Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I have been for the better part of the week trying to encourage a friend to get out of a pyramid scheme . Yes it is called plexus and I have sent her several links to people who have been scammed by this company and what does she do ? she asks her distributor if these links are true ? what do you think they are going to say ? Oh no of course not . Now this is a woman who is college educated and is fairly smart I would say and yet she fell for this crap . I have warned her and shown her proof positive that she is a victim of a pyramid scheme . I think a lot of time people make their own trouble . Is there anything else I can do to help her I fear she is going to get in trouble with this . I just cannot fathom how guiliable people really are ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
The most you can do is what you have done.

Show her proof, like people will avoid her, and how those seminars use loud music to motivate.

Not much different thantamway, shocklee, marykay.

Better off spending money in a stock market, or starting up with a flea market, or bulk sales on ebay.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Now this is a woman who is college educated and is fairly smart I would say
Proof to the contrary.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Leave her alone. I am sure she doesn't appreciate your badgering.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Proof to the contrary.
or at least I thought she was until this happened .

Old 07-13-2017, 02:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have been for the better part of the week trying to encourage a friend to get out of a pyramid scheme . Yes it is called plexus and I have sent her several links to people who have been scammed by this company and what does she do ? she asks her distributor if these links are true ? what do you think they are going to say ? Oh no of course not . Now this is a woman who is college educated and is fairly smart I would say and yet she fell for this crap . I have warned her and shown her proof positive that she is a victim of a pyramid scheme . I think a lot of time people make their own trouble . Is there anything else I can do to help her I fear she is going to get in trouble with this . I just cannot fathom how guiliable people really are ?
Yes, they do. Which is why after you warn them once, you drop it.

I have to laugh at your college educated comment. I went to college, do you think that makes you smart?

Smart maybe in your line of study, but not in life.

The smartest man I even knew was my father, he barely got of HS. He did quite well for himself and was very well read.

I have a cousin who is a well educated with advanced degrees, she has made incredibly bad financial decisions.

Your comment reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me who is a teacher. There was some concerns regarding child abuse with a student and her mother, another teacher commented "Oh I don't think so, the mother dresses so nice".

Don't equate a formal education with being smart, they don't always go together.

And don't loan her any money.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
It sounds like she will be learning this lesson the hard way: The School of Hard Knocks!

Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
The most you can do is what you have done.
Agreed. Now only time will tell.

Been in this situation before. In my experience, the charismatic "upline" leader will flame out and you'll get your friend back to normal.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Ok. So is this different from Rodan and Fields, 31, MaryKay, Norwex, Cabi, Discovery Toys, Silpada Jewelry, Pampered Chef, and the original, Tupperware? Where you have a party, and everyone knows they're there to buy stuff from you at a huge markup and it probably won't be great stuff (except Cabi and Norwex), and they go to the party anyway?

I say let her do it. Just don't go to the parties.

IMHO, this isn't like Amway where you are tricked into going to a party you think is a purely social event and then it gets hijacked into a sales pitch with no warning.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
It sounds like she will be learning this lesson the hard way: The School of Hard Knocks!
I agree. They use psychological tricks and persuasion to create visuals of cars, riches and success that would make Robin Leach explode into a cloud of confetti and unicorn's with lightsabers for a horn. And they are really good at it. Got duped into a seminar once myself, but didn't join. They told the audience how a job was a waste of time "journeys on to brokenness" they said and had a tanned guy with a joker smile on stage, who ran up saying he came from his private jet from Ipanema. It was cheesier then a Kraft factory. My friend joined but gave up after 3 months.

If they have worked Thier hoodoo on OP's friend, they will likely just have to allow the person to find out themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships