U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:29 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,430,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Well, you can call me all the names you want to. Not sure why you would even mention this, because I did not call you or anyone else, any names. But, oh well. If you think I did that, then I suggest that you go back and read my posts so that you can see that I never called you any names.
Apologies, that was someone else .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 02:02 AM

9,058 posts, read 2,958,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
You have every right to be angry. The cop is correct however. Since he did not get any thing he really did't break any laws.
You would hope the police would put him on a watchlist and take a look at his "detail shop" operation, if it actually exists. They might already have some complaints or violations against him. Those things should have been checked by the dispatcher, while the cop was on the scene.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:10 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,185,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Stuff like this makes my blood boil. I would have gotten his name, taken his picture and a picture of his car, and posted it all over social media calling him out on his scam.
Then you would be sued.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 AM

651 posts, read 237,461 times
OP, you are smart and did a great job. You were not overreacting. Most of people in your situation would be angry too. But it's always better if one could control him/herself and to be calm. Easier said than done anyway.

Thank you for sharing this situation with us, so many of us could learn something and we would know what to do if the same thing might happen to any of us.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:07 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,514,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Then you would be sued.
Nope. You can take a picture, post the police report and tell your story. The OP could have just said "I was accused of hitting this guy's car. He said we didn't have to go through insurance and he'd take a few hundred instead. The police reviewed the video and found that he was incorrect. If someone claims you've damaged their car and offers this kind of "deal" you should involve the police."

Nothing slanderous there. Just the facts.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:11 PM

6,944 posts, read 3,969,174 times
Your anger is justified. I would have been really mad also.
But, the policeman is right, there is no way to really prove that his motive was attempted Fraud (although it probably was).

Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,430,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Your anger is justified. I would have been really mad also.
But, the policeman is right, there is no way to really prove that his motive was attempted Fraud (although it probably was).
Ah !!! A voice of reason.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 8,587,030 times
Get yourself a little dash cam and you'll never have to worry about someone claiming you hit their car when you didn't and you won't have to depend on there being cameras wherever you're parked. Plus it's protection for your car from break-ins. Problem solved.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM

585 posts, read 243,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br242 View Post
well i was more or less trembling with anger. while i didnt do anything crazy. i guess im hard on myself that i feel like i should able to calmly and rationally make my point in these situations, rather than getting upset and flustered to the point where my point comes across as aggressive.

though im also a rather large guy as i do the competitive bodybuilding as a hobby., so that may be the reason it comes across as more intimidating(so im told)
As long as you were only visibly upset and didn't react with any physical violence, all good. Now that it is done, let it go of it a little more each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or