U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:40 PM

5,214 posts, read 5,127,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't think they understand condo living. It's not the best place for kids. There is no place to run around and play. And noise is rude to others. I understand I am going to hear adults and children's normal voices. But the Dad at the top of his lungs this AM YELLING a game of hide and go seek - ugh!

Where are you? Where are you? Oh there you are. Over and over. He can't even go far. There is no need to scream.

Then they had guests over this evening before it got dark and had 11 kids in the parking lot, which is also a STREET! I had to call the police. Toddlers out there with no supervision. I didn't know how to get out!

Do I go tell the kids get out of the street so I can use my car on it? Knock on their door and ask them to collect the babies?

No. Plus, another car could run them down. I had to call the police and I will do so everytime until they stop allowing this. I guess I can't do anything about the bellowing, but it's annoying.

PS they could go to the gated pool area. Besides the pool, there is a LOT of space to run around safely. BBQ pits. Tables and benches. That is more appropriate than in their front yard, which is community property.

One part I found ironic is the man hates dogs and doesn't want his kids petting them. But since no adults were out I let his son play with my dog. He was delighted! My dog gave a little lick on his hand which ticked and he giggled and loved it.

I felt guilty for teaching him to like my dog but hey - I did what I do when any kid comes up to my dog. She is sweet and gentle. I teach them how to pet her underneath her chin so as not to scare her. That's good training for other dogs they meet, IF the dog is nice. Part of the man's issue is practical - not wanting the kid to go up to just any dog. But if they are left in the street unsupervised guess what? Lots of dogs here will walk by.

What an idiot. I have never seen anything like that in my life. I asked the police is this a stupid phone call? They were like no, kids should not be in the street! Or anywhere outside that young by themselves. (His are two and four)

And condo living also means that you will have to hear/deal with neighbors on a regular basis, unless condos are soundproofed.

Why don't you let your neighbor politely know that sometimes the noise is a problem? I used to work nights and my downstairs neighbor (a man over 65, mind you) likes to play his music sometimes during the middle of the day, quite loudly. So one day I was trying to sleep and I just left him a note and it said, "Sorry to bother you, but I was just wondering if you could turn down the music a little bit because the reverberations are really coming through my bedroom and I work nights so I am trying to sleep." He probably didn't even know that I could hear or that I was a night shift worker, but he turned the music/bass down for me.

Honestly, you can hear so much in buildings. The woman above me is probably not even ninety pounds but I hear her walk back and forth all day because she works from home. I never say, "OMG! You! You're making noise!" What am I going to tell her not to walk around her apartment? It's just part of apartment life sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 01:51 PM

13,369 posts, read 6,601,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Why isn't it appropriate for them to play in a community property yard area? A parking lot isn't a play area but a yard should be.
They are fine if they stay in the grass or on the sidewalk. But they are too young it would seem to know the boundary past the sidewalk. Where there are cars.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:06 PM

717 posts, read 586,670 times
when i moved into a condo 15 years ago we were the only ones w/ young kids and we got so many frivolous complaints about our kids being too loud walking from the garage to our front door. it was stressful and annoying b/c we have every right to be there and do our thing. that said, now our kids are older and i def have less tolerance for other kids lol. we live in a house now and i can hear neighborhood kids screaming here and there. as long as it's not early morning i don't really care. our next door neighbors are pretty old and i'm sure our teens annoy them with their basketball dribbling on the street. actually what annoys me most are dogs barking loudly and early on in the morning.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I also live in a condo community. There is nothing for little kids to do here except for the pool (with their parents of course). There is no playground and they were told by the HOA that they couldn't even use sidewalk chalk! Seriously, what is the big deal, it washes away with the sprinklers or rain.

OP as for the neighbors keep doing what you are doing. Call the police or CPS as needed. You said the parents are immigrants so perhaps they are not fully aware of our societal customs yet.
Other people int he past have complained about things like sidewalk chalk. I think that is mean! Kids have to do something. I had a neighbor friend with a small child who was never outside unsupervised and she did sidewalk chalk and rode her little thing on the sidewalk.

I do not care if these kids do similar things even on 'my' sidewalk. During the day if 11 of them are ON the sidewalk or grass I have no room to complain.

I've seen older kids on bikes and skateboards or in the 'street' throwing a ball against the fence, which irritated some people but they are old enough to watch for cars and stayed in the area of parked cars, not moving cars.

TODDLERS in the part where people drive is NOT ok. I was not going to attempt to drive through them taking a chance that a two year old, who can't remember an instruction for 5 seconds, would pop out in front of me.

For THAT they need more than a neighbor asking a 'favor' to get 11 kids out of the way of traffic, please. They need police to say 'you can't let kids do this'. Ever. Period. The way some people drive home here they go too fast, especially those that live at the end or around the corner.

At one point before the police arrived the ones on bikes (which were very easy to see) had gone elsewhere but there went the 4 year old and then the 2 year old. That would be out of nowhere to someone driving and I do not want to see a dead or injured kid.

For the bellowing hide and seek game I will just have to live with that. Just as he has to live with dogs, although I take care that my dog doesn't do #2 on any area his kids get on. Even though I pick it up, I wouldn't want my own kids playing where dogs poop, so that is just common courtesy.

But I do think it's rude. People do raise their voices outside when speaking to one another, their guests, what have you, but yelling is rude.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Regarding the dog, lol. He didn't SAY he hates dogs, I can just tell. He was visibly disgusted when mine went up to him. If I am walking my dog and he wants to converse with me, she walks up to him like anyone else. (Though after that reaction the next time I saw him I held the dog closer so she wouldn't lick him)

He let his son pet her before but then put a stop to it and told me he doesn't want the boy to learn to go up to strange dogs that may not be nice like mine.

What do I do if 5 children, including him, come up to pet her? Act like a parent? 'Your father doesn't want you to pet her'. Or I could be a B and walk past them all. I don't want to encourage kids to be afraid of her or visa-versa.

One would think if he wants his kids safe from dogs he wouldn't leave them unsupervised in the street. He was safer petting the dog on the sidewalk than running in the street. AND he was DELIGHTED! So cute. He loves the dog.

The very first meet and greet with the dog was purposeful. She might bark at something that scares her and I already went through that nightmare before. My other dog was afraid of wheels so the prior neighbor's baby in a stroller made her bark, barely able to see who was coming down the street, and that guy said he'd END her if she ever barked at his baby again.

SO, I wanted dog to acclimate to new people and visa-versa. I don't want her to ever bark at any of them seeing them as strangers. She needs to see them as friends.

But anyway there are no good options if they are out there alone and come up to her. We're on the sidewalk where we belong and she is properly leashed.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:33 PM

761 posts, read 380,403 times
Take photos. Try to record the yelling...for HOA

(and should it come to the point where you want to move
WAIT
until the kids return to school so its quieter during showings)

Old 05-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Take photos. Try to record the yelling...for HOA

(and should it come to the point where you want to move
WAIT
until the kids return to school so its quieter during showings)
I guess for me that is a grey area. I have a neighbor that yells a lot. She isn't meaning to yell, she is just speaking VERY LOUDLY to everyone. She likes to talk to people on upstairs patios from downstairs. When she does this with me I go down or invite her up and say 'I don't like yelling conversations outside' but the point is there is a certain noise level to be tolerated and a game of hide and seek is actually more valid than yelling to people on patios. The difference is one is by my bedroom window and the other isn't, but that isn't his fault.

There is just something off about that and him in general. With the kid so close, this level of yelling isn't needed. I just ..... he seems like he's doing a production all the time. Maybe I can articulate what makes me feel that way another time.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:38 PM

717 posts, read 586,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I guess for me that is a grey area. I have a neighbor that yells a lot. She isn't meaning to yell, she is just speaking VERY LOUDLY to everyone. She likes to talk to people on upstairs patios from downstairs. When she does this with me I go down or invite her up and say 'I don't like yelling conversations outside' but the point is there is a certain noise level to be tolerated and a game of hide and seek is actually more valid than yelling to people on patios. The difference is one is by my bedroom window and the other isn't, but that isn't his fault.

There is just something off about that and him in general. With the kid so close, this level of yelling isn't needed. I just ..... he seems like he's doing a production all the time. Maybe I can articulate what makes me feel that way another time.
i feel for you, but honestly it could be SO.MUCH.WORSE. as i said we owned a condo for 15 years, and rented out the last few years. our upstairs neighbor's shower leaked into our bathroom. she refused to fix it and hoa wouldn't do anything. and our HOA is the biggest ass in the world and will not admit fault to anything and the building is getting run down despite the massive amount they collect every month. we loved our condo for a long time but some seriously sucky things happened as well that we felt we had very little control over

Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
i feel for you, but honestly it could be SO.MUCH.WORSE. as i said we owned a condo for 15 years, and rented out the last few years. our upstairs neighbor's shower leaked into our bathroom. she refused to fix it and hoa wouldn't do anything. and our HOA is the biggest ass in the world and will not admit fault to anything and the building is getting run down despite the massive amount they collect every month. we loved our condo for a long time but some seriously sucky things happened as well that we felt we had very little control over
That is wild. Here, the HOA will get involved for something like that.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:18 PM

14,160 posts, read 44,709,521 times
Buy the complete "Getting Even Library" by George Washington Hayduke. There are more ideas in there than you can imagine.

For entertainment purposes only, of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or