U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I would have a stern conversation and let him know if he or his son approached my folks for money again that I would begin involving law enforcement and taking legal action. Maybe that will scare him off.
I agree. Better yet have your brothers with you and you all confront the guy and his son and tell them what's what.

I hope that you can get this stopped. It hurts to see our folks taken advantage of.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:21 PM

65 posts, read 24,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree. Better yet have your brothers with you and you all confront the guy and his son and tell them what's what.

I hope that you can get this stopped. It hurts to see our folks taken advantage of.
My brothers are never around and have never been around when they come over. There mostly busy with work and family.
I told my brother to call me today when he gets off work. He's a detective. He's one of my older brothers who is very protective of my dad and often sometimes in denial about his health. My dad has had deep brain strokes and whats keeping him alive is farming.
It's even hard to talk about this because I don't want to open up a can of worms.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:07 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,305,356 times
If everyone knows who this guy is, why don't you just go to his house and tell him he's not allowed to do any more work for your dad or ask for money? Tell him you'll be keeping an eye on the place, or set up a camera (fake or real, but somewhere he will see it) and tell him you have the house under observation and you don't want to see him coming around any more.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:19 PM

5,078 posts, read 2,457,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
If everyone knows who this guy is, why don't you just go to his house and tell him he's not allowed to do any more work for your dad or ask for money? Tell him you'll be keeping an eye on the place, or set up a camera (fake or real, but somewhere he will see it) and tell him you have the house under observation and you don't want to see him coming around any more.
That's a great idea! Put a baby cam in your parents house that is motion activated - monitor if from your home computer (you live next door, right?). You can keep an eye on who is asking for money, and have evidence to confront this man if he is repeatedly asking for loans.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:44 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,594,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleofariver View Post
My brothers are never around and have never been around when they come over. There mostly busy with work and family.
I told my brother to call me today when he gets off work. He's a detective. He's one of my older brothers who is very protective of my dad and often sometimes in denial about his health. My dad has had deep brain strokes and whats keeping him alive is farming.
It's even hard to talk about this because I don't want to open up a can of worms.
Well your brothers need to be around for this. They can make the time. There is strength in numbers, and you tell them that.

You're not opening a can of worms. This is an issue that needs to be addressed. You have the advantage that other people in this situation don't have. You have a law enforcement in the family.

You have a firm but not threatening discussion with this man and tell him his services are no longer required and he is not to contact your parents or come on their property. Your parents don't even have to know you did this.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 PM

9,126 posts, read 3,537,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleofariver View Post
No...only my dad calls him or his dad every month to fix something. .
You need to find someone else who can work as a handyman for your dad. If he's asking them to fix things, they make believe there is a connection there, where they can ask for money or favors in exchange for these services.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:48 PM

785 posts, read 386,099 times
If your dad is 'not all there' anymore, you might want to consider getting a power of attorney first. Having an elderly person in that state makes them very vulnerable to fraud.

But yes, I would 100% go to these people and tell them that they are not to be working for your dad anymore, and are not to ask him or your mother for money any more. Don't be rude, but be firm. And the suggestion to setup a security camera system (both inside and outside the house) that you can remotely view would be a wise choice. If anything were to happen, you would have video evidence. Also, do you have a handyman who fixes things for you? Then let him start fixing things for your dad. Or if you don't find one so that your dad no longer has a reason to keep asking these people to come back.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Yes, power of attorney. My own Dad has had an Edward Jones salesperson dogging him for months. I'm worried he'll turn over every dime he has to this person.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angietruemue View Post
Hello, thank you for responding to my post.

Good news i have contacted one of my older brothers when he got off work who is a detective and I told him about the guy and his dad asking my parents for money and my brother was livid that he didn't know anything about it. So i feel alot better now.

P.s. they deleted my account for some stupid false reason
Is he a police detective or a private detective? I'm sure either way he could help you, that's great. You might also contact Adult Protective Services and see if they can help in any way, even if just letting you make a report on this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or