U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:25 PM

15,672 posts, read 8,338,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
To many people who live on the streets, having a job and a schedule and a fixed place to live feels like a trap. It doesn't make sense to most of us, but they feel freedom living the way they do.
Yes for quite a lot it's by choice which doesn't compute with most but their as happy as Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 PM

6,092 posts, read 2,809,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
The classic book "Games People Play" gives brief but deep insight into this. The game is called "Alcoholic" and involves many roles and moves. It's literally a step-by-step blueprint to how addicts think and function.

There is also a game called "Wooden Leg" which is about finding excuses. I'd also say that the "Kick Me" game is a favorite of down-and-outers.
Why...A very good read to recommend! Thanks for pointing out some of the dynamics.

On topic: had recently been reliant on public transportation for getting to and fro work. It's been an eye opener in many ways. One being about the homeless who have their own manipulative method to survive each day.
I say this as I sat at a transfer station..With barely the fee to pay the fare. Much less having gone without lunch myself after working 8 hours. Yet the hustlers were out in droves. They had more cash in pocket then I. And no debt of electric bills...Health insurance....Ad nauseum.
In strolls a 20 yr old gal...Clearly physically abused by her bf. She is shaken...Bruised..And a bloody face. Her language explains how she got into this mess. I felt at first...Pity...Sorrow. even thought to give her a good night's rest as I have a pull out sofa. Then reality hit.. she would beg her abuser to come get her...And she'd Rob me blind. No thanks. So I did the next best thing... Left her be. Was I wrong to be careful? I can't see her getting a job or even accepting a break to improve. She is dipped in a world of hatred and hustlers.
If someone genuinely wants help..Then i'll contribute indirectly...Clothes..Or a ride to work...Or thru hot meals. The "get a job" comment..Just shows that the speaker didn't consider ..Is the person educated? How will they get to and from? What guarantee is there that they won't be fired?
I'm sure every now and again I'll revisit the what could I have done for this young girl....And maybe a different answer will come. For now ..My meager belongings are here...And my bus route will still open my eyes to the attitudes and antics of the homeless..Not all of them are safe to be around or employ...

Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM

8,601 posts, read 4,405,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
Ok so I had this conversation with my friend, true story a homeless man asked my friend for some change(the guy smelled like beer/liquor and he seemed drunk) and I'll assume he wanted to buy some more beer.But anyways my friend told the guy,go get a job and we walked away.Now to make this story short a few years back I was homeless luckily it was few months and I QUICKLY got back on my feet.I pretty much told my friend,its not as easy as he thinks to get a job especially in today's world back in the day yes now no.Anyways *some* of them have applied for jobs and lets face it,it can take MONTHS just to land a job,so imagine waiting for a job for 5 to 6 months thats a long time.Plus lets face it minimum wage jobs don't pay bills,these days you have to land top jobs just to survive or work two jobs.

So when people tell homeless people get a job,how about give a job huh?
Now imagine that five months, extended into 3 years or more ...

We have become increasingly picky in our relationships and employers ... even more so.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:51 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,426,835 times
Jobs are earned, not given.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Jobs are earned, not given.
as in all relationships ...

Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,536,654 times
Agree completely that many homeless out there are obviously unemployable. Drug abuse/alcoholism, mental illness, and/or personality quirks that ensure they will never be able to work on most jobs. So, telling them to "get a job" is obviously a pointless & ridiculous statement, which is why I've never said this to them.

Conversely, at least some of them out there who could be employable still prefer the homeless "lifestyle" to working a steady job.

Homelessness is a huge social problem that has gotten a lot worse in just the past 5-10 years.

In any case, I don't have any kind of solution to this. However, I don't believe that giving money to these people is helping - it's just enabling them.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-23-2017 at 05:24 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Agree completely that many homeless out there are obviously unemployable. Drug abuse/alcoholism, mental illness, and/or personality quirks that ensure they will never be able to work on most jobs. So, telling them "get a job" is obviously a pointless & ridiculous statement, which is why I've never said this to them.

Conversely, also obviously at least some of them out there who could be employable still prefer the homeless "lifestyle" to working a steady job.

Homelessness is a huge social problem that has gotten a lot worse in just the past 5-10 years. I'm not sure why. I'm thinking the recession of the late 200X's had a lot to do with this, but obviously there's a lot more to it than that.

In any case, I don't have any kind of solution to this. I don't believe that giving money to these people is helping - it's just enabling them.
About 20 years ago I heard this DJ over the radio, he was undergoing an interview from someone else as his story was of interest. (wish i could remember his name) He was a DJ at a radio station some where in New York, he earned a pay check and he was homeless. He would take $10.00 out of his check and for the rest of it, he donated it to a, charity to the homeless, so as they could receive blankets and such.

Many people don't think now about the 30's and homelessness, so here's a bit of history ...

Hoovervilles

Sometimes a person can do all they know to do and still they remain homeless. Sometimes the simplest answer to the problem, is there isn't one, but a life however we live it.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:49 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,046,227 times
I was homeless briefly and I did have a job at the time

Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM

1,235 posts, read 615,811 times
A young (early 20's) our came up to me and asked me if I could help him get something to eat. I pointed out two construction sites across the street and one just behind us and told him to go over there and talk to the foreman and ask for a job. General labor. Always needed on those sites here. Make money, get food to eat.

Guess what his answer was?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:11 PM

65 posts, read 47,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
A young (early 20's) our came up to me and asked me if I could help him get something to eat. I pointed out two construction sites across the street and one just behind us and told him to go over there and talk to the foreman and ask for a job. General labor. Always needed on those sites here. Make money, get food to eat.

Guess what his answer was?
Yes they will just hire you in 5 minutes,with out paper work,id,background check,and heck how many people applied?

And some random homeless young man will get the job in 5 minutes!
Cool idea,have you tried it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or