Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times

Advertisements

I know I shouldn't tell her I have feelings for her but I do want to distance myself from her. I stopped texting her. But if she starts to notice I am distancing myself I feel I should just be honest. I don't want to lie and say the usual "Oh I have just been too busy." Plus maybe it would be best if I just tell her just to relieve myself, even if I do destroy our friendship. I was thinking of just telling her something like "Well I want to give you some distance because you have a boyfriend and it wouldn't be right for me to hang out with you when I have a crush on you." Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 03:11 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I know I shouldn't tell her I have feelings for her but I do want to distance myself from her. I stopped texting her. But if she starts to notice I am distancing myself I feel I should just be honest. I don't want to lie and say the usual "Oh I have just been too busy." Plus maybe it would be best if I just tell her just to relieve myself, even if I do destroy our friendship. I was thinking of just telling her something like "Well I want to give you some distance because you have a boyfriend and it wouldn't be right for me to hang out with you when I have a crush on you." Thoughts?
Tell her the truth. That way she knows what's going on and doesn't think she did something wrong, when you start to put some distance between the two of you.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
It seems to me by distancing you're sacrificing the friendship already. Women are very intuitive about such methodology. Don't sell your friend short. It may well be she is already aware or at least has her suspicions about your feelings. I was friends with a lady for 20 years. From the moment I met her I was more than taken with her. Every fiber of my being was screaming at me that she was THE one. In the end it turned out she was.

She knew how I felt without me telling her. I ,being a dumb man didn't know she felt the same way. But we were both involved with other people and our lives took us in different directions for a while. I suppose it comes down to how much the friendship means to you. Being as she is involved with someone being totally straightforward may not be the best course. At least maybe not yet. Personally I wasn't willing to sacrifice the friendship by just laying it on the line before the time was right. When Is the time right? That's up to you. But you will know. That's all I can offer. Hope it helps. I know it's not much.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It seems to me by distancing you're sacrificing the friendship already. Women are very intuitive about such methodology. Don't sell your friend short. It may well be she is already aware or at least has her suspicions about your feelings. I was friends with a lady for 20 years. From the moment I met her I was more than taken with her. Every fiber of my being was screaming at me that she was THE one. In the end it turned out she was.

She knew how I felt without me telling her. I ,being a dumb man didn't know she felt the same way. But we were both involved with other people and our lives took us in different directions for a while. I suppose it comes down to how much the friendship means to you. Being as she is involved with someone being totally straightforward may not be the best course. At least maybe not yet. Personally I wasn't willing to sacrifice the friendship by just laying it on the line before the time was right. When Is the time right? That's up to you. But you will know. That's all I can offer. Hope it helps. I know it's not much.
Thanks. She has told me she has sees me as a brother but at the same time she has told me if it is God's will for us to be together it will happen. So I guess it means she is open to it. But still I am not really satisfied with just being her brother and she did say that a while ago. So even though I appreciate our friendship and everything she has done for me (well except for one time she gave me bad advice but that is a different story) I feel like I have nothing to lose if I just come clean with her.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
Tell her the truth. That way she knows what's going on and doesn't think she did something wrong, when you start to put some distance between the two of you.
This and I don't want to come off as jerk because I am avoiding her.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times
Quote:
Thanks. She has told me she has sees me as a brother but at the same time she has told me if it is God's will for us to be together it will happen. So I guess it means she is open to it. But still I am not really satisfied with just being her brother and she did say that a while ago. So even though I appreciate our friendship and everything she has done for me (well except for one time she gave me bad advice but that is a different story) I feel like I have nothing to lose if I just come clean with her.
It is God's will.

Both of you should talk to God about this individually.

God will let you know what he wants both of you to do.

But it has to be what God wants. Not what she wants and not what you want.

She may be open to this, but the ball is in God's court.

So wait for God's response.

Just because you tell her how you feel about her does not mean that God has chosen you for her and her for you..

So she told you that she thinks about you as a brother, and she tells you that it is God's will whether or not the 2 of you will be together.

Listen very carefully to that one.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:29 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I wouldn't complicate matters by telling her your feelings. Instead, since she is in a relationship, perhaps you should try to make some new friends and look for a girlfriend.

BTW are you waiting and hoping that she becomes available in the near future? IMO if she becomes available at some point, and in the meantime you never date anyone else, I feel that she will still view you as a brother figure. But... if you at least asking other women out, she might feel some pangs of jealousy or at least see you as boyfriend material since other women are having interest in you.

Anyway, distance yourself from her by spending time with new friends and other women. It will make you seem more interesting to her.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I wouldn't complicate matters by telling her your feelings. Instead, since she is in a relationship, perhaps you should try to make some new friends and look for a girlfriend.

BTW are you waiting and hoping that she becomes available in the near future? IMO if she becomes available at some point, and in the meantime you never date anyone else, I feel that she will still view you as a brother figure. But... if you at least asking other women out, she might feel some pangs of jealousy or at least see you as boyfriend material since other women are having interest in you.

Anyway, distance yourself from her by spending time with new friends and other women. It will make you seem more interesting to her.
Best advice

Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM

153 posts, read 121,018 times
If she stated it's up to "God's Will", I'd distance myself too. People don't need divine intervention to know if they are into someone.

That said, definitely be honest, no point in hiding your feelings. You'll feel better that you put it out there and she'll know exactly where you stand.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 PM

509 posts, read 484,526 times
Quote:
That sounds like it will be a very awkward conversation.

If you can't keep your feelings in check, then get busy; then you won't have to lie when you say you are busy, you will have less time to pine for her, and you might meet someone else.

But if you definitely want her out of your life, your way will probably work. It will probably destroy the friendship, you chose an apt word for it. I just think admitting crushes to people who are not single is very gauche and unwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships