U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2017, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,740 posts, read 12,637,025 times
Reputation: 16579

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted comment has been deleted).

Quote:
If you and your mother have a close relationship, why don't you see that it's just rude not to care about things she cares about - or at least give it 15 seconds of your time?

What if there was something you cared about, and your mom made it clear it bored her to pieces.

My guess is, your mother would happily listen to whatever it was you cared about but she really didn't, at ALL, but she would do it out of love for you.
My mom and I are close and I know she loves me, but actually she has no problem telling me when she isn't interested in something that I'm talking about. Like I said, she doesn't bite her tongue.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-26-2017 at 08:12 AM..

 
Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 PM
 
Location: here
24,839 posts, read 29,984,374 times
Reputation: 32387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
[snip]


My mom and I are close and I know she loves me, but actually she has no problem telling me when she isn't interested in something that I'm talking about. Like I said, she doesn't bite her tongue.
Then do the same to her, I guess. I think it's weird and rude, though. If that's how you talk to each other, why are you here telling us about it?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-26-2017 at 08:13 AM..
 
Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,036 posts, read 3,936,666 times
Reputation: 13531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I talk to my mom and dad regularly, but I have a very large extended family that I rarely associate with and I just don't care to hear about everything that happens in their lives. It may be interesting to my mom but it's not interesting to me.


Ok, I can see your point and I retract my earlier statement. HOWEVER, it sounds like it was important to your mother, so just humor her and let her tell you about it and send you the pics. It won't kill you! Just delete them.


OP, may I also say someday you might be getting married and then having a baby and everyone will be talking about you. Be happy for others happiness. Especially if its family! BE THE BIGGER PERSON!
 
Old 05-25-2017, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,740 posts, read 12,637,025 times
Reputation: 16579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Then do the same to her, I guess. I think it's weird and rude, though. If that's how you talk to each other, why are you here telling us about it?
Because I felt like it. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-26-2017 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate comment.
 
Old 05-25-2017, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
6,495 posts, read 7,738,980 times
Reputation: 15819
So really, this thread is about your mother and not some relatives baby?
 
Old 05-25-2017, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,740 posts, read 12,637,025 times
Reputation: 16579
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Ok, I can see your point and I retract my earlier statement. HOWEVER, it sounds like it was important to your mother, so just humor her and let her tell you about it and send you the pics. It won't kill you! Just delete them.


OP, may I also say someday you might be getting married and then having a baby and everyone will be talking about you. Be happy for others happiness. Especially if its family! BE THE BIGGER PERSON!
Actually no, I'll never get married or have a baby so everyone will be spared from hearing news about me that they don't really want to hear anyway.
 
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
 
9,887 posts, read 3,931,322 times
Reputation: 24950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
[snip]
My mom and I are close and I know she loves me, but actually she has no problem telling me when she isn't interested in something that I'm talking about. Like I said, she doesn't bite her tongue.
Okay, well then, fair enough. She's taught you very rude behavior, so you can't really be faulted for it. Mothers are primarily responsible for how socially graceful their children learn to be.

I can't imagine my mother not at least pretending to be interested in something I was telling her, and likewise, I have always acted interested in stuff my kids are interested in.

But it sounds like your family has a different way, and as long as it's a two-way street and everyone is okay with their loved ones being rude to them, I guess it works.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-26-2017 at 08:15 AM..
 
Old 05-25-2017, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,740 posts, read 12,637,025 times
Reputation: 16579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
So really, this thread is about your mother and not some relatives baby?
Yes, it's more about my annoyance at her sharing every single detail about her family with me. My dad doesn't do that when I talk to him.
 
Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 PM
 
Location: The Greater Houston Metro Area
8,985 posts, read 14,626,449 times
Reputation: 14868
You might want to be grateful that you have a mom that is interested in other people. It's a trait that would be worth emulating. Either that, or change your screen name to something more appropriate.
 
Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 PM
 
Location: here
24,839 posts, read 29,984,374 times
Reputation: 32387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yes, it's more about my annoyance at her sharing every single detail about her family with me. My dad doesn't do that when I talk to him.
Men don't generally do that. My mom tells me what is going on on both sides of the family, not my dad. That doesn't mean my dad is doing it right and my mom is doing it wrong.

ETA - every single detail would be calling you when the mother went into labor, telling you how far she wad dilated, when she got her epidural, how long she pushed, how much the baby weighed, how long the baby was, when the mom was going home... That's not what she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top