Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Our water heater has been dead since last Friday...it died right before the long holiday weekend. It was under warranty, so we've been scrambling to get the manufacturer to assist us.

We did get an authorized-to-do-warranty-repairs plumber to come out today. Seems like a nice guy, really knows his stuff. But here's the thing: He has close-cropped hair. I can see that he has a large mole on the crown of his head. It does not look symmetrical to me. The mole is in a place where it would be hard to see when looking in the mirror.

Should I ask him about it? The mole may be benign. But early detection is crucial for surviving melanoma.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 12:56 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I guess I would risk being a bit awkward to warn the guy. I had a basal cell carcinoma on the side of my nose, got it removed soon as I realized what it was, could have been a bigger problem if left to "fester".

I'd just point out what you see, note that it might be hard for him to see, tell him he might want to have it checked out.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:15 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I probably wouldn't say anything, but if I couldn't resist, I'd at least wait until he's finished the work he's doing, in case he's the type who would take it the wrong way.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:38 PM

23,256 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I think I would find some indirect way to bring it to his attention and then drop it. Maybe a polite but innocent question like "You've got a dark blob of something on the top of your head. Did something drip on you at your last job? Can I get you a paper towel?" Don't elaborate and don't broach the whole mole topic. He'll investigate later if he didn't know about it, and ignore the comment if he already knows its there. Keeps it in the considerate but impersonal realm of telling someone they have spinach in their teeth to save them embarrassment.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:48 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I can see that he has a large mole on the crown of his head. It does not look symmetrical to me. The mole is in a place where it would be hard to see when looking in the mirror.
What would you do?
I have skin cancer, and I would tell him.

It took a friend of mine to tell me that the spot on my chest was cancer, and that she would even make the appointment for me, before I decided she was serious. I've had four more since then.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
"This may be weird, but I just couldn't live with myself I didn't say something...there's a questionable looking mole on your head, and I didn't know if you've seen it. I'd rather be wrong & embarrassed than right & silent."

That's what I'd say.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:10 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Just say, "Hey. You can tell me it's not your business, but...." You might save a life, which is worth any awkwardness. My biz partner died of skin cancer. You don't mess around with that stuff.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,232 times
That is a tough one, maybe "I know this is gonna sound weird & I don't want to alarm you, but skin cancer runs in my family & I couldn't help but notice your mole. If you haven't had it checked out, you may want to". Put it on yourself as though you know you're overly concerned, to spare him any embarrassment.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't say anything b/c it's so awkward, but it's commendable that you want to.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:26 PM

431 posts, read 351,894 times
Just don't do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEExYuRelbg

Old 07-05-2017, 02:31 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times
Casually ask "I can't help but noticed there's a mole on your head, is that a birthmark?... and go from there.
He may or may not already know about it, since you're probably not the first person who saw it. Could be a condition he's already dealing with, find out before you kindly distress him further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships