U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:01 AM

13,369 posts, read 6,598,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
My apologies, there is a long time poster "Jen" something who lives in CA like me.

Well you said in your OP...." Do I go tell the kids get out of the street so I can use my car on it? Knock on their door and ask them to collect the babies?"...so yes it your place, someone is causing you angst due to their behavior, you go over and in polite but firm manner address the issue.

Now if they tell you to go F yourself, than you take some action. Start with the HOA and if need be go higher up.

But you have to remember you have to live in close proximity with these people, so pick your strategy wisely.

Calling CPS isn't a wise choice.
Which is part of why I called the police. If I go and interject myself into how they parent, that does not go over well.

Did you know your kids are in the street? I mean, there is just no way to say that that doesn't come over as 'You are sucky parents'.

Or, I can't get out of my parking space! Comes across as mean lady neighbor.

THEN after one has complained directly to people and it doesn't work,, when the HOA or police come,, they know who called them.

Much better for police to come at the start and say This is Totally Unacceptable. We are not talking about noise, we are talking about TODDLERS IN THE STREET. At risk of being RUN OVER. I saw one car come in and people go around this corner pretty fast to zoom to their spot. They did a full stop in front of the kids and didn't know how to get past them. It was insane. They ended up taking a spot far sooner than where they normally park. Is that a big deal? No, what would have been a big deal is if they had come around the corner after the bigger kids of bikes (easy to see) were gone and right at the time the 2 year old darted out in the street and SPLAT goes the two year old. No one wants that to happen!

I feel like something is being missed here. a two year old and a 4 year old IN THE STREET with adults nowhere in sight.

I'm not calling CPS for a one-time mistake. (I have never called CPS in my life. That can turn people's lives into total nightmares) I was only saying that is the sort of thing that does get CPS called by some people. The kids are clean and nourished and well-dressed and well-cared for. When they walk each adult holds the hand of one kid or the two year old is being carried. I think they are normally very good parents.

On this occasion there were a lot of kids, the wife wasn't paying attention, of they thought the street was acceptable playground with the older kids watching, I don't know. I know someone (not me) needed to explain (like the law) that the street is not a playground.

If there had been no toddlers I could have said to the other kids hey I'm coming through! in a nice way.

But toddlers don't remember instructions for more than a few seconds. Get out of the road. Ok. 2 seconds later they are back. Attention spans like gnats, that is why we watch them ALL the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:24 AM

16,990 posts, read 20,588,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Which is part of why I called the police. If I go and interject myself into how they parent, that does not go over well.

Did you know your kids are in the street? I mean, there is just no way to say that that doesn't come over as 'You are sucky parents'.

Or, I can't get out of my parking space! Comes across as mean lady neighbor.

THEN after one has complained directly to people and it doesn't work,, when the HOA or police come,, they know who called them.

Much better for police to come at the start and say This is Totally Unacceptable. We are not talking about noise, we are talking about TODDLERS IN THE STREET. At risk of being RUN OVER. I saw one car come in and people go around this corner pretty fast to zoom to their spot. They did a full stop in front of the kids and didn't know how to get past them. It was insane. They ended up taking a spot far sooner than where they normally park. Is that a big deal? No, what would have been a big deal is if they had come around the corner after the bigger kids of bikes (easy to see) were gone and right at the time the 2 year old darted out in the street and SPLAT goes the two year old. No one wants that to happen!

I feel like something is being missed here. a two year old and a 4 year old IN THE STREET with adults nowhere in sight.

I'm not calling CPS for a one-time mistake. (I have never called CPS in my life. That can turn people's lives into total nightmares) I was only saying that is the sort of thing that does get CPS called by some people. The kids are clean and nourished and well-dressed and well-cared for. When they walk each adult holds the hand of one kid or the two year old is being carried. I think they are normally very good parents.

On this occasion there were a lot of kids, the wife wasn't paying attention, of they thought the street was acceptable playground with the older kids watching, I don't know. I know someone (not me) needed to explain (like the law) that the street is not a playground.

If there had been no toddlers I could have said to the other kids hey I'm coming through! in a nice way.

But toddlers don't remember instructions for more than a few seconds. Get out of the road. Ok. 2 seconds later they are back. Attention spans like gnats, that is why we watch them ALL the time.

PLEASE....LOL.

The bolded parts.

By going over in a calm and pleasant manner and saying to someone that you can't get out of your parking space isn't being mean, it's called being logical.

That's the problem today with many(the sheeple), so afraid to speak up when someone's behavior isn't appropriate.

I saw this recently in a hospital in the billing/records dept. A freind asked me to drive them to pickup medical records. The protocol was you took a number and when they called your number you went to the window. It was very busy and my friend's number was getting closer(it had been about 40 minutes).

A woman just strolls in and starts talking to the clerk at the window, after awhile I realize she isn't going to take a number, she is cutting in front of everyone else.

Not one person said anything, well I did.....LOL.

I told her she needs to take a number and sit down like everyone else, she started to object and I than asked other people what their number was, and others finally spoke up, well she sat her rear end down.

Maybe some are afraid these days to speak up at all, fearful the other person has a gun. IDK.

We have to pick and choose our battles in life, but to not even try to talk to the neighbors first. If you find it's like talking to a wall, than you go up the food chain.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:30 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,367,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
when i moved into a condo 15 years ago we were the only ones w/ young kids and we got so many frivolous complaints about our kids being too loud walking from the garage to our front door. it was stressful and annoying b/c we have every right to be there and do our thing. that said, now our kids are older and i def have less tolerance for other kids lol. we live in a house now and i can hear neighborhood kids screaming here and there. as long as it's not early morning i don't really care. our next door neighbors are pretty old and i'm sure our teens annoy them with their basketball dribbling on the street. actually what annoys me most are dogs barking loudly and early on in the morning.
That would annoy the daylights out of me, even more so than loud music. The constant ker-plunk, ker-plunk of dribbled balls is not something that belongs in apartments or condos unless they have a playground for that and other purposes and far enough away from residents. It doesn't belong in residential areas with close-in houses. That's what schoolyards, gyms and parks are made for. And, yes, I'm old but I didn't like it when I was young either. That was also when I was teaching my children to be considerate of others and good neighbors.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:38 PM

13,369 posts, read 6,598,498 times
Quote:
PLEASE....LOL.

The bolded parts.

By going over in a calm and pleasant manner and saying to someone that you can't get out of your parking space isn't being mean, it's called being logical.

That's the problem today with many(the sheeple), so afraid to speak up when someone's behavior isn't appropriate.

I saw this recently in a hospital in the billing/records dept. A freind asked me to drive them to pickup medical records. The protocol was you took a number and when they called your number you went to the window. It was very busy and my friend's number was getting closer(it had been about 40 minutes).

A woman just strolls in and starts talking to the clerk at the window, after awhile I realize she isn't going to take a number, she is cutting in front of everyone else.

Not one person said anything, well I did.....LOL.

I told her she needs to take a number and sit down like everyone else, she started to object and I than asked other people what their number was, and others finally spoke up, well she sat her rear end down.

Maybe some are afraid these days to speak up at all, fearful the other person has a gun. IDK.

We have to pick and choose our battles in life, but to not even try to talk to the neighbors first. If you find it's like talking to a wall, than you go up the food chain.
We will have to agree to disagree. This way worked out perfectly. An authority figure came out and said this is not ok, so now they know. No ticket was written, nothing bad happened. And I have not started a bad relationship with my neighbor.

I bet they never do it again, whereas with what they might see as just a bothersome neighbor telling them, it might. And it needs to never happen again.

We are not talking about MY convenience. TODDLERS IN THE STREET ARE NOT SAFE.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:54 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,327,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That would annoy the daylights out of me, even more so than loud music. The constant ker-plunk, ker-plunk of dribbled balls is not something that belongs in apartments or condos unless they have a playground for that and other purposes and far enough away from residents. It doesn't belong in residential areas with close-in houses. That's what schoolyards, gyms and parks are made for. And, yes, I'm old but I didn't like it when I was young either. That was also when I was teaching my children to be considerate of others and good neighbors.
Me too. If I'm looking at a house to buy and I see a basketball net out next door, that house is automatically off my list.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:05 PM

31,268 posts, read 19,729,636 times
Well, a condo is no place for someone who likes quiet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-29-2017, 11:38 AM

16,990 posts, read 20,588,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Agree, neither is a neighborhood where the houses are close together.

You want guaranteed quiet and no annoying neighbors, live in the country.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:07 PM

22 posts, read 17,308 times
I love when new people move in and blast their wall sized tv/sound systems.

We had a guy (20 something who never spoke to anyone in the whole time he was here) move in.

The rules says no smoking but Mama starts burning a cigarette and leaves it out on a bench outside my window.

Then he gets up Sunday and blasts his stereo/tv at 6:30 am. Yes, 6:30. You could hear it down the road it was that loud.

He also had a dog he'd let run around off leash (another condo violation).

Then there was the girly who was studying to be a nurse who moved in after. She also liked playing with the volume button her music. She'd raise it up till it shook the walls for exactly 5 minutes (usually dinner time) then lower it. Then raise it again a few hours later. Weird mind games because she was sleep deprived. She would cackle on her always glued to her ear cell phone from 10 pm on. As soon as she knew we went to bed her antics would start.

"Renting is not pleasant." end of rant.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:05 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,367,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I knew there was a reason I never wanted to live in one.

Quote:
Agree, neither is a neighborhood where the houses are close together.

You want guaranteed quiet and no annoying neighbors, live in the country.
I do live in the country. I didn't always, however. That's probably why I do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or