U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 AM
 
16,724 posts, read 14,554,808 times
Reputation: 41100

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
He's an older wheelchair bound man who is basically bedridden because of his health issues; he pretty much lives on the sofa in the living room, where he also sleeps.
...
Am I in the wrong here?
I think you pretty much get what you pay for, and in this situation, you had to know going in that you would be bound to do stuff for this man.

Move out if you can't deal with it; I don't see that issue ever going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2017, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Boston
3,732 posts, read 1,444,222 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
lol no, I mean someone in my income bracket. I'm not making terrible money (like 40k per year), but I also can't afford my apartment. I pretty much am doomed to live with roommates for the time being, and it's been hard to find anyone willing to put me on the lease when there are other candidates who make more money than I do (and thus have an easier time paying rent).

A motel room would be a lot more than $600 per month, me thinks.
$40K a yr is approx 800 wk.
One weeks pay for rent is normal.

I've never made $40K a yr in my life but I don't have any trouble living on less than you, I'm in Boston and its NOT cheap.

Something doesn't make any sense here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 AM
 
427 posts, read 376,108 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
$40K a yr is approx 800 wk.
One weeks pay for rent is normal.

I've never made $40K a yr in my life but I don't have any trouble living on less than you, I'm in Boston and its NOT cheap.

Something doesn't make any sense here.
40k gross ... I have no idea how much I really make, and I don't want to know. I only got this job a few months ago... before I was making 11 bucks an hour. Since I got the job I've been using the extra money towards paying off debts as well as fixing my car, which I couldn't afford before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 10:29 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
77,655 posts, read 69,572,290 times
Reputation: 75307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
$40K a yr is approx 800 wk.
One weeks pay for rent is normal.

I've never made $40K a yr in my life but I don't have any trouble living on less than you, I'm in Boston and its NOT cheap.

Something doesn't make any sense here.
We regularly get inquiries on the Bay Area forum from people who are offered a transfer to a San Fran. business, typically retail lower management, or something, stating they'll have a salary of around $50K, give or take. Those people are told to turn down the transfer, unless they're ok renting a room in a shared place. Studios in slightly less expensive towns in the area start at $1500, and those are so hard to get, due to very stiff competition, that $1800 is more realistic. For a studio, plus an expensive monthly transit pass, to get them to their job in SF. $800 for rent won't get you anything, not even a room, with very rare exception.

If the OP does well in his first year, he'll get a salary increase, and he'll be on his way to liberation from his shack. I'd keep looking for a place with housemates, in the meantime, though, if I were him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,342 posts, read 23,922,329 times
Reputation: 48259
I have a friend who lives in the Mission who's looking for a roommate in a shared house for $1500/month. That's amazing to me, but the thought of living in a garden shed with no integral electricity or plumbing is even more shocking. It's like the tenements that Jacob Riis was photographing 100+ years ago. That goes way beyond having to share a bathroom with strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 10:59 AM
 
427 posts, read 376,108 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We regularly get inquiries on the Bay Area forum from people who are offered a transfer to a San Fran. business, typically retail lower management, or something, stating they'll have a salary of around $50K, give or take. Those people are told to turn down the transfer, unless they're ok renting a room in a shared place. Studios in slightly less expensive towns in the area start at $1500, and those are so hard to get, due to very stiff competition, that $1800 is more realistic. For a studio, plus an expensive monthly transit pass, to get them to their job in SF. $800 for rent won't get you anything, not even a room, with very rare exception.

If the OP does well in his first year, he'll get a salary increase, and he'll be on his way to liberation from his shack. I'd keep looking for a place with housemates, in the meantime, though, if I were him.
I live in LA, not the Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 11:12 AM
 
16,982 posts, read 20,540,551 times
Reputation: 33920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I could send pictures, but whatever. This is what the set up is: there are actually two homes on the property. There is an actual house which sits on the street. The "house" he lives in is basically a converted garage. He rents out the actual house out front, and both bedrooms in his "house." He lives in the living room area. I live in sort of a detached shack thet sits in earshot of the living room.
So it sounds like he lives in the garage which is attached to the house and has two renters in the house and you in the shack.

Have you talked to the other two renters? Does he ask them to get him things? Sounds like they would hear him more than you would?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP is in the highest-rent market in the US; he's in the Bay Area. He can't afford even a studio on $40K/year, even in the relatively cheaper communities. People like him, just starting out, are living in their cars, while going to work for the tech companies.
Yes he is, which in a case like this you take your jobs skills and go elsewhere.

That's the problem today with many younger people, they want to live in NYC(and it has to be Manhattan, Queens isn't good enough) or the Bay Area. It's not realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 11:19 AM
 
427 posts, read 376,108 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So it sounds like he lives in the garage which is attached to the house and has two renters in the house and you in the shack.

Have you talked to the other two renters? Does he ask them to get him things? Sounds like they would hear him more than you would?



Yes he is, which in a case like this you take your jobs skills and go elsewhere.

That's the problem today with many younger people, they want to live in NYC(and it has to be Manhattan, Queens isn't good enough) or the Bay Area. It's not realistic.
The garage is not attached to the house. It sits behind the house on a gated driveway.

Anyway, there are three other renters. One guy lives in the other shack/shed and is almost never home. I think he mostly lives with his girlfriend and now rents the space for storage or something. Another guy, whom I have never spoke to before, lives in the garage-house and rents two rooms and is also seemingly doing a good job of ignoring the guttersnipe landlord. The other tenant is his brother. The deadbeat brother is equally a jerk and is sort of the "substitute" landlord when the other is in the hospital. It's sort of a weird white trash community hidden in prime West LA. I think the story being my landlord inherited the house from his father decades ago when he died. He converted the detached garage into makeshift living quarters for himself to rent out the actual house.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 06-13-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
77,655 posts, read 69,572,290 times
Reputation: 75307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I live in LA, not the Bay area.
Oh. You mentioned the South Bay on the first page, so I thought you were in the Bay Area. LA isn't so bad, COL-wise, but can still be challenging, from what I hear. I hope you have A/C in that shack; summer is warming up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 11:38 AM
 
427 posts, read 376,108 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh. You mentioned the South Bay on the first page, so I thought you were in the Bay Area. LA isn't so bad, COL-wise, but can still be challenging, from what I hear.
South Bay refers to cities like Hawthorne, El Segundo, Redondo Beach, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top