U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:48 PM

14,998 posts, read 21,647,615 times

Advertisements

No one I know is really doing anything for the 4th. If I want to do something, I'll need to plan it. I am finding that more and more. Don't wait for other people to invite you, make your own fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 PM

1,149 posts, read 799,212 times
Meh, I'm not planning on anything- frankly I'm tired of the same old same old with holidays year after year. I don't have any desire to sit out in gross heat and humidity to see a fireworks display for the millionth time, either. *shrug*

Old 07-04-2017, 01:59 AM

55,616 posts, read 54,217,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho54 View Post
Yeah, I'm the only person in the world who notices people aren't as good at being friends as they were thirty years ago. Yup, it's just me.

I'm trying to help the OP out. It's best to keep your expectations low and understand that single people just aren't going to be invited around for special events. Certainly not like couples are.

I had some 'friends' in the last city I lived that only invited me over when they needed my help. But parties, dinners, etc? That was couples only.

I dumped them rather than be used by them. You've got to know where to draw the line.
There's some truth to that. Even when we are, we are out of place many times. I had a friend who DID invite me to barbecues, etc., but I was always the only person there who wasn't in a relationship. Even the other divorced people were paired up. Everyone looked at me as if I was The Thing That Could Happen To them.

I told my friend I wasn't going anymore because I felt out of place with all couples. She said she understood.

That was a few years ago. Tomorrow I am going to that woman's house. She is no longer in a relationship. Another friend whose husband is in prison will be joining us.

One year I had nothing to do on the 4th, so I went to the beach by myself with a book.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:47 AM

12,587 posts, read 13,992,195 times
After I left my parents' home holidays became pretty much just another Sunday. Sometimes I made plans, sometimes I joined other people and sometimes I spent the day alone. I guess I was fortunate in that I could just go with what was there or what wasn't there, no BFD.

I feel sorry for people who cannot wing a holiday or a weekend on their own from time to time.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:50 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,040,569 times
I dont like the assumption that I'm supposed to see all of my family today just because I have one day off work. I'd rather hang out completely alone!

Old 07-04-2017, 05:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,114,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I'm in a city and don't have too many friends. I'm pretty annoyed nobody invited me to anything even when I told everyone who asked that I wasn't doing anything for the 4th. I asked one of my friends if I could hang out at her place but it didn't sound concrete. I'm actually not sure what she's doing. I have another friend who told me he didn't have plans but he had a friend coming to town so now they'll hang out. I thought of asking if I could tag along but I might feel like the third wheel. I wouldn't even know how to ask. What if if he just wants to catch up with his friend? No meetups tomorrow either. I'm guessing most places will be closed. Eh, maybe I'll just go to a movie. That's what I did for Thanksgiving.
Yep, as a single person, you have to entertain yourself a lot of times and learn not to have to depend on others.

Any hobbies? Me, I'll be exercising like I do every other day, possibly mountain biking as well. Maybe a museum that's open. Maybe catch the Cubs-Rays afternoon game if I can find a TV with it one somewhere. Holidays are usually like any other day, to me.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,256,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
It's easier to enjoy the parade today because you can take pictures with your phone that's all I;m saying.
And before you could take them with your camera. I don't see how the enjoyment would change.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,114,119 times
.....six miles run done.....now aking a break from waxing the car......btw, exercise releases endorphins, the high improves your mood and spirits.....OP, give it a try.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 AM

9,940 posts, read 6,098,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Having a significant other is radically different from being single. It's something that many people on these Forums who have a significant other do not understand.

The fact that you think there are similarities proves my point.

If you with a significant other want to think you have similar life circumstance and similar feelings of living to singles, fine.

Having the love, emotional support, life together, and physical presence of a significant other makes all the difference in the world. - and makes you radically different from a single person.
Oh gee, another arrogant person in a relationship thinking they're better than single people

Old 07-04-2017, 08:39 AM

3,673 posts, read 1,336,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I dont like the assumption that I'm supposed to see all of my family today just because I have one day off work. I'd rather hang out completely alone!
That's what I was trying to do but my family kept bugging me to go to a family cookout in another state. I didn't want to go since I'm off tomorrow and just planned on relaxing in the A.C. eating my favorite snacks. So now I will be outside in the heat eating and watching people snack on crabsl.p.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or