Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:28 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, although I can't find who said it first:

"Prayer: How to do nothing and still think you're helping."

To take that thought a bit further, I saw this on some website by an anonymous commenter:

“I don’t like when people say, ‘I’ll pray for you.’… You’re going to pray for me? So basically, you’re gonna sit at home and do nothing? ‘Cause that’s what your prayers are; you doing nothing while I struggle with a situation. So don’t pray for me — make me a sandwich or something."

Oh, and insert sense of humor here... >>>>>> [____________]
I pray you make your own sandwich,
I'll take an alligator sandwich myself.
And make it snappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 01:55 AM

51 posts, read 40,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I appreciate it when people say they will pray for me. I do. I am not of any strong religious affiliation, but I think its a nice thing to do for someone when they are in need of support. To me, its just holding them in your heart and sending good intentions their way. Do I think it works? I have no idea. But as I say, I generally do appreciate it when people say this.

HOWEVER there are some people who insist your outcome will be different because they have prayed for you and its maddening. For example, I had a health issue which did not turn out well. It was something that was very binary and could not be corrected-- I basically had to have surgery or there would be negative consequences in terms of infection and other complications.

I had a woman I know who insists that her prayers were going to heal this and turn it around. I said thanks for the kind thoughts. Prognosis turned out not good. I let her know. She still insisted that her prayers would heal me without the invasive surgery that I had scheduled. Up to the day I was headed in for that surgery she kept saying "the doctors will not even need to do it. I know my prayers will heal you."

Needless to say they didn't. The insistence that they will or did is now a moot point. But she still persists in saying that her prayers healed me. Surgery healed me. I just try to avoid the subject now.

Do you know any pushy pray-ers? How do you kindly re-direct them?
I honestly have never had this happen nor heard of it happening. Maybe your circle of influence encompasses many mentally ill people?

Old 06-24-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I should share with you what it means when you saying "I'm praying for you" to non-believers.

We know your heart is in the right place, but it means you are doing nothing that has any tangible value. I had a co-worker whose house burned down while she was pregnant with twins. MANY people said, "I'll pray for her." and that was it. Many of us bought clothes, diapers, pooled money for a Home Depot gift card, etc.

Some of us were annoyed that the people praying felt that what they did was just as valuable as the tangible gifts. Maybe in their eyes it was. But to a non-believer, you are doing nothing.
Well I think you both are likely non- believers. Maybe you're just honest about it. It also may be they just don't have the resources to help out also.

This is how believers are expected to handle situations akin to this.

If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? James 2:16

Old 06-24-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I must say that it bothers me when someone credits prayer with something doctors and technology did.
Thy Great Physician can guide doctors and technology as needed

Old 06-24-2017, 02:19 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
I was raised in an extremely religious environment and my relatives still always say they are praying for me. I don't really care one way or the other. It certainly can't hurt. In the spirit of graciousness, I say, "Thank you. I'll take all the prayers I can get."

Old 06-24-2017, 03:12 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
There was a study done 10 or 15 years ago; people who were prayed for had about the same survival rate as people who weren't prayed for. But the prayed-for folks were more likely to have complications.

I've had enough complications; I no longer tell the pray-ers about my health.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I should share with you what it means when you saying "I'm praying for you" to non-believers.

We know your heart is in the right place, but it means you are doing nothing that has any tangible value. I had a co-worker whose house burned down while she was pregnant with twins. MANY people said, "I'll pray for her." and that was it. Many of us bought clothes, diapers, pooled money for a Home Depot gift card, etc.

Some of us were annoyed that the people praying felt that what they did was just as valuable as the tangible gifts. Maybe in their eyes it was. But to a non-believer, you are doing nothing.
Even to a believer, it seems like they did nothing.

To me it makes more sense to pray for something's I can't handle on my own. In the case you cite, there was plenty that people could do. What you and your friends did was to be a good neighbor, which is about as Christian as it gets.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Lip service.

If you ask me to pray for you, you better be ready to pray cuz I'm going to do it right there where we are!

Sometimes I'll say "Could I pray for you right now?" or I'll ask "Do you want to pray about it?"

If I've got the urge, it's coming to me from somewhere. Normally there's strife (health, employment, personal) and the person is ready for ANY relief from worry. Sometimes it's just a matter of bringing a moment of peace.

Anyway, if someone says that to you here's a suggestion: What church do you go to? Maybe there's a prayer list you can add me to. (because there are some fierce prayer warriors at some churches - can't hurt)

Old 06-24-2017, 09:22 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I appreciate it when people say they will pray for me. I do. I am not of any strong religious affiliation, but I think its a nice thing to do for someone when they are in need of support. To me, its just holding them in your heart and sending good intentions their way. Do I think it works? I have no idea. But as I say, I generally do appreciate it when people say this.

HOWEVER there are some people who insist your outcome will be different because they have prayed for you and its maddening. For example, I had a health issue which did not turn out well. It was something that was very binary and could not be corrected-- I basically had to have surgery or there would be negative consequences in terms of infection and other complications.

I had a woman I know who insists that her prayers were going to heal this and turn it around. I said thanks for the kind thoughts. Prognosis turned out not good. I let her know. She still insisted that her prayers would heal me without the invasive surgery that I had scheduled. Up to the day I was headed in for that surgery she kept saying "the doctors will not even need to do it. I know my prayers will heal you."

Needless to say they didn't. The insistence that they will or did is now a moot point. But she still persists in saying that her prayers healed me. Surgery healed me. I just try to avoid the subject now.

Do you know any pushy pray-ers? How do you kindly re-direct them?
This is kind of petty of you, sorry to say. I mean, yeah, the doctors did the work. But while everybody wants to indulge here in their personal animus towards faith, they miss the important point: This is a person who, in her way, feels that she is supporting you in a time of need. I mean, outside of bringing a casserole or running an errand, what else is she supposed to do?

So the person is wanting the best possible outcome for you. Maybe she isn't expressing it in such a way as you would. Maybe her beliefs are at odds with reality. But, at its essence, she is in your corner. It would be ungrateful of you to correct her. Just say, "Thanks," and move on.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:24 AM

47 posts, read 42,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Lip service.

If you ask me to pray for you, you better be ready to pray cuz I'm going to do it right there where we are!

Sometimes I'll say "Could I pray for you right now?" or I'll ask "Do you want to pray about it?"

If I've got the urge, it's coming to me from somewhere. Normally there's strife (health, employment, personal) and the person is ready for ANY relief from worry. Sometimes it's just a matter of bringing a moment of peace.

Anyway, if someone says that to you here's a suggestion: What church do you go to? Maybe there's a prayer list you can add me to. (because there are some fierce prayer warriors at some churches - can't hurt)
That is kind. You can pray for me. I would love people's prayers. Even in a spiritual context; who does need prayer and well wishes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships