Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 01:16 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

I had a friend who never tipped. She seemed proud of it. It was embarrassing to dine with her. I felt I had to overtip to make up for her part. She turned out to be a terrible person. Just one of those people who will call you when they need your help but disappear when you need theirs. Scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We went to a casual dining restaurant last night. Two adults, two kids. Total bill was $50. I gave a cash tip of $12. We were there less than 45 minutes. She was also waiting on 4 other tables. The server was wonderful.

So lets assume for that hour, she made the $2.00 hour wage, my tip of $12 and at least $5 at each of the other 4 tables...$34.00 per that hour.

I would say the young woman makes twice as much as I do working in a professional position, as I have to be at work 2 hours to make $30.00.
You tipped generously and I think that's nice

However, you can't assume that the server will consistently make $34/hour. During part of her shift, most likely there will be slow times. Also, you can't assume that every diner will tip properly.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yet if you wanted a refill on your iced tea you would be highly annoyed if the server was nowhere in sight.

Seriously, most servers only ask one time "how is everything?", they're not doing it every two minutes.
I had one of the annoying ones just once. We started counting. From start to end, she was at our table 12 times.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We went to a casual dining restaurant last night. Two adults, two kids. Total bill was $50. I gave a cash tip of $12. We were there less than 45 minutes. She was also waiting on 4 other tables. The server was wonderful.

So lets assume for that hour, she made the $2.00 hour wage, my tip of $12 and at least $5 at each of the other 4 tables...$34.00 per that hour.

I would say the young woman makes twice as much as I do working in a professional position, as I have to be at work 2 hours to make $30.00.
She's working in a professional position, too. Her profession is server.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Once again, where are these places where 15% is still the norm?

There is a big difference between "tak[ing] pity" and having empathy. I don't pity anyone who does honest work. However, I do have empathy for them. Doing any form of work that requires dealing with the public isn't always easy. Having done such work, I do have empathy for those who do those jobs and make sure to always treat them well. If they are having a rough day, doing something that makes them smile or laugh, in my book is always a good thing.
A good part of the country it's still 15%! Not everyone lives in a metro or an expensive area. In my state, restaurant prices have been increasing dramatically because our minimum wage is being jacked up. What cost $12.95 last year is now $14.95. People here aren't tipping more with the price increases. THere's no need to. Most restaurants don't provide much service anymore anyway. It's like pulling teeth to get a refill on your beverage!

I work the public every day. I chose to do this. No one should have pity or empathy for me. I enjoy what I do for a living. Sure there are butthead customers, but that's no different than when I worked in an office. I dealt with jerks on a daily basis. Some I worked with. Some called me. Not really any different.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That does not warrant 20%, IMO. That's half self-service. Haven't encountered a tablet "server" yet.
Many chains have the tablets you order and pay on. There's also a few local restaurants here that do that. It's annoying in the sense that you get even less attention from the server and yet you're still supposed to leave a full tip. I did a lot of the work! And god help you if you want a refill!

Old 06-09-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you choose to patronize places that simply reheat factory made meatballs that you order via computer, that's amazing in a lot of ways. Why would anyone do that? Simply to rationalize leaving only a 15% tip?
Hate to burst your bubble, but many restaurants - chains and local mom & pop places - heat up from food from Sysco. You don't always know it until you get them delivered to your table!

What's wrong with 15%? That's the standard where I live!

Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Do you think this waiter would prefer to just be paid $15/hour?

How about the server here -- do you think she would prefer to just be paid $15/hour?

How about here?
Those receipts look like they're for banquets. Banquet servers are entirely different. They don't get that full tip. There's been numerous lawsuits over them. Pretty crappy that folks are paying 18% and the servers don't get it....the owner pockets it! Most banquet servers aren't paid server minimum wage either.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Masa, in NYC, costs $595 per person (not including drinks and dessert). The servers refuse gratuities.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but many restaurants - chains and local mom & pop places - heat up from food from Sysco. You don't always know it until you get them delivered to your table!

What's wrong with 15%? That's the standard where I live!
I saw your claim the first time which is why I asked why you would go there in the first place? If you want personal service why would you go to a place that requires you to put in your own order? And 15% is cheap, certainly not the norm in full service restaurants, but you haven't said where you are that makes you believe it is the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships