Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:43 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
What goes through your mind is told by your face.
Deal with the inner and the outer will follow.
That's a crock. It's her physical feature.

So you're saying the pleasant-looking, politician who is making false promises while he grins in your face with twinkly eyes is showing his inner self?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I am constantly being told I intimidate people or that my eyes give people "dirty looks". I guess that's RBF although I never heard it called that before. I have made friends in the supermarket line or sometimes when I'm giving someone a "look" on purpose and someone else reacted as if it was directed at her. In that case, I usually recognize the look of "who me" and approach them with, "I am sorry, I wasn't giving that look to you. It's a problem, my friends say my face is too readable." or something along that. I have to be careful how I look at people and am aware that my face is judgmental.

You're right, it isn't but I find if I initiate conversation, people respond to my voice and what I say. I often go up to strangers with a compliment and that helps get people past "that look". But then again, it comes in handy when someone's children are misbehaving. I can usually get the children called back or running back to "not-paying attention parent" with my looks.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I put smiley sticky notes in some places like my truck and my monitor at work. It helps.

Botox also helped me on my forehead. I have not gotten any complaints anymore.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 AM

390 posts, read 379,847 times
I'm cracking up because the only time I really hear the term is in regards to my grandpup who has major RBF even though shes happy LOL
Attached Thumbnails
How to deal with BRF?-img_4990.jpg  

Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's got nothing to do with the topic of this thread. It's not about how she feels.

The problem is that her normal facial expression makes her look contemptuous of others even though that's NOT what she is feeling. People are reacting to the way she looks and prejudging her as a biatch.

Doesn't this make it their problem, though?

Why should people go through the expense of Botox just because people are too hasty to judge?

Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Doesn't this make it their problem, though?

Why should people go through the expense of Botox just because people are too hasty to judge?
Of course it's the others' problem. People are making assumptions based on superficialities. I personally wouldn't get Botox, but she's not likely to get anyone who makes such assumptions to change, either.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:07 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
It can get physical for women and men with RBF.

So there is a threat of danger for us.

It kind of helps i suppose to look down and not into other's eyes,but then i may get the crazy or disrespectful label.

Sigh

Old 06-06-2017, 04:51 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Good article: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/f...ng-b-face.html

Btw, I have been told that I look angry when I am only thinking, and in all of my childhood "unposed" photos, I either look sad or sullen/surly. However, this has never presented any social problems when I am around people I care about because I am usually happy (or at least content) and interested -- but my face just says otherwise. In fact, I have always looked more like many of the women in 17th century portraits than most modern women, although not so plump. My high school senior class photo definitely showed the (to quote the article below) "signature I’m-sleepy-but-sexy-and-also-judging-you facial expression" -- definitely not attractive in today's world!

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...nd-looked-like

Standards of beauty certainly have changed over time!

Last edited by katharsis; 06-06-2017 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It is called a mean face where you look angry,but that is not your intention.

I need pointers on how to deal with it.

It is starting to get a little out of hand,but it seems people who do not have this problem do not understand.

On one hand,i cannot smile just for smiling's sake,yet otherwise people will get the wrong impression of me.

I am content but my face is saying something different,and i suspect it has costs me jobs in the past.

Trust,it is painful to live like this.
This stranger (guy) called me the B word as i was walking past him.
I didn't read the other posts, but if you've read any of mine, you probably know I could probably write a book on being misread. My advice is to just be yourself. Do people really put THAT much emphasis on a first impression? You're frowning, so what?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I didn't read the other posts, but if you've read any of mine, you probably know I could probably write a book on being misread. My advice is to just be yourself. Do people really put THAT much emphasis on a first impression? You're frowning, so what?
Yes,people put that much emphasis on first impressions.

I notice a large amount of people believe anyone who
is not smiling or happy looking then she is miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships