U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 04:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 845,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you choose to patronize places that simply reheat factory made meatballs that you order via computer, that's amazing in a lot of ways. Why would anyone do that? Simply to rationalize leaving only a 15% tip?
People can patronize wherever they want. There's nothing amazing about it.
Nobody has to rationalize anything to anyone with regards to tipping whether it's X% or zero% .

Last edited by applej3; 06-08-2017 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 06:19 AM

34,915 posts, read 31,952,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I remember being at a bar in my 20's and buying a $6 beer. I put down a $20 and the bartender never gave me change. I asked where my change was and they got offended. Last drink I ordered and never went back to that bar.

I really don't care how short your skirt is...I'm not giving you a $14 tip each time I order a $6 beer.
County fair 2 beers (small coors lites) 25$ and they still had a line for tip AND a tip jar.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 AM

34,915 posts, read 31,952,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So are you OK with knowingly taking away part of someone's paycheck?

Yes, admittedly it is a flawed system and many cheap states have run with it, still paying servers only $2.13 an hour. I worked as a server in UT and TX and they still adhere to that absurd pay level. Some pay nothing at all and the servers work under the table. Or expect the server to do hours of janitor work at $2.13 an hour. Not the case in CA that paid a full $7.50 and had paid janitors!

With the prevalence of the table-top ordering and the advent of "food-runners", the waters are further muddied. I can see the customer being confused as to who is doing what work. I was opposed to the food-runner concept for that reason. The thing is, those "runners" were paid full-wage, as was the hostess who occasionally helped out with the tables. As the "official" server, we got the $2.13 while they got $10 or $12 where I worked. But the customer does not know this. Plus, tips were split with the other help, on top of their full-pay.

The system could definitely be changed, and pay servers like they do at fast-food. The guest/server dynamic would shift dramatically and it's not hard to imagine how. But if fast-food places can afford to pay that, I guess full-service places could. And you'd see the same caliber employee at both....

I don't know the answer. But with the system the way it is, the moral person will tip fairly.
Does the moral person claim all their tips at tax time?

Old 06-08-2017, 06:29 AM

610 posts, read 300,007 times
I agree about women being stingy tippers. I am not in that category. I tip 20% if not a little over. I tend to round up to the next $ on the tip chart printed on the tickets.

I tip...I am NOT responsible for the cheapskate behavior of my dining mates. If leaving a cash tip..I personally hand it to the waitstaff. I don't want my tip to reflect the inaction of others at my table.

Mae

Old 06-08-2017, 06:45 AM

7,351 posts, read 4,182,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In many states and areas, prices the last few years have increased dramatically because the minimum wage has also dramatically increased. In my state, there's 3 rates of pay for servers. Each rate is for a different part of the state. No one here is making $2.13 an hour plus tips. The minimum wage for servers skyrocketed here and will continue to increase.

Restaurants will be pricing themselves out of business. Many are already struggling because of the wage increases. There's only so much people will pay for spaghetti and meatballs and restaurants here are feeling that. They've gotten rid of the salad and bread. So for $14.99 you get one frozen Sysco meatball and some spaghetti and sauce. The whole meal cost them less than $3 a serving. For 15 bucks, I can make a huge crockpot of sauce and loaded with meatballs and sausage so why eat out? That crockpot os sauce will last us 4 dinners plus several lunches! I'm already seeing many restaurants not full like they were just a few years ago. On a Friday night, when there's no wait and the place is half empty, that tells you something.
This is really based on area. Where I live, every restaurant has a waiting list, every night of the week. Even the Chick fil a drive thru was 20 cars deep last night when I drove by.

I won't pay $15.00 for regular spaghetti. But I will pay $15 for a meal that is exceptionally better than my basic cooking at home. I paid $10 for a Italian cold cut sandwich from a local deli a few weeks ago, but it was amazing. One of the most memorable meals I have had in 6 months.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 AM

7,351 posts, read 4,182,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
We had out of town friends visit, so we went to dinner at Alize. It's an excellent fine dining restaurant with a menu that changes a fair bit based on season and based on what's fresh. Alize A La Carte Menu

I had the grilled octopus appetizer ($19), Lamb entrée ($64) and Grand Marnier Soufflé ($15).

My wife had the foie gras appetizer ($32), Duck entrée ($52) with no dessert -- but she had about half of mine "just to taste."

There were 4 in our party, and we shared 2 bottles of wine for about $150. We declined after dinner drinks.

Our share including tax but without tip was about $260. Tip was $50.
I would have struggled to hit the $40 per person minimum at that restaurant. French Onion soup would be about the only thing, and I do not even really like it. Or the chef would have been doing some serious menu customizing to fit my tastes and allergies.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:17 AM

2,784 posts, read 3,941,242 times
Because we do not order wine or beer and I have tried to cut out caffeine, we order water. I have always tipped a little more because of that as we are not charged for the ice water that sometimes comes with lemon. It is at least 20 % or more. If I do feel ignored , that goes down to 15% .

Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 AM

426 posts, read 352,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
THAT is exactly why restaurants are so very willing to bring separate checks. Because women (and I'm one, although I don't have this mental deficiency) add about 15% on to the cost of their entree and think they've paid their fare share.

Hello. What about your tea or coffee. What about the avocado you had added to your entree at $2. What about the tax.

If you get a group of those kind of stingy brain dead women together and you offer to sort the bill, you're going to get stuck with paying a LOT unless you read them all the riot act and say excuse me? You had tea, and your tax was _______, so I need $4 more dollars.

Disheartening.
To be fair, I've seen guy friends also forget about the tax too. But yes, it is frustrating to dine out with people who don't calculate things correctly and tip enough.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:28 AM

3,331 posts, read 1,492,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Does the moral person claim all their tips at tax time?

Our tips came on our paycheck so mine were claimed. Or I wouldn't be retired on SS now!
This is something younger servers don't think about...

But this is really two different issues. Whether or not you or anyone else is paying ALL taxes due.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 AM

3,331 posts, read 1,492,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Precisely the point I made earlier. Let restaurant owners pay their employees an agreeable wage and price their offerings accordingly, just like any other business does. In a shoe store/electronics store/sporting goods store, etc., a salesman might spend 30 minutes helping me, to the exclusion of any other customer, and I wouldn't even think about offering him a tip. Nor would he ever expect me to do so. It's understood that his wages are built into the price of the products. Why should restaurants be any different? The same rules should be applied to them. Let's be done with this entire "tipping" nonsense.

Valid points. But since this is not the system currently, one has to deal with the reality here and now.
Until the system changes, let's not blame the server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships