U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,725,371 times

Advertisements

Since most holidays are Hallmark or mattress sale holidays, it doesn't really matter. It's the getting together that matters. We used to celebrate Christmas with our families a week or two after Christmas. There was no way to do it on Christmas as we live a few hours away. And scheduling it before Christmas just wasn't possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:02 AM

3,471 posts, read 1,576,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We used to celebrate Christmas with our families a week or two after Christmas. There was no way to do it on Christmas as we live a few hours away. And scheduling it before Christmas just wasn't possible.
A week or two after Christmas isn't entirely wrong. The Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates its Christmas on January 7. It's because their calendar is twelve days behind that of Western churches (no relation to the twelve days of Christmas). Think of it as the Eastern Orthodox counterpart of the Jewish or the Muslim calendar.

In fact, countries where this religion is dominant even have January 7 as a public holiday, rather than December 25. So think of delaying the Christmas celebration as giving it an international flair. And think of all the after-Christmas sales you can take advantage of.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-21-2017 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 AM

15,490 posts, read 17,669,575 times
If any sort of celebration is to happen off the conventional date, I think post date is the better option, especially the event is to celebrate an individual.

By celebrating post date, when the conventional date arrives, at least the upcoming festivity leaves something to look forward to. If celebrating pre date, after the celebration the conventional date may seem a bit empty.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:56 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post

If you can't celebrate on the day, do you prefer pre or post?
I do not take the time out of my day to worry about things like this for small holidays.

For bigger holidays, stuff is cheaper after the fact.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,725,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
A week or two after Christmas isn't entirely wrong. The Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates its Christmas on January 7. It's because their calendar is twelve days behind that of Western churches (no relation to the twelve days of Christmas). Think of it as the Eastern Orthodox counterpart of the Jewish or the Muslim calendar.

In fact, countries where this religion is dominant even have January 7 as a public holiday, rather than December 25. So think of delaying the Christmas celebration as giving it an international flair. And think of all the after-Christmas sales you can take advantage of.
Christmas to most of my family has no religious affiliation. My husband's family is quite the opposite! And I can't even imagine bringing up anything about Jewish or Muslim folks. I would be better telling themI killed Jesus. They're a little crazy about religion.

I hate after Christmas sales. Always have. That's what my birthday gifts always were growing up. My birthday is less than a month after Christmas. I don't do my Christmas shopping at the mall.....it's all online or at boutiques in the mountains or at local wineries. No after Christmas sales on wine around here.....most wineries actually shut down or drastically reduce their schedule then.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:09 PM

21,055 posts, read 11,676,612 times
I don't really have a preference, just as long as there is a date that works well for everyone involved. My son is actually getting 2 birthday celebrations this year because we need to delay to accommodate some schedules but of course we will do something on the actual day as well.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:23 PM

9,090 posts, read 8,241,145 times
Why would it matter?

Just celebrate when you can. Both mothers will be thrilled you thought of them.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:10 PM

646 posts, read 344,208 times
Only ever after. It's bad luck to do it before the actual day. At least in my world. LOL.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,954,387 times
Since my children were born I now have decided to stay home on Christmas Day. My MIL accommodates by having the family get-together the Saturday before. We do the same for Thanksgiving. Mothers Day I stay home and enjoy "my day". I call and send gifts to my mother and my MIL and typically see them both beforehand. I think acknowledging the event whether it's before or after is still special!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM

5,624 posts, read 3,616,627 times
If we can't celebrate on the actual day, I prefer doing it before the day. I don't know why, exactly, but I do. Thus, my kids get their birthday parties on the Saturday before the actual date. I used to fly down to Florida to visit my father on Thanksgiving, but then I discovered that the airfares were drastically lower over Veterans Day, which is only a couple of weeks before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or