Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 AM

1,166 posts, read 875,960 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this attitude of "Suck it up and just deal with it, quit complaining" or "It's not like you can change it anyway, so why complain about it" or any other sentiment equal to that. Why is there is pervasive idea that you are powerless to change anything so it does no good to bring up a valid complaint about it? It's people who think like that that cause most of the world's problems, or at least allow them to continue unimpeded. They say to themselves "Well, I can't do anything about it, so I'm not even going to mention it", so nothing gets done, and everything stays the same because everyone is too timid to actually stand up and do something about it.

Also, where is this line drawn between "things we can't change" and "things we can change"? They tell people "quit blaming your problems on others and take responsibility" but people are unwilling to take responsibility and stand up against BS because "Complaining doesn't do any good, anyways". I hear them say all the time "Complaining about things you can't change does no good" but I think they see it as "Nothing's ever going to change, so don't complain about ANYTHING"

Also, there's this idea that people need to "man up" and "not take crap from anyone and stand up for themselves", but if they find themselves in a situation worth complaining about, they're supposed to "just suck it up and stop whining". Seems like two contradictory opinions there? I've heard it said before "We all deal with things we don't like, suck it up and keep it to yourself" Maybe if we actually said something about it, something might actually change? I know, I have some crazy ideas.

Could someone please explain the thought process behind this idea?

Last edited by jimmy12345678; 06-13-2017 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 07:55 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Sometimes, people need to vent...blow off some steam. Some people complain all the time, about almost everything. It's an attitude thing.

It CAN get tiresome, but I think most people know there's room for SOME complaining, and that it's natural. Perhaps a better option would be to come up with useful alternatives...but it's not always a viable option.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
There's a difference between "complaining" and actually doing something about it. Talking about how bad something is doesn't solve anything. Taking steps to DO something about it -- THAT'S how things get done.

Don't complain. DO SOMETHING.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
There's a difference between "complaining" and actually doing something about it. Talking about how bad something is doesn't solve anything. Taking steps to DO something about it -- THAT'S how things get done.

Don't complain. DO SOMETHING.
The first step to getting rid of a problem is admitting their is one. With the attitude of "You can't complain about anything" the problem is just swept under the rug and never addressed and never goes away.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I don't know if there are specifics you're talking about...but I think nearly everyone gets it, that sometimes people complain. Complaining isn't ALWAYS looking for solutions...it's just words. "MAN...it's HOT outside!" is complaining, but not needing or looking for a solution.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:13 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I've heard it said before "We all deal with things we don't like, suck it up and keep it to yourself" Maybe if we actually said something about it, something might actually change? I know, I have some crazy ideas.
On the other hand, I think that people who complain constantly are always just looking to be unhappy no matter what the situation.

We choose everyday whether we are going to be happy or not. Some people choose to whine.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I don't understand this attitude of "Suck it up and just deal with it, quit complaining" or "It's not like you can change it anyway, so why complain about it" or any other sentiment equal to that. Why is there is pervasive idea that you are powerless to change anything so it does no good to bring up a valid complaint about it? It's people who think like that that cause most of the world's problems, or at least allow them to continue unimpeded. They say to themselves "Well, I can't do anything about it, so I'm not even going to mention it", so nothing gets done, and everything stays the same because everyone is too timid to actually stand up and do something about it.

Also, where is this line drawn between "things we can't change" and "things we can change"? They tell people "quit blaming your problems on others and take responsibility" but people are unwilling to take responsibility and stand up against BS because "Complaining doesn't do any good, anyways". I hear them say all the time "Complaining about things you can't change does no good" but I think they see it as "Nothing's ever going to change, so don't complain about ANYTHING"

Also, there's this idea that people need to "man up" and "not take crap from anyone and stand up for themselves", but if they find themselves in a situation worth complaining about, they're supposed to "just suck it up and stop whining". Seems like two contradictory opinions there? I've heard it said before "We all deal with things we don't like, suck it up and keep it to yourself" Maybe if we actually said something about it, something might actually change? I know, I have some crazy ideas.

Could someone please explain the thought process behind this idea?
You are complaining about things you cannot change.
You cannot change other people, you aren't God.
You CAN change yourself but then you'd have to first quit complaining.

Everything in the world is EXACTLY they way it should be.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You are complaining about things you cannot change.
You cannot change other people, you aren't God.
You CAN change yourself but then you'd have to first quit complaining.

Everything in the world is EXACTLY they way it should be.
What is that supposed to mean? That the world is perfect and has no reason to change? Are there no valid complaints? Where do you draw the line between what you can change and what you can't? And you're right, I can't change other people, but I can remove them from my life if they are that big of a problem to me.

How do problems get addressed if everyone is scared to speak up about them, for fear of being labelled a "whiner"?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
You did a lot of work-related complaining. How did that all work out? I lost contact with those threads.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
You did a lot of work-related complaining. How did that all work out? I lost contact with those threads.

I quit my job at the dealership back in March and have been working for myself ever since. This thread isn't about me or my problems, though, it's just a discussion on this idea that "Complaints are always bad and never change anything". I'd like to understand this defeatist attitude that tons of people seem to have, where they just lay down and take whatever's dished out to them instead of standing up for themselves because they have the idea that "I can't really change anything anyway". As I said, if everyone had that attitude, we'd still be living in caves hunting buffalo for food. Things don't change if nobody speaks up and fights against it, so why is complaining so villainized by most people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships