Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

We don't allow smoking at our house at all. I don't want it in my yard, my deck, my patio, my driveway, nowhere. Many smokers have ZERO consideration for non-smokers and leave their disgusting butts everywhere. I'm not a maid. I'm not their mother. I will not pick that disgusting stuff up thus no smoking at all on my property. Don't like it? Don't come over. My lungs don't mind. We don't allow vaping at our house either. No one knows what horrible chemicals are in those things. No thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 10:50 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
As a smoker myself if my host wished I didn't smoke on his property I would not..
I also am not a cry-baby and am respectful of the wishes of people who choose not to smoke..
It's quite simple really, unless it's pouring rain outside I'd simply excuse myself and take a short walk.
I do the same at restaurants, I do not sit right outside the doors and smoke, I go around the side or take a little walk while waiting or after dinner..

I'd then snub out the butt and throw it away in his outside waste receptacle..

Old 05-27-2017, 02:08 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
You can get an ashtray at the dollar store. Allow them to smoke, then ask them in the morning after all threat of a burning butt is gone, to empty the ash tray into a plastic bag. You should not be dealing with wet cigarette butts, that's just gross.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:08 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Any container with a lid..

Beach-type sand (can be found at a craft store or hardware)

nonbreakable containter like a foil lined nut container, or coffee can.

no sand will get wet once the lid is put on.

replace the container once it gets filled.

No washing. .... Or just buy one: Wall-mounted ashtray / stainless steel / for outdoor use / for public areas - BUTT.STOP - botton & gardiner urban furniture
The one pictured would have been ideal, but it's an Australian site, and even if they shipped to the U.K. it would have been an arm and a leg.
I looked around on-line, and found others, not quite as aesthetically appealing, but neat, and better than the water filled monstrosity that I have, and only around £29.00, ($37.00).
Wouldn't you know it, my darling wife demurred, "Whoa, back the truck up, I'm not having that ugly thing screwed onto my balcony wall, put sand in the old one, and I'll empty it."
Finally, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Most people who do not smoke would never allow other's to smoke on their property near their open doorways or windows.

Here in the U.S. most apartment complexes, businesses do not allow smoking within 20 feet of their entrance doors or windows. I'm not sure what guidelines are where you live, but use those guidelines and put a stop to this discourteous behavior by your relatives.
I'm reasonably sure that we have no such guidelines for housing, public or private in the U.K., commercial premises maybe, but even if there was, Brits are renowned for flipping the bird at authority, their attitude being, 'if I want to do X, I'm gonna do it, and that's it.'
Law enforcement usually adopt a myopic stance, unless they're really leaned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
If all of that is a case, then I'm having a hard time understanding why it's such a big deal. You seem uptight, OP. Really uptight. Chill out a little, and realize that "stinky hands" aren't the worst thing that can happen to a man lol...
I'm not uptight, I'm so mellow and laid back, people sometimes think that I've gone to sleep.
I don't like the smell of cigarettes, and I'm trying to find a way of avoiding that smell without alienating too
many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We don't allow smoking at our house at all. I don't want it in my yard, my deck, my patio, my driveway, nowhere. Many smokers have ZERO consideration for non-smokers and leave their disgusting butts everywhere. I'm not a maid. I'm not their mother. I will not pick that disgusting stuff up thus no smoking at all on my property. Don't like it? Don't come over. My lungs don't mind. We don't allow vaping at our house either. No one knows what horrible chemicals are in those things. No thanks!
I'd love to have the moxie or chutzpah to say "that's it, from now on no one smokes here, period", but that would mean alienating my wife's side of the family, as they're the only ones that smoke, and I'd rather have a quiet life, where I eat regularly, I hate arguing with my wife, she doesn't always win, but she never forgets.
Anyway, as I've already said, the problem is solved now, but thanks everyone for chipping in.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post

I'd love to have the moxie or chutzpah to say "that's it, from now on no one smokes here, period", but that would mean alienating my wife's side of the family, as they're the only ones that smoke, and I'd rather have a quiet life, where I eat regularly, I hate arguing with my wife, she doesn't always win, but she never forgets.
Anyway, as I've already said, the problem is solved now, but thanks everyone for chipping in.
Do you value your health? Smoking is known to cause cancer amongst other diseases that kill. Take charge of your health! Man up! Your problem is that you hate arguing with your wife. Sit down and have a civilized conversation with her about this. The smoking bothers you and it endangers your health.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:20 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do you value your health? Smoking is known to cause cancer amongst other diseases that kill. Take charge of your health! Man up! Your problem is that you hate arguing with your wife. Sit down and have a civilized conversation with her about this. The smoking bothers you and it endangers your health.
Just out of interest how does someone else smoking outside and away from him effect HIS health?

I know " secondhand smoke " is a killer and wrong to inflict on non smokers but that's not an issue here as he's inside when they go outside for a smoke

Old 05-28-2017, 01:51 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Just out of interest how does someone else smoking outside and away from him effect HIS health?

I know " secondhand smoke " is a killer and wrong to inflict on non smokers but that's not an issue here as he's inside when they go outside for a smoke

Thanks for that friend, I was mulling over a comeback for ss20ts, in particular the "man up" bit, but you've summed up a sensible reply right there.
Maybe because I've intimated often that I don't like to argue with my wife, he's construed that I'm p***y whipped, well I'm not, but I sure as hell ain't going to lay out all the reasons why he's wrong on here.
I was the OP on this thread, I asked for opinions, I got them, and as far as I'm concerned I'd be happy to see it consigned to history now that I've gone with the best suggestion, thanks everyone.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:07 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Thanks for that friend, I was mulling over a comeback for ss20ts, in particular the "man up" bit, but you've summed up a sensible reply right there.
Maybe because I've intimated often that I don't like to argue with my wife, he's construed that I'm p***y whipped, well I'm not, but I sure as hell ain't going to lay out all the reasons why he's wrong on here.
I was the OP on this thread, I asked for opinions, I got them, and as far as I'm concerned I'd be happy to see it consigned to history now that I've gone with the best suggestion, thanks everyone.
No you're welcome mate and as for the arguing with the missus I KNOW you're being more humorous than anything and not to be taken so literally

However it's quite easy to miss things in posts that are quite relevant and proceed go off on the wrong track and build up the wrong picture therefore making yourself redundant which I've only done a few thousand times myself

Old 05-29-2017, 01:31 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
If the ashtray is out on the balcony table for more than 7 or 8 days, it begins to smell bad, so I empty the water into the kitchen sink, then scrape up the butts and put them in the garbage, this causes my hands to stink of stale tobacco, and I have to seriously scrub them to remove the smell.
Gloves (rubber, latex, or nitrile) will prevent your hands from smelling like tobacco.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:04 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Well, I'm not over 60 yet.. next month..Lol.. but I remember smoking in the hospitals, doctors office, clothing stores.. You name it and people smoked there. Time's are a changin' bud.. Nowadays smokers are treated like they've got the plague.

If smokers visit.. your house, your rules, but I really see no reason why they can't smoke outside. Like other's have suggested give them an empty can filled with sand or cat litter, and then just throw it away after they leave. If you're worried about fire.. just spritz the inside of the can with a hose and then chuck it. No muss, no fuss.. It doesn't sound like they visit often so I don't see that it's a big deal.
Shoot, I'm older than that......

The first real job I had was one where men could smoke at their desks but women had to go to the couch in the outer part of the lady's rest room. It was considered unladylike for women to smoke in offices. Men could, though. Then women's lib came along and women were allowed to smoke at their desks. Next thing, nobody could smoke at their desk but could smoke in break rooms. Before long, smokers had to step outside to smoke. Now, nobody can smoke on the "campus", even in their own car.

The idea of a water filled ash tray makes me gag. Having been a life long heavy smoker with ashtrays inside and out, knowing how stinky a dirty one is after a rain is quite revolting. I always hated handling my own full ashtrays when they got wet.

But yes, we used to smoke everywhere. The second the "fasten seat belt" sign dinged off in airplanes, out came the cigarettes. Everyone smoked in airplanes, including the pilots and stewardesses. And all those places you named.

Ahhhhhhhhh, the good old days, lolol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships