U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:09 AM

133 posts, read 83,073 times

Advertisements

It can be irritating if you dwell on it----but only if you dwell on it.

I remember in graduate school I had classmates like that (except they were responsible).

There was one guy who was the golden boy of our program. Grew up with wealthy parents who paid for his schooling, dozens of friends and a fun loyal girlfriend he had for years. This guy was our class president, got near-straight A's (very difficult in a medical program), and would get black-out drunk every weekend and have nary a hangover the next day.

He would "study" for an hour or 2 and smoke the exams we all labored over in the library for days.

And to boot he was the nicest guy ever. Really unassuming, non-judgmental. Everyone liked him.

It would be so easy to hate a guy who has never had a difficult time with anything in life. But that will eat you up. If you focus on other's cards you can easily be bitter and ungrateful with your own life. That's why I have no social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:57 PM

174 posts, read 75,988 times
me - 23. parents paid for college education at flagship university. Make between 70-80k/year. no children, never married.

what am I then?

Old 05-30-2017, 12:59 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have many, many cousins and with the exception of those I was close to growing up, I'm not clear on the ages of the others.

What you find odd is often someone else's normal. Chill.
I only think it's odd because the op made it into a generational issue, but doesn't seem to know what generation any if them fall into. If he hadn't made a point of mentioning their specific ages and generation, it wouldn't matter. I don't know my cousin's exact ages, but I could estimate within 2 years.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:19 AM

212 posts, read 96,722 times
I don't think you are considered a millennial today if you are 35 or older.

But in any case it sounds like their parents have no issues paying for their things. Yes IMO they shouldn't because you aren't teaching your children to earn things, but it sounds like they want to do this for them. I'm an older millennial who grew up in a middle class home. Once I was 18, it was honestly like my parents just stopped altogether giving me $. My parents also told me if I were to ever move back in with them, I would have to pay them rent. I understood that. When I told some friends of mine this before (other millennials) , they were all shocked saying that their parents would never do that. That may just be how I was raised at home and I'm the weird one. Every time for instance that I have been in between jobs, my parents were clear again that if I moved home I would either have to go back to school or pay them rent.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:46 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,591,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well said.

OP it really does seem that you made this thread because you want to dump on these "cousins" and want other people to dump on them as well.

There have been some posters who come here making stories about people in their lives who are doing worse than they are. And the poster airs out their dirty laundry so that the 'losers' can get judged in order to prop themselves up. It is sort of like people who watch those trashy talk shows and reality shows in order to gawk at the dysfunction in order to feel better about their own lives.

You say that you made this thread because you wanted to know if anyone can relate but it's extremely common for families to have hard-working overachievers and coddled underachievers.

And I think you know it's common, It looks like many of the posters here have deduced that you made this thread to rail on these guys and you want others to join in.
Thank you.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have many, many cousins and with the exception of those I was close to growing up, I'm not clear on the ages of the others.

What you find odd is often someone else's normal. Chill.
The OP wasn't talking about many, many cousins. He mentioned 5 cousins.

He has all these details about people that don't live by him, he doesn't see, and doesn't know their ages. But seems to know their daily routines?

How many threads have you done on getting into altercations with people in stores and parking lots? Chill.

[quote=Kibbiekat;48331714]I only think it's odd because the op made it into a generational issue, but doesn't seem to know what generation any if them fall into. If he hadn't made a point of mentioning their specific ages and generation, it wouldn't matter. I don't know my cousin's exact ages, but I could estimate within 2 years.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I said earlier I don't know all their birthdays, but sure know who is older and younger and by how much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships