U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 27 days ago)

12,314 posts, read 7,458,312 times

Advertisements

He a summer-only hire, back for another year where I work; he's somewhere between age 18 and 23, and you can tell after just a few minutes that he's not "playing with a full deck".

He's not openly rude, and there are any number of menial, time-consuming duties to which he can be assigned, but he usually makes his disappointments known. And the supervisors, many of whom are also young and among whom there's a high turnover, don't always stand up to him.

What's worse, a couple of the female employees have learned (through his braggadocio, that he's quite capable of sex; which brings back memories of some years ago when I managed a struggling, past-its-prime hotel, and the houseman, also not-that-bright, impregnated one of the housekeepers who was "playing in an even lower league". Two, more victims at the public trough.

A couple of the supes have already raised the prospect of transferring our problem child to the evenings-only "sanitation squad" -- something I'm sure he's not going to be happy about. But as it now stands, sometime in the next couple of years, "Joey" is going to come to the realization that life loses its luster very early in cases such as his -- and while I recognize that none of us has a right to play God, I wonder how much more damage is likely to turn up on "the ride downhill".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 03:56 PM

14,168 posts, read 44,731,825 times
Are you the manager of this hotel? I guess all you can do is keep an eye on him, and have your supervisors keep an eye on him, insist that they do stand up to him.

The 21st century is not a good place to be if you are on the far left hand side of the bell curve. There are not that many jobs people like Joey can do.

That's about all I can offer in the way of semi-useful advice. This is a problem of picking the "least bad" option out of several bad options.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:02 PM

22,457 posts, read 24,016,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Are you the manager of this hotel? I guess all you can do is keep an eye on him, and have your supervisors keep an eye on him, insist that they do stand up to him.
This^^^ If he's that young, he might not know what professional workplace behavior is supposed to look like. It's not necessarily standing up to him, it's managing him: letting him know what is and isn't expected of him and what is and isn't appropriate.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:51 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,598,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
He a summer-only hire, back for another year where I work; he's somewhere between age 18 and 23, and you can tell after just a few minutes that he's not "playing with a full deck".

He's not openly rude, and there are any number of menial, time-consuming duties to which he can be assigned, but he usually makes his disappointments known. And the supervisors, many of whom are also young and among whom there's a high turnover, don't always stand up to him.

What's worse, a couple of the female employees have learned (through his braggadocio, that he's quite capable of sex; which brings back memories of some years ago when I managed a struggling, past-its-prime hotel, and the houseman, also not-that-bright, impregnated one of the housekeepers who was "playing in an even lower league". Two, more victims at the public trough.

A couple of the supes have already raised the prospect of transferring our problem child to the evenings-only "sanitation squad" -- something I'm sure he's not going to be happy about. But as it now stands, sometime in the next couple of years, "Joey" is going to come to the realization that life loses its luster very early in cases such as his -- and while I recognize that none of us has a right to play God, I wonder how much more damage is likely to turn up on "the ride downhill".

The bolded part, why didn't you speak up when you found out Joey was coming back as a summer hire?

There must be plenty of college kids who would like the job, you know his track record and you or no one else says anything?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:18 PM

11,367 posts, read 20,163,370 times
Is this just a co-worker?

Old 05-29-2017, 07:16 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,013,527 times
Be thankful that you have been blessed with more smarts than Joey and see what you can do in your normal work to help Joey learn about professional work environment behavior.

"Everyone has assignments that are not their favorites. I do those assignments first or fast to get them over with."

"Its not nice to talk about girl friends at work. We should be talking about work, unless you are on a break"

Joey can not help that he exists or that he has extra challenges to lead a mediocre life. Why add to his challenges.

Count your own blessings.

I worked in an office that purposely hired low IQ people to manage our mail room. Some employees just could not get over that they were slow, etc. but those that did came to appreciate their joy in doing little things, and could see how just a few kind words made their day. And my employer did that to give these people a chance at a decent job, and it was something they could do, and they stuck around.... not looking for upward mobility. Most of the employees were scientists. These souls gave us a different perspective on life in general.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:23 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,004,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

Do you ever wonder who and how many have written or stated the same thing about you that you have stated about *Joey*?
Also, why do you feel you have the right to play God with all of the judgmental statements you have made? Again, how many times have the same words been said about you?
I often wonder who should actually be referred to *in the low/lower league* the gossippee or the
gossipper......

Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 27 days ago)

12,314 posts, read 7,458,312 times
Well, the problem seems to have resolved itself (at least, for the time being); "Joey" hasn't been seen in about a week and his name no longer appears on the daily assignment rosters.

If the second-hand stories are accurate (supes are discouraged from discussing individual disciplinary actions), "Joey" apparently got into a dispute with a paying customer, then approached a supe about "filing a harassment charge" against that patron. Non compos mentis?

And so, what happens next? My guess is that "Joey" wouldn't have too much of a problem qualifying for SSI disability, but life for a person his age is going to get stale quickly if he has to live from small check to small check, And he's young and healthy, so I don't doubt that opportunities to work for "under the table" cash will turn up from time to time. But is this fair to the people (many of them with someone else to support) who are trying to play by the rules?

a few "feel-good" stories to the contrary, our economy is being turned into a shambles via a combination of de-industrialization and too much political / governmental interference. The "incentives" are there, but the path upward is long, twisted, and has any number of traps and dead-ends for the unwary. A little (mis-) information can be a dangerous thing, and the jungle gets thicker with every passing year.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:46 AM

3,732 posts, read 1,454,533 times
You are playing God.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:00 PM

14,168 posts, read 44,731,825 times
Where are you guys getting off that he's "playing God"? He was a supervisor to a guy who was obviously mentally challenged. I mean, if you are supervising a guy who is deaf, you need to put him into situations where his lack of hearing won't keep him from doing his job. If you are supervising a person who has limited mental processing ability (and they are out there, don't need a PhD in Psychology to recognize the situation) you likewise AS PART OF YOUR JOB AS SUPERVISOR need to put and keep them in roles they can handle.

Long term for this guy, yeah, it does not look good. If you don't have the brain power to be a quantum mechanic any more, well, job opportunities are limited. I guess him going on SSDI and occasionally working "under the table" is not an ideal outcome, but probably as good as you are going to get in the real world. It's not "fair" to people who are "playing by the rules" but then again life is not fair in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or