Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:03 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
Some people have very small private weddings. I personally think this is the way to go. Family and a couple very close friends is all I will be inviting.
Amen to this! A family member had a destination wedding and paid all lodging and most the food costs (rented a large, gorgeous villa) for the parents, sibling, and several very close friends. Bravo to them!

I heard it was a great time and nobody appeared slighted who wasn't invited. If they did, it certainly wasn't expressed as the type and size of a wedding is a very personal decision. As a matter of fact, some people were relieved.

I am seeing a trend toward smaller weddings but cost is not always the determining factor. Many people just don't want a circus and some people don't enjoy attending one. But people can do whatever floats their boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:49 PM

204 posts, read 181,540 times
My family 10
Her Family 28
My Weddings party 4
Hers 8
Work friends 15
Church Friends 15

We are done.......

College
Highschool
social clubs
gym
past jobs

Old 06-30-2017, 06:50 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I'm assuming it was due to cost. Weddings these days are insanely expensive and if the bride and groom paid for it themselves (even if they didn't) they were probably trying to scale back. Some people don't want to invite every person they have ever known.

Obviously there are other possible reasons:

...It was a small destination wedding....family, very close friends only.
...Courthouse wedding, no reception.
...Family only

............They just didn't invite you!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:54 PM

153 posts, read 121,095 times
Definitely don't take it personally. He probably wanted a small wedding for personal or financial reasons and kept it close to the vest to avoid questions about receptions, showers and bachelor party's.

I'd still send a thoughtful congrats and gift to show you are happy for him. It may also open up communication where he'll share why the wedding was low key and be relieved that you are still friends despite not being invited.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Do you only send wedding invitations to people very close to you?
Hubby and I were poor graduate students when we were married. We figured out our guest list by whether or not we would pick up the dinner tab (including drinks) at an expensive restaurant for the person or couple if they were visiting us or were from out of town. Because, basically that is what you are really doing when you are paying for a wedding. Parents, siblings, aunts & uncles, a few cousins and very, very close friends "made the cut". Friends that we haven't seen in a couple of years? Nope.

Now, if we were filthy rich and throwing an enormous wedding work friends, all of our cousins and friends that we had not seen in a while may have "made the cut".

I once attended a wedding with perhaps 400 or so guests (the bride's parents paid for it). Perhaps 30 or more people just from her office attended. Some entire weddings are that size (30 guests).

Old 06-30-2017, 08:31 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would have liked to have gone, but I was frankly puzzled that he didn't even notify the people from "back home" when it was happening, if only to send a congratulations. Another two friends were never notified either.

Do you only send wedding invitations to people very close to you?
Do you realize how expensive a wedding can be? For a traditional wedding reception, dinner and dance, the food can run a minimum of $80 a head, plus the cost of the bar tab and the dj. So, yeah most couples are only going to invite only family and close friends.

I understand your desire to be invited to a joyful celebration like that, but why would anyone invite casual friends or former classmates to their nuptials unless they were very wealthy? And if they didn't mail you a wedding announcement, maybe it was because it would seem like they were fishing for wedding presents. And since you are connected through Facebook, you should have known about their wedding from posts on his page.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I really wanted to be maid of honor in my closest friend's wedding. However, when she got engaged, she announced that her wedding would be just her and her husband, in a chapel. They flew to California to get married there, with no attendants, no guests. I was disappointed, of course, but I got over it.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
I would bet that we've seen more threads started by people who resented being invited to a wedding for someone they weren't particularly close to or didn't know well (and may have seen it as a gift grab) than threads where someone is hurt and feeling left out by a lack of invitation.

But I could be wrong.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I would bet that we've seen more threads started by people who resented being invited to a wedding for someone they weren't particularly close to or didn't know well (and may have seen it as a gift grab) than threads where someone is hurt and feeling left out by a lack of invitation.

But I could be wrong.
I think that you are right.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
We did not send any but we eloped.
There are many reasons why invitations were not sent to everyone for every wedding.
It is the choice of the Bride and Groom with many factors being considered.
Personally we do not attend a wedding unless it involves close family, otherwise we send a card and gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships