U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 AM

15,672 posts, read 8,328,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would also go as far as to say most people who are prodigious posters on CD forum, over 5,000 posts (ahem ) probably don't have a lot of friends.

The time spent on here could be spent on the phone or on Facebook maintaining real friendships and posting pictures of what you did over the weekend.
Yes it's possible and especially for the less outgoing person however me for example I've never ever used a laptop to log on to CD and always my iPhone so that enables me to have a quick look if I'm out and about whether that's on a night out with friends or waiting for a bus etc.

I can assure you I've plenty of friends and am as outgoing socially as anyone, infact I'm try to kill time now waiting for a cab to go out tonight! which I'd suspect is the same for many on here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 10:39 AM

7,326 posts, read 11,489,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yes it's possible and especially for the less outgoing person however me for example I've never ever used a laptop to log on to CD and always my iPhone so that enables me to have a quick look if I'm out and about whether that's on a night out with friends or waiting for a bus etc.

I can assure you I've plenty of friends and am as outgoing socially as anyone, infact I'm try to kill time now waiting for a cab to go out tonight! which I'd suspect is the same for many on here
Well, you could have even MORE friends if you were on Facebook instead.

You don't have to justify yourself man. I didn't mean it in a negative way. I, myself, in case you hadn't noticed, have more than 5,000 posts.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 AM

2,133 posts, read 976,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
The question says it all, what factors and reasons are of some having more friends that others?
If you possess a skill (carpentry, plumbing, etc) or are in a position to provide others with a service or goods, you'll have more friends than the average schlub.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:56 AM

4,215 posts, read 7,114,054 times
Because.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:00 AM

15,672 posts, read 8,328,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well, you could have even MORE friends if you were on Facebook instead.

You don't have to justify yourself man. I didn't mean it in a negative way. I, myself, in case you hadn't noticed, have more than 5,000 posts.
Haha I'm not even on FB! And still mr popular!

Oh no you're fine I wasn't being combative or anything just adding my 2p

Thank you for the reply

Old 05-29-2017, 11:41 AM

902 posts, read 522,843 times
First, you need to define "friend". For introverts a friend is someone who is a kindred spirit, who "gets" you without you having to try so hard. As an introvert I have a few friends with whom I feel comfortable. The rest of the people I know fall into the "friendly acquaintance" category which is fine with me. My DH is an extrovert. He has many more friends but really few who are deep as far as a connection.

I do believe social interactions are like the animal kingdom. People are drawn to others who seem to have it all--good looks, financial success, solid family, very active social/recreational life. People with many friends are not negative or clingy. In essence they don't "need" you which is why people are drawn to them. Others want to be their friend subconsciously because they want to be part of all of the positivity in their lives. People who are wanting friends but can't seem to make any tend to give off a negative vibe of neediness. I often read on CD people who want a friend almost as a counselor with whom they can share their deepest thoughts and issues. Truth is most people don't desire that type of friendship. They don't want a friend who dumps on them or needs them too much. That is why they are drawn to people who already have many friends. It's a vicious cycle in a way.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:08 PM

801 posts, read 393,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
My friend has 5K friends on facebook, I have about 12.
I've got more real friends.
Your real friends can be counted on one hand.
I forgot the question..
Yup you have nothing to be ashamed of. Real friends are what matters. Theres a lot of people that feel like it strokes their ego if they have a massive friends list "Look at how popular I am everybody!". NOBODY has 5k real friends. The word "friend" is applied way too easily in Facebook.

An small example of differences between introverts and extroverts; A while back I was driving around doing errands, and I was very hungry so I went into a non-fancy restaurant alone and ate. Later when I told a friend about my day she said "Oh, you ate out alone? That sounds sad and depressing! I would have called up some people and had them join me." To me it was just an issue of wanting to relax and eat a good meal to fill my stomach. To some, almost everything has to be turned into a social activity. Whatever floats their boat I guess.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:18 PM

528 posts, read 187,209 times
Well, if you like being alone you're probably not gonna have as many friends as a "social butterfly." Some don't have time for everything, as they can't meet more obligations added onto their lives then now. It all depends

SSeligman

Old 05-29-2017, 04:21 PM

8,574 posts, read 10,776,860 times
Some people are more introverted and some are more extroverted. Period. The way you're hard wired is the way it is.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:29 PM

4,215 posts, read 7,114,054 times
If you have five real, actual, true friends in one lifetime you're doing well.

I don't mean social media friends, or people you hang with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or