Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I told my friend most service workers work at no more that 2.15 and hour, and my friend told the waitress point blank "well, that's not my problem that your are so stupid enough to work for a job that pays minimum wage. So, good-bye"
Have you checked your state recently? In many states, servers are no longer making $2.13 an hour which is the federal minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,800,275 times
Anyone tip Lyft or Uber drivers?

Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,488,929 times
I wouldn't be fiends with her but not because she doesn't tip. Because of what she said to the waitress.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Anyone tip Lyft or Uber drivers?
You're supposed to. Cabs used to expect the 15-20%. I know someone who drives for Uber who would be happy with $1. More the principle than anything. To say hey, thank you.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 PM

My Aunt tips 10% out of ignorance and it's embarrassing but she's not the sort of person one can educate and I just deal with it. It's between her and the server. We take turns paying. It would be weird to ask for a separate check. If she left nothing I'd carry cash and leave it when she wasn't looking. Like oh I left something at the table! BRB.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:46 PM

775 posts, read 773,856 times
I was a server at a nice restaurant years ago, in a small town. There would be several of us starting the dinner shift and we worked on rotation. The owner had an affair with one of the waitresses and she was pregnant. He was married. Total drama. She would always get known good tippers who were seated out of rotation if it was not her turn so she would not spill the beans. He would say they asked for her. BS. The rest of us were cut and left early if it was slow, but she was always the last one to stay and earn. There are reasons why some servers do well and others don't, which is irrespective of quality of service. I had college bills to pay so moved on, but not without a letter of resignation calling him out on favoritism.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:52 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
While I mostly agree, I have to say that the cost of having staff is already built into the price of the food.

We paid $80 last night for 3 burgers, with fries, 3 side salads, one crab cake with broccoli, all with water. No way did it cost $80 for the actual food made in mass quantity.
So if the beef for three burgers cost the owner $6 and the buns cost a dollar, the fries cost $2, lettuce tomato and onion another dollar, the salads $2 and dressing a dollar. a crab cake $3 and broccoli 2$ should they have only charged $18?

Do you think they pay no rent, no electric, no gas, no water bills? Do you think there might be an expense in furnishing and maintaining a kitchen? Do you think the kitchen staff works for free? Did you have plates to eat from and cutlery to use? Were those glasses of water free to put on your table? How many napkins and straws did you use? Salt? Pepper? Ketchup?

Did the owner not need to pay the server? Did he not have to pay Social Security and insurance for the workers? Is the building and business insured? Do you think he pays taxes to the Feds, the State and local government? Is the owner entitled to bring some money home to his own family? Does he contribute to the Little League, Girl Scouts, area schools and the local parade committee?

Think about this - if he goes to a no tipping policy menu prices will rise by 20% and you'll then be required to pay sales tax on that additional cost also. If you can't figure on about a 20% tip, just eat at home.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:57 PM

983 posts, read 735,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
The husband sounds awful.

I think it's actually pretty rare for servers to spit in food. Most restaurant kitchens are FILLED with cameras, for one thing, since the owners/managers want to make sure that people aren't goofing off or stealing food. In my years waiting tables, I never saw or heard of anyone spitting in anyone's food. I did have a co-worker threaten to take his customer's bread into the walk-in cooler (no camera in there) and rub it on his pubes because she was "that bad," but he was just venting...he didn't actually do it.
I dunno. I knew a woman who, when she caught some flack from a woman for something rather petty, requiring to take her pancakes back dug a whole in the middle of the pancakes, spit in it and covered it with whipcream. Wasn't friends with her really but was shocked.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I don't tip often because, they can work a higher paying job if they want more money like any other professional

I tip the same $1-2 no matter the cost of the food, because they aren't the ones cooking it. It takes the same skills to pour a premade drink/bring cooked food/clean a table

I may tip more if they do things beyond what is expected of their job description. Being a "good" waitress, means there is a "good" chance she keeps her job. That doesn't mean she gets more in tips.

Why do americans insist on using tips to bribe people into doing their job? I need to tip if I want good service? How about I complain to owner so he hires people willing to work?
People who don't tip have dozens of rationalizations but the reason they don't tip is because they are miserly cheapskates. Americans insist on tipping because that is a long term custom in the United States and experiments in non-tipping establishments have almost always been reversed because that's the way people want it. If you can't abide with local customs, stay home.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Question for those of you following this thread:

How much do you tip on a bottle of wine that you purchase to accompany the meal?
About eight dollars on a forty dollar bottle of wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships