Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:57 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

I'm in a city and don't have too many friends. I'm pretty annoyed nobody invited me to anything even when I told everyone who asked that I wasn't doing anything for the 4th. I asked one of my friends if I could hang out at her place but it didn't sound concrete. I'm actually not sure what she's doing. I have another friend who told me he didn't have plans but he had a friend coming to town so now they'll hang out. I thought of asking if I could tag along but I might feel like the third wheel. I wouldn't even know how to ask. What if if he just wants to catch up with his friend? No meetups tomorrow either. I'm guessing most places will be closed. Eh, maybe I'll just go to a movie. That's what I did for Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM

44 posts, read 55,077 times
Get used to it. It only gets worse as you get older. Single people aren't even a blip on most peoples social radar.

No one is thinking about you. Unless they need something from you. It's just the way it is.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I'm in a city and don't have too many friends. I'm pretty annoyed nobody invited me to anything even when I told everyone who asked that I wasn't doing anything for the 4th. I asked one of my friends if I could hang out at her place but it didn't sound concrete. I'm actually not sure what she's doing. I have another friend who told me he didn't have plans but he had a friend coming to town so now they'll hang out. I thought of asking if I could tag along but I might feel like the third wheel. I wouldn't even know how to ask. What if if he just wants to catch up with his friend? No meetups tomorrow either. I'm guessing most places will be closed. Eh, maybe I'll just go to a movie. That's what I did for Thanksgiving.
Nope & nope.

Can you not just entertain yourself? People are not required to plan your social life for you.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho54 View Post
Get used to it. It only gets worse as you get older. Single people aren't even a blip on most peoples social radar.

No one is thinking about you. Unless they need something from you. It's just the way it is.
Man...jaded much? Maybe it's just the people you know that behave that way...

Also, if you're never invited anywhere it's time to check thyself.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
It's not always like that. We include the single people here at our complex, in everything we all do. They are just as welcome.

I am hoping some gringos here will have fireworks tomorrow, on the beach. Obviously its no holiday here.

OP, it was the same for me when I was single. I just went to movies alone, or some other distraction. Holidays are the WORST. I feel for you. I hate holidays and all the attendant expectations....

Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
I will be completely alone tomorrow. I have not received any holiday invites in years. My family travels for the holidays but because of sharing visitation with my ex, I have to stay in town during holidays. It sucks.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 55,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Man...jaded much? Maybe it's just the people you know that behave that way...

Also, if you're never invited anywhere it's time to check thyself.
Yeah, I'm the only person in the world who notices people aren't as good at being friends as they were thirty years ago. Yup, it's just me.

I'm trying to help the OP out. It's best to keep your expectations low and understand that single people just aren't going to be invited around for special events. Certainly not like couples are.

I had some 'friends' in the last city I lived that only invited me over when they needed my help. But parties, dinners, etc? That was couples only.

I dumped them rather than be used by them. You've got to know where to draw the line.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
I'm in a city and don't have too many friends. I'm pretty annoyed nobody invited me to anything even when I told everyone who asked that I wasn't doing anything for the 4th.
Did you invite anyone to do anything? Why is it up to everyone else to plan the day's events? Its not too late, why not look up some local firework displays and call/text some friends to see if anyone wants to go.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
We rarely make actual plans, we just see what the day brings and enjoy whatever happens.
Much less stress and disappointment that way.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho54 View Post
I'm trying to help the OP out. It's best to keep your expectations low and understand that single people just aren't going to be invited around for special events. Certainly not like couples are.

I had some 'friends' in the last city I lived that only invited me over when they needed my help. But parties, dinners, etc? That was couples only.
Just because you are single, doesnt mean you cant plan a get together. Why should couples be the ones always doing the inviting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships