Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Attractive, fun and outgoing personalities obviously find it easier to meet people and make the effort to get to know others and it's mutual usually as they tend to draw people to them.

If you're the opposite then you'll struggle naturally.
This is the closest to a real answer I have seen. I guess I'll rep the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is the closest to a real answer I have seen. I guess I'll rep the post.
Thank you for your kind words and the rep

I've returned the favour

Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Thank you for your kind words and the rep

I've returned the favour
You are welcome. According to my spelling editor there is no such word as "favour" but I assume it's a compliment.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You are welcome. According to my spelling editor there is no such word as "favour" but I assume it's a compliment.
That's the British way, You spell it as " favor " in USA and us " favour "

Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
Growing up I only had a handful of friends. After junior high my family moved to another part of the state. I never really made close friends after that. I basically have my wife as my real only close friend. I have acquaintances and I will go out with my wife's friends and their husbands sometimes. I have no problem being by myself. I have never been one for small talk and I hate sports so I don't have that sort of camaraderie with other guys. I was good friends with my wife for 10 years before we started dating and I dated very casually prior to dating my wife being mostly superficial as far as I was concerned basically a string of casual sexual encounters. I don't know if all this makes me a textbook definition of an introvert or not.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:16 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
When you see someone with over 1,000 friends on FB, those are more acquaintances than friends. It's vital to understand the difference.

A friend is someone who cares about you, cares about your well-being, isn't spending their time judging you or cataloging every little thing they don't like about you. A friend is someone who wants to be in your life and makes time to do just that and wants the very best for you. It's unusual to have a lot of 'friends', it's more common to have a few friends and lots of acquaintances.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I find thT many people have a lot of friends whom they may socialize with, share common interests with but never get to know each other on more than a superficial level. For instance, my partner likes to plan regular social events with two other couples and so we do things as a group regularly. If I never saw either couple again I would't miss them. They are likeable enough but I don't really feel like I "know" them or have any emotional connection to them. For me, if I don't "click" with someone on a more emotional level, I wouldn't seek them out to spend time with. But I used to have a boss who was extremely extroverted, loves to be surrounded by people and although I don't think he gets to know most of them more than superficially, he always has an entourage. Me, I'd just as well be with my dog.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
My sister-in-law always comments about my brother that, " all of Tom's friends think that they are his best friend. None of them realize that if they stopped calling him, inviting him to games or to play golf, they would never see him again. It would never occur to him to call them and initiate getting together". I SO get that.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30
That's the British way, You spell it as " favor " in USA and us " favour "
Londoncowboy30 is right.

I learned that British's spelling for the word above is favour, and American is favor. Here's the link: https://www.spellzone.com/pages/british-american.cfm

And Canadian is more like British.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:42 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Why do some people have more friends than others?

I agree with many posters saying that it is because of the look, personality and choice too.

Someone may have good look and character, but prefers to have less friends and have a quiet life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships