Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:00 PM

35,047 posts, read 31,242,294 times

Advertisements

One of my high school and college friends got married last weekend. We're both from Tennessee, but he moved to Michigan and I moved to Indiana back in 2014. We met up at a Michigan football game one year. I haven't seen him since, though have talked to him on Facebook occasionally.

Before that, we saw each other a few times a week and worked across the street from each other for a couple of years. We weren't best friends, but I thought we were fairly close. We never had any hard words, but life took us separate ways, as it does many people.

I would have liked to have gone, but I was frankly puzzled that he didn't even notify the people from "back home" when it was happening, if only to send a congratulations. Another two friends were never notified either.

Do you only send wedding invitations to people very close to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:18 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
He might have had a very small wedding, and couldn't invite people much beyond family. You haven't seen him in a few years, so it's not like you're besties.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Do you only send wedding invitations to people very close to you?
It's all about cost. I wouldn't invite someone I haven't seen in person in more than a year, unless it was a core family member such as sister/brother.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:25 PM

153 posts, read 130,013 times
Some people have very small private weddings. I personally think this is the way to go. Family and a couple very close friends is all I will be inviting.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
[quote=Serious Conversation;48684203]One of my high school and college friends got married last weekend. We're both from Tennessee, but he moved to Michigan and I moved to Indiana back in 2014. We met up at a Michigan football game one year. I haven't seen him since, though have talked to him on Facebook occasionally.

Before that, we saw each other a few times a week and worked across the street from each other for a couple of years. We weren't best friends, but I thought we were fairly close. We never had any hard words, but life took us separate ways, as it does many people.

I would have liked to have gone, but I was frankly puzzled that he didn't even notify the people from "back home" when it was happening, if only to send a congratulations. Another two friends were never notified either.

Do you only send wedding invitations to people very close to you?[/QUOTE]

If only that were true....LOL.

You should be thankful you weren't invited. Many of us get invites from people we barely know or knew a long tim ago with an invite to a wedding on the other side of the country. Just being a guest at a wedding and in your case a wedding in a state you no longer live in can get costly, you do this for people you are close to, this sounds like an acquaintance.

They obviously wanted a small wedding which IMO is the way to do it.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:38 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,525,831 times
You only met once in three years and talk occasionally on Facebook. You may have been close once but you are not now. As people move through life they tend to drift apart from their high school and college friends unless a concentrated effort is made to keep up the friendship which hasn't happened in this case. He probably couldn't invite everyone he knew and since you are not as close to him as you once were, you were not invited.

Don't dwell on it -send him your congratulations and move on.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:14 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
It doesn't sound like you were vey good friends, and some people want their weddings to only include those close to them. Is this really a revelation to you?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:18 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
You only met once in three years and talk occasionally on Facebook. You may have been close once but you are not now. As people move through life they tend to drift apart from their high school and college friends unless a concentrated effort is made to keep up the friendship which hasn't happened in this case. He probably couldn't invite everyone he knew and since you are not as close to him as you once were, you were not invited.
That's true. Right after college I was invited to a bunch of weddings for friends and acquaintances whom I went to school with. If I got married right now, very few of those people would be on the list. Maybe we were close then, but we're not now.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,367,819 times
People often send out wedding invitations out of politeness because they don't want the person to feel excluded.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,159,975 times
Couple things could be going on:
Family on one or both sides is dictating the guest list
Bride is dictating the guest list
It is a small wedding due to cost
He may have assumed the travel would be too much for you for a one day thing
or you're just not as close as you think you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships