 this morning, my husband and I had an appointment with his oncologist to find out whether he had lung cancer or not. And then he was scheduled for chemo. We live in town and our driveway butts up to the neighbor's lawn. Rather than traipse over their lawn, my husband usually backs the truck down our driveway and I enter the passenger side from the sidewalk. This morning, the neighbor stood on his lawn, looking passive aggressively "patient" to water his flowers while we waited for traffic to subside enough that we could pull out onto the street. I smiled at him and said, "Hello." He glared and couldn't bother to smile or answer back. This morning was the second time I've ever even made eye contact with the guy, so it's not as if he has reason to be hateful. We don't have parties, we don't smoke, drink, have pets, listen to loud music... our house is kept nice... the lawn is mowed. I planted flowers, we adhere to the "rules" of the neighborhood. I simply cannot understand the hateful mindset. And I was in no mood to deal with such petty behavior this morning. I keep trying and keep getting met with hatefulness. It's disgusting.
After you got brushed off the first time you should've kept it moving.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
After you got brushed off the first time you should've kept it moving.
Next time he's standing a foot from the front bumper of my vehicle I'll consider keeping it moving! He probably won't like it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships