U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM

1,256 posts, read 533,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I totally don't understand why anyone would ever hang out with someone who called their friend - or anyone - the n word! I can't think of a single free drink on earth worth that.
That's true. But I also can't understand why anyone would ever hang out with 6 classless jerks who refuse to tip. I'd rather dine alone than with people who make me look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM

34,544 posts, read 33,520,641 times
I always pay cash at restaurants and tip 20%. I have the exact amount not including change. I used to frequently go out with groups of people for lunch or dinner. What bothers me is when they put everything on one check and there is one person at the table who takes everyone's money and puts it on their credit card. I know that person does not tip 20%. In fact, I suspect that person "makes out" on the bill and does it deliberately. Thankfully, I'm retired now and don't face this situation that often anymore.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 PM

37,935 posts, read 2,858,995 times
I would not loose a friend over non tipping, but I would not be dining out with them, either.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,527,524 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 PM

2,474 posts, read 889,621 times
I used to be one of those women that didn't tip ~ until I waited tables for awhile and my attitude changed. After that I over-tipped for a long time. Now, I typically leave 20%.

And, yes, I've had friends that either don't tip or habitually under-tip. I have made them a little uneasy when they saw my tipping and I think it's because it made them feel awkward. I do get riled when I'm told to not tip so much.

And for post #542, a few of my friends like to do the credit card thing for lunches, too, I leave my tip separated and, so far, no one's grabbed it. I think they do it for the point perks.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 AM

5,576 posts, read 4,728,085 times
My hubby has a friend who tips so little that it's embarrassing. Hubby's had to pretend that he lost something so he could go back and increase the tip. I was dining out on the road with this friend's wife and she did it too! I just added some extra to my tip, but really, they leave no more than 10%! I understand if you're short of cash, I'll lend someone a few bucks for their meal and tip, but stiffing the waitress is just rude.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:29 PM

16,018 posts, read 19,512,122 times
I almost always over tip. But, the fact that the waitress came out and confronted your friend for not tipping is weird imo.

If the fact that your friend didn't tip bothers you so much that you are questioning your friendship, you aren't very good friends to begin with.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:13 PM

2,474 posts, read 889,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I almost always over tip. But, the fact that the waitress came out and confronted your friend for not tipping is weird imo.
I had a waiter friend that did this and he got fired.

As for the friendship, I would have told that person that I'd never dine out with her again. Ever.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM

1,409 posts, read 799,003 times
Hard to believe the topic of being upset over how much a friend tips would generate pages of replies--I used to waitress and yes waitstaff hope for and expect a tip of some sort for good service but it shouldn't be the cause of the year either-- simple, if your friend doesn't tip enough either ignore it and let that be on him and just tip your part- the waitstaff understands not everyone can tip 20%. If your friend is downright rude to waitstaff just don't eat out with them.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 PM

9,076 posts, read 3,497,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I had a waiter friend that did this and he got fired.
Right. The manager is supposed to be the one to have a confrontation with customers who don't tip. Not the server.

I had a friend who was confronted when she only left a 10% tip at a nice restaurant. She was confused and didn't feel she'd done anything wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships