U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 AM

186 posts, read 87,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I wouldn't even bother with saying this. Find someone else to take to the game. If he asks about the game than you can say "well you were so angry with me I didn't think it was a good idea to see the two of you for the time being".

Because he sounds like the type that if he did go(just to see the game) he would have a chip on his shoulder and ruin the day.
Double This!^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,611,808 times
Quote:
Because he sounds like the type that if he did go(just to see the game) he would have a chip on his shoulder and ruin the day.
Yep, I agree. I would dump both of them for the time being.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM

1,928 posts, read 944,268 times
Quote:
That's the hysterical part, they want to live like that but don't have the bank account.
Only low-rent folks who live by 'Housewives of Wherever' and 'Love and Hip Hop' throw parties the guests must pay for. I'd be embarrassed to even ask my friends to do something like that.

It's OP's money to waste as he sees fit, but just the fact that he went along with this nonsense to begin with--and apparently has in the past as well--says a lot about him, also.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:03 PM

1,379 posts, read 549,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Only low-rent folks who live by 'Housewives of Wherever' and 'Love and Hip Hop' throw parties the guests must pay for. I'd be embarrassed to even ask my friends to do something like that.

It's OP's money to waste as he sees fit, but just the fact that he went along with this nonsense to begin with--and apparently has in the past as well--says a lot about him, also.
I don't see it being a problem pitching in for something. About 5 years ago, my other friend had a boat party, and it was $30 per person, but there was free booze, food and not dress code. In all honesty I don't think that's bad.

This friend that is mad at me, his girlfriend threw a barcrawl party that cost everyone more than $100 just to participate. I'll be honest I wasn't crazy about it, but this is a friend I have had since high school and I had the money so I was okay with it. But yeah, from now on, I learned my lesson, i am not participating in any birthday parties that have such requirements.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 PM

607 posts, read 725,247 times
He basically wants you all to throw a party for his girlfriend because he can't afford it! To make it worse, what kind of friend tells someone they are replaceable. He's hanging his hat where he can't reach it to please a "girlfriend". At 31 years old, who needs this petty crap. Oh forget him & save your money.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,611,127 times
I have a friend who for her birthday last year she wanted to do a wine tour. She expected everyone to pay for the shuttle to each winery, bring alcohol on the bus--byob, bring/pay for our own food and pay for our tastings. It was easily going to cost at least $150+ per person. At the time, I would have been able to afford the actual winery and maybe the transportation but I expected her to pay for something...since it was her party. I politely declined, explaining to her that i just couldn't swing it. She was very mad a me for a while but eventually she got over it. I did have to remind her that she didn't attend my 30th birthday even though I had my birthday at a bar and paid for food so the only expense to her would be her drinks.

Anyway...OP, your Friend's GF sounds super self absorbed. Your friend will come around. I'd just take a step back for now.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:59 PM

9,907 posts, read 3,935,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I don't see it being a problem pitching in for something. About 5 years ago, my other friend had a boat party, and it was $30 per person, but there was free booze, food and not dress code. In all honesty I don't think that's bad.

This friend that is mad at me, his girlfriend threw a barcrawl party that cost everyone more than $100 just to participate. I'll be honest I wasn't crazy about it, but this is a friend I have had since high school and I had the money so I was okay with it. But yeah, from now on, I learned my lesson, i am not participating in any birthday parties that have such requirements.
See, that's an entirely different thing. People do that - decide to get a crowd together and everyone pitch in for the boat, the beach house, whatever it is. That's perfectly acceptable - everyone pays their way, and everyone is on equal "footing" - the party isn't to celebrate the partner of the host.

It's just different when your friend invites all these people with his girlfriend as the guest of honor, to celebrate her birthday, and makes you pay for it.

It sounds like the party already happened - how did it go, do you know?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
See, that's an entirely different thing. People do that - decide to get a crowd together and everyone pitch in for the boat, the beach house, whatever it is. That's perfectly acceptable - everyone pays their way, and everyone is on equal "footing" - the party isn't to celebrate the partner of the host.

It's just different when your friend invites all these people with his girlfriend as the guest of honor, to celebrate her birthday, and makes you pay for it.

It sounds like the party already happened - how did it go, do you know?
Party was this last Sunday. I asked how the party went, my friend basically was offended on how I could ask such a question after what I did.

I honestly don't care, and I don't know if it will ruin the friendship, but I really am not going to argue over something so petty. I am also not going to apologize as I didn't do anything wrong. Me caving in and apologizing, just sends the wrong message.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:30 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,341,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Party was this last Sunday. I asked how the party went, my friend basically was offended on how I could ask such a question after what I did.

I honestly don't care, and I don't know if it will ruin the friendship, but I really am not going to argue over something so petty. I am also not going to apologize as I didn't do anything wrong. Me caving in and apologizing, just sends the wrong message.
Just for contrast, here is how my sister's "White Party" went.

She sent invitations explaining the whole white attire thing months in advance.

She paid for EVERYTHING.

When people sent an RSVP that they couldn't make it, she thanked them graciously for letting her know.

The party was fantastic.

Your friend is an idiot.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Just for contrast, here is how my sister's "White Party" went.

She sent invitations explaining the whole white attire thing months in advance.

She paid for EVERYTHING.

When people sent an RSVP that they couldn't make it, she thanked them graciously for letting her know.

The party was fantastic.

Your friend is an idiot.
I actually called my friend too to let him know that I wasn't going. It wasn't like I even did it over text or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships