U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,295,199 times

Advertisements

This doesn't sound even remotely close to "good friends" to me.

No effort to try to get at the heart of the matter or have a rational discussion about the issue. Instead, returned jabs, "What's with all the aggression lately?" (which sounds pretty aggressive to me), and drop her like an old sock.

I would say she's insecure about her weight gain and she's scared and she's throwing up defenses against the pain she expects to come, 'cause face it.... when a woman gains weight, it comes. Maybe she is having other medical issues. Maybe she is under excessive stress from somewhere else (often results in comfort eating and weight gain).

Being nice doesn't mean taking bad treatment. But rude behavior doesn't have to be reflected either.

Maybe not and she's just changing, but usually, change is caused by something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 12:35 PM

78,021 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post
On occassion, yes. Are we all supposed to be focused on what our friends say 24/7?
It's not just the listening, it's her jabs at random things that don't make any sense.

For example, I saw a dog in my neighbor's backyard and commented how adorable his little pen was, but he seemed a bit big for it and maybe the owner should have constructed a bigger one, to which she snapped aggressively with a, "Well, one is better than nothing so get over it!"
This is not a happy camper. Also, consider that maybe she uses the phrase "so, get over it" often, because other people have finally started to tell her to "get over" her weight issues. Maybe people have lost patience with her, so she's throwing that out at you and who knows who else. In any case, it sounds like it's not possible to have a normal conversation with her about anything. She's going to lose a lot of friends, if she hasn't already.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM

172 posts, read 69,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is not a happy camper. Also, consider that maybe she uses the phrase "so, get over it" often, because other people have finally started to tell her to "get over" her weight issues. Maybe people have lost patience with her, so she's throwing that out at you and who knows who else. In any case, it sounds like it's not possible to have a normal conversation with her about anything. She's going to lose a lot of friends, if she hasn't already.
This whole scenario is weird. From totally nice to jabs but you have a point. Just that I have not heard our mutual friends say to her get over the weight, but maybe it's from other places.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:09 PM

1,526 posts, read 842,447 times
Either you lose contact, or throw more jabs back and take her as a training to better your skills

Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM

8,045 posts, read 5,849,876 times
Quote:
29 years old female friend keeps for some weeks throwing jabs and snippy comments out of nowhere at me.<>
Sounds like true love to me.
"Must. Resist. Emotions"

Old 06-20-2017, 01:51 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,601,942 times
Quote:
7 years.
OK, thanks. That would be considered a friend. But she isn't a good one.

Quote:
Because for the past 7 years of knowing her, weight has been a central theme. And for the past 2 months, all I hear is she's fat, she's gained weight, and constant insults at other women's bodies and what they wear.
When she does that you slowly look her up and down and than say "And you are?", that will nip it in the bud.

Last edited by seain dublin; 06-20-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 01:55 PM

3,154 posts, read 3,046,568 times
Not a friend. Walk away.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM

662 posts, read 827,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Can you please define "good friend". Many today mainly due to social media think someone they meant 6 months ago is a good friend, when they're really an acquaintance.

I have lost track of the threads on hear about good friends and it turns out it's someone they met in a Meetup group 3 months ago.
lol...

Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,968,925 times
A friend making jabs is no friend.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:04 PM

8,034 posts, read 5,236,219 times
Like another poster stated, it looks like she took offense when you noticed her weight gain. I would just avoid her and not really acknowledge her past the basic greetings. I would also make her envious with your bod since you are skinnier and in better shape. You shouldn't invest any time with negative people as you only get a negative investment back. #doesn'tmakesense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or