U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 06:46 AM

3,195 posts, read 1,805,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
The hourly wages of waiters/servers varies. Many make minimum and above. I know of a few restaurants that have signs at tables: "We pay our staff well. Gratuities are neither expected nor accepted". As far as those who are underpaid, surely owners should give them a raise.

As I've said, tipping is VOLUNTARY, and the % is a matter of choice. If people want to supplement the paychecks of workers they feel are underpaid in various industries, that's also voluntary. Go ahead, no one is stopping you. Instead of expressing displeasure on an internet forum, get off your duffs and toss money at janitors, cashiers, day care workers, mail room clerks, fast food workers, etc. etc. Spread the wealth.
Talk about ridiculous.

So you are fine with a restaurant dictating to the customer whether or not they are ALLOWED to show monetary appreciation to someone providing them personal service? That they are literally placing a cap on the value of their employee's services that is never to be breached under any circumstances?

This is somehow more acceptable to you than actually tipping according to the value that each individual diner receives? Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Do you think this waiter would prefer to just be paid $15/hour?

How about the server here -- do you think she would prefer to just be paid $15/hour?

How about here?
Lol, those receipts are awesome, but they represent entire banquets with dozens or more of waitstaff, bartenders, bussers, and other help, each receiving part of those billed tips.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We went to a casual dining restaurant last night. Two adults, two kids. Total bill was $50. I gave a cash tip of $12. We were there less than 45 minutes. She was also waiting on 4 other tables. The server was wonderful.

So lets assume for that hour, she made the $2.00 hour wage, my tip of $12 and at least $5 at each of the other 4 tables...$34.00 per that hour.

I would say the young woman makes twice as much as I do working in a professional position, as I have to be at work 2 hours to make $30.00.
Yes, but she did not ONLY work that hour. Before and after the 'dinner rush', servers are required to do things like roll silverware, reset tables, and clean for that same $2 per hour. That is part of what you are tipping to provide.

In addition, many wait staff have to split tips with other staff members, so that money didn't necessarily all go to her, nor did she necessarily recieve a tip from all of those tables.

And not to be a jerk, but plenty on C-D would not consider a $15 per jour job to be 'professional' even if you were a brain surgeon.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Hoo boy! Alcohol does "fun" things sometimes, doesn't it? You sound like a real stand-up kind of person. I'm sure you deserved that bourbon shot and the server was probably very happy to give it to you.
I accidentally forgot to sign the receipt when paying with a debit card... AND I forgot to leave a tip once upon a time at my favorite Indian restaurant. I literally woke up in the middle of the night and gasped! I emailed the restaurant and explained that I was just a colossal bonehead and I would stop in and correct my mistake. The owner and I were so busy chatting at the checkout that I just left like, "Okay, byeeee!" I truly felt like the biggest doofus in the world. But all's well that ends well... went in and signed the receipt and pretty much said, "Here, just take all my money! I'm sorry I stiffed you!"
I can see you worrying about the tip, but you not signing the receipt is nothing, that is only in case you fight the charges. Those signed receipts don't actually go anywhere to be processed, that is all done electronically. They are just kept by the merchant for a period of time then destroyed.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had one of the annoying ones just once. We started counting. From start to end, she was at our table 12 times.
What you call 'annoying' many others consider 'attentive', and expected.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 AM

3,569 posts, read 848,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Talk about ridiculous.

So you are fine with a restaurant dictating to the customer whether or not they are ALLOWED to show monetary appreciation to someone providing them personal service? That they are literally placing a cap on the value of their employee's services that is never to be breached under any circumstances?

This is somehow more acceptable to you than actually tipping according to the value that each individual diner receives? Sad.

You've tried to completely rewrite my post. Fine, obviously you need to do that to try to make some point and sidestep the issue.

As I've already said, if you want to toss money at underpaid workers go ahead. No one is stopping you. But I'm betting neither you nor anyone else in this thread has or ever will do that.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 AM

14,599 posts, read 8,417,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wouldn't be friends with someone who went to a sit down restaurant and got adequate service and didn't tip.

I go out to lunch or brunch often with friends, and we usually get separate checks. I'm surprised by how many will leave such a small tip - if their total bill is $10, they leave a dollar, or a dollar fifty even though they asked for substitutions and dressing on the side or asked for extra lemons. For their water, which came at no charge.

In my opinion, tipping by amount of the meal is SO unfair anyway. If you pay $60 for a meal that's served well, vs. $10 for a meal that's served well, it seems sad to leave the wait staff with the cheap meal a lesser tip.

But then, all my kids had been waiters in high school. So I often leave 100% tip on a lunch ticket.
Interesting. You would base a friendship on something as trivial as how much they tip What if you both disagree on the quality of service? What if you originally planned on going out for fast food and your friend was short on cash? Or what if your former friend had atrocious math skills like I do? I've tipped a large percentage before, but I would never leave a 100% tip. I can't believe restaurants can still legally pay their employees $2.13/hour anyway. What other industry expects the customer to overtly pay the employees their salary, and it's insulting if we don't?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:36 AM

22,488 posts, read 24,050,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What if you both disagree on the quality of service?
That might be a factor, but I can't believe service at the same table would be so wildly different as to warrant exponentially different tips.

Quote:
What if you originally planned on going out for fast food and your friend was short on cash?
In that case I'd pick up the check for both of us.

Quote:
Or what if your former friend had atrocious math skills like I do?
If you have a smartphone, then there's a calculator in your pocket or purse. And many restaurants have tip amounts printed on the receipt.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:41 AM

3,569 posts, read 848,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Interesting. You would base a friendship on something as trivial as how much they tip What if you both disagree on the quality of service? What if you originally planned on going out for fast food and your friend was short on cash? Or what if your former friend had atrocious math skills like I do? I've tipped a large percentage before, but I would never leave a 100% tip. I can't believe restaurants can still legally pay their employees $2.13/hour anyway. What other industry expects the customer to overtly pay the employees their salary, and it's insulting if we don't?
Well stated.

A 100% tip. What a joke.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:57 AM

5,765 posts, read 3,233,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I can see you worrying about the tip, but you not signing the receipt is nothing, that is only in case you fight the charges. Those signed receipts don't actually go anywhere to be processed, that is all done electronically. They are just kept by the merchant for a period of time then destroyed.
It all kind of melded into one big, "Oops, I screwed up."
My husband paid with a debit card a few weeks ago at a local restaurant. The woman running the card was having a hard time getting it to go through, so he offered a different card. She had problems with that one, as well, so I handed her my debit card. Turns out, all transactions went through and we were charged for the same meal three times. (The woman was elderly and I think she just didn't realize that it was, in fact, working. No malice intended on her part.) You are right... the signature must not mean anything because I know we didn't sign for all three transactions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships