Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:42 PM

47 posts, read 42,637 times

Advertisements

Hormonal? Hung Over? DVTs or other Issues. No matter what, they are her problems and not yours. Do not become your own burden and have your mind make up more than it is. If she continues then fight it out. Stand up for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 09:07 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,167,921 times
OP, you sound like a great person and a hard worker. I also bust my a$$ at my job, so can relate.

I definitely think the criticism against you was uncalled for. I don't have any advice to give other than hang in there. And, unless you hate the job & have another one lined up, I wouldn't leave the position.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
The devil is always in the details. You did miss a typo...and while I feel badly that you are taking this so hard.....I don't believe her email comment equates to yelling. So, I think you should unwind and distress......a typo can happen. The reason you feel so pressured is because you let your boss down. But, I'll bet there will not be any more typos getting past you.

It will be ok. Obvious you have skills.....Don't let this overwhelm you.

I've always found the best way to address this when you and your boss discuss it is to point out what you have learned from this experience. And that you'll be better prepared and more detail oriented going forward.

Last edited by JanND; 06-22-2017 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 934,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You didn't have to say that it was insignificant. You sound like you're treating this "small typo" as no biggie... My point is that when there's an error, the 99 things you do fantastically all goes out the window.
I agree. Still, what harm is there in management acknowledging what OP did accomplish. That wasn't easy. I think OP got it right away that the little typo ruined the project. So why beat a dead horse?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 PM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I cannot believe they actually escalated this to my overseas manager who was attending a conference abroad, had no internet contact and managed to send me an email a few minutes after the typo issue came out.

I don't think they're setting me up to fail. My overseas manager has bragged about my work to my onshore manager and the head of the department. She's so nice to me, like a mentor. She never ever e-yelled at me or blamed me for anything, until today when I chose to take the whole responsibility on my shoulders. This "lesson learned" all in caps, really hurt my feelings, because I did my work perfectly, especially as it was my first time and I got delegated this task the day before.

It was my manager's idea to give me the big clients because she's fully aware of my capabilities. Instead of providing positive reinforcement, I got dragged through the mud. It was my first big deal and it meant a lot to me to do it right, to gain their trust with such deals. It's ruined now, because of a typo (two numbers that got placed in reverse).

This is simply that I do not understand why she went off on me like that today, because of a small typo in an entire report that takes hours to figure out and elaborate. On top of this, the girl that was supposed to be my back-up for when I'm handling larger clients, declined to reply to my emails while I was working on the report. When I came back, she told me: "I forgot". I therefore wound up with a severe backlog to filter out and had to stay late.

Then, the person who delegated her work onto me had the guts to send me an email this morning saying "Hi colleagues" (I was the sole recipient and it was not a forward email).

I feel as though I have become a bit of a pushover.

I also had an instance with another colleague who blatantly deleted my email I sent him three weeks ago. Then, he got a reminder from another colleague. He said to that colleague he never received any documents, when the email I sent him contained the documents. He just didn't bother reading. I called him up on the phone and he blatantly told me: "I didn't see it, I can't find it, send it to me again". And at the end of the day, he provides updates with no background information, which makes me look like a fool. I don't have time to call everyone on the phone to ask if they got my email. It is their prerogative to read emails.
This same guy also blamed me for not checking documents properly. He escalated to my manager. Then it turns out the documents were fine as I checked them, and it was the compliance officer who extrapolated the requirements that didn't even exist in the first place.

I'm getting blamed for their shortcomings. I cannot handle this. I'm as transparent as it gets. Yet, I think I'm getting walked all over. I do my work correctly, and due to other people's inability to work efficiently, I get the short end of the stick (i.e: the blame).
Yes, this type of thing happens to people who take on work over and above what they should and figure it out on their own without help. In the long run, you will win because of your work ethic, but meanwhile, you have to deal with bozos who need people to blame things on.

Take a deep breath, then maybe compose a carefully worded email to your superiors proposing a solution in which there is a "team" to proofread or backup when a situation arises in which staff unfamilar with the procedures or a project must determine the best course of action without guidance from upper management so as to close any gaps in customer service that may arise as a result. Feel free to usemy words. You appear to be smart and a good writer. You can let them know they are azz holes without coming out and saying so.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,735,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The bottom line is they asked you if you were up to the task and you said you were.

You weren't.

Chalk it up to lesson learned and move forward.
I weren't because of a typo, you're joking?

They asked if I was fine with the procedure. I don't need help to copy and paste a bunch of numbers I calculated myself on an excel file! They didn't ask me if I knew how to copy and paste, dann it. The issue happened at replication, not at the calculation stage.

Besides, the input was done for two of the three files I submitted and the proofreader said it was great. I don't think that the wrong copy and paste of two numbers is an indication of my incompetence.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, this type of thing happens to people who take on work over and above what they should and figure it out on their own without help. In the long run, you will win because of your work ethic, but meanwhile, you have to deal with bozos who need people to blame things on.

Take a deep breath, then maybe compose a carefully worded email to your superiors proposing a solution in which there is a "team" to proofread or backup when a situation arises in which staff unfamilar with the procedures or a project must determine the best course of action without guidance from upper management so as to close any gaps in customer service that may arise as a result. Feel free to usemy words. You appear to be smart and a good writer. You can let them know they are azz holes without coming out and saying so.
I agree.

I don't work in customer service, but I could say something like that.

That said I'm extremely disappointed in my boss. She's always been my biggest supporter, and she hung me out to dry yesterday because of typo. This is not about the typo, it is about her attitude.

She's known to be pretty tough. She never has been with me, until yesterday.

I didnt even get a single, thank you for your help from anyone even though 2/3 of the batches went through OK.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 06-22-2017 at 11:16 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 PM

FYI, all the batches went through fine, except for one. Its not the whole submission that got rejected, but a single batch.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 PM

[quote=theoldnorthstate;48597885]OP, since you asked for input.

It sounds to me that you are minimizing your error and the impact it had on successful transmission of the report. A mistake can be small or big but it is still a mistake.

IMO you should adjust your attitude. Take the hit for the team and seek to improve next time. Show character

While it doesn't seem you are happy with managements response if they have been around for awhile they know that you had the report double checked and weren't alone in reviewing it. They know you had to self teach to do the project. They may be watching you to see how you handle the situation

Good luck[/QUOT

Like I said, I took all the blame upon myself and apologized. I can't do more than this.

My attitude is fine

Old 06-22-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
There is a huge difference in the ability to understand and execute a task versus a typo. A single freaking typo!

ALL human being make typos because NO human beings are robots.

NO ONE subscribes to some irrational standard that a typo means a person isn't capable. You can't possibly believe that the person who usually does this project never makes typos. And you can't tell me that the manager never makes typos.

If a single typo means someone isn't up to the task, then everyone everywhere should be fired from their job right now. That includes you.
Ha, I agree. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships