U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:17 PM

13,323 posts, read 21,888,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If a person voted for one of the following two 2016 presidential candidates - i.e. the Republican candidate or the Libertarian candidate - it vividly shows the state of one's psyche, level of knowledge, level of intellect, level of information held, level of with whom one identifies, and values.

So yes, it's important, and I wouldn't relish a friend of these values and level of information about society, history, politics, sociology, psychology, goals of society.

It's not a matter of being narrow-minded, it's a matter of values and knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
People of any political persuasion who think they "know it all" because their version of the facts is completely pure and error free because their preferred information sources told them so.
Yes, this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 AM

43,475 posts, read 52,497,423 times
Our city just got screwed into getting the incumbent mayor back bc an independent split the vote for the guys addressing the horrible crap going on.

If you stop and think just for a moment, there might be a reason your friend voted for someone that doesn't fit your narrow-minded definitions.

Breaking a friendship over political _candidate_ means you never really were friends in the first place.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 AM

36,997 posts, read 45,466,452 times
I have a friend who can be embarrassing in public. I would have ended the relationship if we had not moved to a different state. Now, I tolerate her bad qualities once a year, or so.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:30 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,390,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Breaking a friendship over political _candidate_ means you never really were friends in the first place.
Reasonable people can disagree on policies and politics. The deal breaker is when the people are not reasonable -- that is, they do not listen to reason.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM

11,712 posts, read 7,236,736 times
I'm not obligated to be friends with anybody, and no one is entitled to my friendship. So if I discover upon acquaintance that you not only voted for Trump but still support the guy... I am not calling you names or slinging any indictments against your character. I can however safely say that I don't want to be friends with you. I can still be polite, without having to become your pal.

"I'm not your buddy, guy!"

I'd go further to say, anyone who is super passionate about something that I am not and seems very determined to drag me into it, especially if they also don't want to hear about the things I am passionate about. Better if we have some strong interests in common, especially if one or both of us practically lives for some certain thing.

Anyone who "HATES" any particular kind of animal. Look, I prefer cats over dogs. Some dog breeds (and a few cat breeds too) I really am not very fond of. I don't HATE an animal. Except for wasps. Wasps are jerks.

If you give me a hard time about my eating habits. I have a healthy body. I am at a good weight and always have been and I look nice in that respect and my bloodwork checks out. My picky eating is none of anybody's business. If it upsets you, we don't need to be friends. (Some people seem offended by my picky eating and small "snacky" appetite.)

If you bring trouble or drama into my life, if you're a hard drug or alcohol addict, especially if you get hammered and act obnoxious, if you make me feel taken advantage of...I am going to create some boundaries for my own protection and you will find yourself on the other side.

Oh, and anyone who reminds me too much of my ex husband, especially if they are in the middle of a troubled marriage and the entire situation reminds me too much of my divorce. I am still trying to process the damage from all that stuff and put it behind me, and do not need in-your-face reminders.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:38 PM

1,818 posts, read 731,209 times
I get offended easily and I take every slight personally, so EVERYTHING is a deal breaker for me.

I hate people. I hate when my high school friends reunite and don't invite me to their dinner, and I find out via someone else's Facebook account (I don't have one). I hate when said high school friend and I had a great friendship via long e-mails, but her e-mails got shorter and shorter to the point where she stopped replying to me altogether. If she doesn't want to talk to me, why the hell does she still remember my birthday every year?

I hate being left out of things when another so-called "friend group" gets together and doesn't invite me, and I find out afterwards.

I am sick of being left out. People suck.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:04 PM

9,951 posts, read 6,116,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our city just got screwed into getting the incumbent mayor back bc an independent split the vote for the guys addressing the horrible crap going on.

If you stop and think just for a moment, there might be a reason your friend voted for someone that doesn't fit your narrow-minded definitions.

I'm not obligated to stay friends with anyone. If someone does something or vote for someone I dislike then our values are different and I say goodbye. No exceptions.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 PM

9,951 posts, read 6,116,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Once again you misread and misinterpreted the content of my post. This is the 2nd time in 2 or 3 days you've done this!

that's okay, carry on.
That wasn't directed towards you but ok.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 PM

564 posts, read 294,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I get offended easily and I take every slight personally, so EVERYTHING is a deal breaker for me.

I hate people. I hate when my high school friends reunite and don't invite me to their dinner, and I find out via someone else's Facebook account (I don't have one). I hate when said high school friend and I had a great friendship via long e-mails, but her e-mails got shorter and shorter to the point where she stopped replying to me altogether. If she doesn't want to talk to me, why the hell does she still remember my birthday every year?

I hate being left out of things when another so-called "friend group" gets together and doesn't invite me, and I find out afterwards.

I am sick of being left out. People suck.
Read your post. Would you like to associate with the writer?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,839,234 times
Some of the dealbreakers I have refer to someone I just blocked on Facebook. Lately, every time I have seen her post something, no matter what, I just want to reach through the screen and punch her in her face.

People who put down others instead of addressing the things that they don't like about themselves in a positive manner. Things like posting memes on Facebook with derogatory things about thin or attractive women instead of, I don't know, going for a walk or getting a more flattering hairstyle - something, anything more positive than being hateful towards others that have something that they do not.

People (and I am sorry, but I have seen this with mostly women) that will dump even their close friends for an SO and then expect said friends to be around when things with the SO are not going well. Nope.

People who refer to others with differing opinions, political or otherwise, in a derogatory manner. The woman - I can hardly bring myself to call her one because that would imply some modicum of maturity - called another woman a "see-you-next Tuesday" (except she used the actual word that I am referring to) because she said Obamacare helped a lot of people. And anyone who doesn't agree with her political views is an idiot, a moron, and some other things that I cannot even post here. Oh, and hypocrites. She posted a meme about those who are pro-choice being a bunch of baby-killers and I was awfully close to asking her "What about the abortion that YOU had back in the day?".

I didn't. But boy do I feel better now that I do not have to see her face or her opinions all over Facebook. And I am in little danger of having to put up with it in real life these days either. I am a fairly mild-mannered person and I can let a lot slide, but some people will really do it for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships