Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:59 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

Heh. When someone titles a post like yours, I almost always end up reading and thinking "You freakin' lunatic..."

But, OMG, you have every right to be incensed. That's crazy and I'm shocked the cop did nothing. I would make a stink to have him banned from the gym if he has a membership there and definitely go above the cop's head to his superior to explain what happened. This dude is a total con man, and he needs to be checked before he pulls something like this on a more vulnerable person.

My father is 86 and suffering from dementia, so people who do predatory stuff like this really tick me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:18 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I am probably wasting my time, but I will try to explain this to you one more time. The accuser KNEW for a fact that this guy did not hit his car. No one thinks that he said he SAW the hit, and no one, but YOU, thinks that he THOUGHT the car was hit.

Here's how it happened, how it HAD to have happened! The accuser parks his car next to a car that is already parked there, not next to an empty spot, because the OP's car was already there. He knew that car was there, because he knew that he did not park next to an empty spot and he knew that he parked next to THAT car, because that car was THERE when he parked his car! How can you not understand this? Do you not notice the other cars and/or empty spots that are next to you when you park? Most people, and I would hope ALL people would notice this.

In order to believe your scenario, one would have to assume that the accuser was so stupid that he didn't know he parked next to another car that was already there AND that he didn't know his car was already dented/scratched. That's a lot to assume and also, ridiculous.
Agreed! Anyone who can't grasp something so simple has severe cognitive deficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
But, OMG, you have every right to be incensed. That's crazy and I'm shocked the cop did nothing. I would make a stink to have him banned from the gym if he has a membership there and definitely go above the cop's head to his superior to explain what happened. This dude is a total con man, and he needs to be checked before he pulls something like this on a more vulnerable person.
Agreed! These con artists rely on suckers who will give in to them. Scammers like this deserve to be tracked down & eliminated, like the animals they are.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 07-01-2017 at 10:26 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:52 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Now, I think I'll go bang my head against a wall for a bit - that will be more pleasant than trying to explain anything to you.
I feel the same way but what you are missing is that people park often without paying much attention to the exact car that is beside them.
If he went in another store cars can come and go and the car beside him could have come & gone.

Yes, we know it didn't but we don't know for sure that he knew that.

He could have come out, seen the damage and then thought the car beside him was the guilty one.

Where you are getting stuck on is what we know because of the camera and what he knew..

I often return to my car in a parking lot and could not tell you whether the car beside me
was the same one that was there when I parked.

I have already said he was probably scamming but the inability to prove
that he knew the person accused was not guilty is one reason that
he can't be arrested.

I am just as confounded that you can't see that flaw in your post, but I won't stoop to
name calling.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

He could have come out, seen the damage and then thought the car beside him was the guilty one.

Where you are getting stuck on is what we know because of the camera and what he knew..

I often return to my car in a parking lot and could not tell you whether the car beside me

I have already said he was probably scamming but the inability to prove that he knew the person accused was not guilty is one reason that he can't be arrested.
I find it contemptuous that you're defending a criminal scammer. He obviously knew that the car that he parked near when he pulled into the parking lot was the same one that was there when he came out - if he even left his car for any period of time. For all we know, he pulled into the parking lot with the pre-existing damage, decided he wanted to scam someone out of some money, and then walked into the gym & claimed that the OP had hit his car. The security footage would show how long he was away from his car after he parked it.

I'm amazed that there are people out there who actually think there's any doubt about this guy being a scammer - truly incredible.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I find it contemptuous that you're defending a criminal scammer.
Not defending him.
Just using logic as to why the policeman could not arrest him.

Why does it anger you so much that I think the
policeman would have liked to arrest him but could not because
his arrest would not stand up in a court of law.

Lots of people are guilty of much worse but cannot be
convicted in a court of law.

No jury would convict someone because they surmise that
he had to have paid attention to who he parked beside.
Lots of people do not pay attention to details like that.

Beginning to think you are the OP under another screen name .

Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
I feel the same way but what you are missing is that people park often without paying much attention to the exact car that is beside them.
If he went in another store cars can come and go and the car beside him could have come & gone.

I have already said he was probably scamming but the inability to prove
that he knew the person accused was not guilty is one reason that
he can't be arrested.

I am just as confounded that you can't see that flaw in your post, but I won't stoop to
name calling.
Well, you can call me all the names you want to. Not sure why you would even mention this, because I did not call you or anyone else, any names. But, oh well. If you think I did that, then I suggest that you go back and read my posts so that you can see that I never called you any names.

I also never said anything about having this person be arrested. All I said was that I thought (and I still do) that there should be a police report about it. I do think that would be a good thing to have as documentation in case he attempts something similar in the future. Having a report about it could prevent others from being scammed by him in case there is a similar situation but without the security cameras to prove that he was wrong about his claims.

Anyway, please answer this for me, if you don't mind. Do you really think that this accuser did not know that there was damage to his car in the first place? Do you think that he drove to this place and parked his car and then came back out and was genuinely surprised to find that there was damage to the side of his car?

And, if you don't notice what cars you park beside or if you are parking next to an empty spot, you might want to pay more attention to your surroundings. Paying attention to your surroundings can sometimes save your life. Here's a link about it and I hope you do take the time to learn about it, if you don't already know. Seriously, it could save your life someday.

Situational Awareness: A Skill You Need

Old 07-01-2017, 04:10 PM

329 posts, read 459,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br242 View Post
so i was at the gym, they call my license plate out. i go to the front desk and they tell me some guy said i hit his car.

now im not an idiot, i know i didnt hit anyones car. i would of noticed.

so i go out there and the guy starts running a routine on me. says he works at a detailing shop and i did 1k of damage to his car. and he will settle for a few hundred.

so, im pretty much like no. call the cops.

he calls the cops. and the cop watches security camera. and i parked prior to him being there, so i couldnt of caused the damaged.

i got pretty pissed lol. i wanted to file charges for the guy trying to run a scam, but the cop said there was no way to prove it and just because the guy asked for money, it isnt a crime. as i didnt give him any.

i think i was just flustered and made quite a poor case.

but the whole situation makes me pretty irate. over reacting?

No, you are not overreacting. But I wouldn't give a second thought to it and keep pursuing it because there are a lot of mentally unstable out there with road rage and "parking rage" or whatever.

My husband works at very large government agency with a huge parking lot. No assigned parking, you park wherever you want. One day in the wintertime, while it was snowing like crazy, he came back after a hard day's work and had a nasty note clipped to his windshield. The note said that my husband had parked in this person's spot and it had a bunch of profanity written all over it. I gave him the same advice, forget about it, sounds like the guy who wrote that is nuts, don't even bother thinking about it. Mind you, it's in the middle of winter, snowing like crazy, you can't exactly see that well and it's hard to even see the parking spot lines let alone be able to read minds that some crazy man likes that particular "spot" especially when there's hundreds and hundreds of parking spaces.

It's also more of a man thing, as a woman, I have never been confronted by another woman about a parking spot or my car bumped hers. Something with cars and manhood. And mental illness mostly. Be careful out there, people are being shot in the head for trying to merge onto the freeway. It's simply not worth confronting anyone in this day and age. And you don't need that for your health to be angry, not worth it.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Anyway, please answer this for me, if you don't mind. Do you really think that this accuser did not know that there was damage to his car in the first place? Do you think that he drove to this place and parked his car and then came back out and was genuinely surprised to find that there was damage to the side of his car?

And, if you don't notice what cars you park beside or if you are parking next to an empty spot, you might want to pay more attention to your surroundings. Paying attention to your surroundings can sometimes save your life. Here's a link about it and I hope you do take the time to learn about it, if you don't already know. Seriously, it could save your life someday.

I am not trying to argue but I will answer...
I think the guy was a scammer, scum of the earth type person.
So thinking I am defending him is way off the mark.

The thread was discussing why the policeman could not arrest him.
I was posting the excuse the guy could have used to say
he thought the accused actually hit him.

I probably should pay more attention to my surroundings but
if I park and run into a store I usually could not tell you what car was parked
beside me, especially my passenger side.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Exactly!!!

Quote:
Beginning to think you are the OP under another screen name .
No, I'm not the OP under another screen name. If what happened to the OP had happened to me, I would have been a lot less restrained under the circumstances.

However, I have been the target of other scams (not quite like this), and it enrages me that these scammers are able to get away with their crap. That's the reason I'm so upset about this.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Exactly!!!

No, I'm not the OP under another screen name. If what happened to the OP had happened to me, I would have been a lot less restrained under the circumstances.

However, I have been the target of other scams (not quite like this), and it enrages me that these scammers are able to get away with their crap. That's the reason I'm so upset about this.
I hate scammers to, and especially the ones that prey on elderly.
And yes, I think this guy was a scammer.
I was only trying to explain why I think the police's hands were tied about arresting him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships