Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 12:48 PM

162 posts, read 116,909 times

Advertisements

lol at the people in this thread telling TC to have the dog killed. You're disgusting and have no morals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 02:02 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heythere999 View Post
lol at the people in this thread telling TC to have the dog killed. You're disgusting and have no morals.
I see nothing wrong with it if it's behaving in that manner. What's the difference between doing that and killing cockroaches? There is none in my opinion. A pest is a pest.

The only degree to which I agree with you is in terms of STRATEGY. Unfortunately with it being a smaller dog the law would probably not consider it self-defense to shoot a dog the way they would a larger breed, never mind that it's definitely posing a problem. STRATEGY WISE the legal route, lawsuits informing the police etc, is the best way in this situation. Regardless he shouldn't stand for this, his child has the right to play in his own yard without being harassed.

Heck for that matter I think grown people have the right to not be harassed by their neighbor's dog with excessive barking or with going #1 or #2 or with them getting in the trash or chasing cats etc. To the degree that someone shoots a neighbor's PEST for doing those things if there are no other options and they can get away with it (like you can in the country), to me the person committing animal abuse is the OWNER of the animals, not the victimized neighbors keeping their yards free of clutter.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:37 PM

92 posts, read 83,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Keep a log of all incidents, if police didn't already tell you to do that. Keep them informed. Let the LL know that you do need a fence between the units, because your infant is at risk of attack by their unrestrained dog. Check with your city to see if there's an ordnance requiring dogs to be on a leash. The problem is, that's usually not required while they're in the back yard, but since there's no fence, that leaves you vulnerable. Still, look into the law, and ask the police about it.

OP, this is a tragedy waiting to happen. Don't take your child outside until it's safe to do so. Currently, it is not safe.
I have been. I have a paper pad with dates and times of all incidences. The landlord is planning on installing a fence but it doesn't make a difference when it comes to blaring music. I thought all dogs had to be on leashes in this city. Apparently not!

Old 07-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I can tell you what WE do out here with neighbor's dogs bothering us. It's called "shoot, shovel and shut up."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...nd_shutting_up

Now that isn't necessarily what I'd persue here, as you're in the city I'm in the country. Good for you in terms of filing a lawsuit. I say make LOTS of noise about this, LOTS. Your child has the RIGHT to play outside last time I checked children have more rights than dogs. The method I mentioned in the opening--I did that once for that very reason, a neighbor had a pit bull (what is it with people and their obsessions with owning a pit bull anyway?) and it kept coming into my yard despite repeated warnings from me to keep it out of here. He did nothing and the sheriff told me I was free to do what I felt necessary if I perceived a danger. I did.

In your case, lawsuit and making a HUGE fuss about this is what I'd do. You can't back down from people, that only further enables them to be this way, you have to stand up to them. Given their probation status, I say that puts you in the driver's seat. If they had a lick of sense they'd do whatever is necessary to not end up back in jail. Use that.
We made it clear if the dog comes over again WE will put it down. We carry a baseball bat when we go in our backyard now. And the police are encouraging us to do so. They know this family and do not care for them.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB75 View Post
As awful as the situation is, the bright side is that law enforcement seem to be well aware of this guy and are just waiting for your next call.

They probably won't be there too much longer given his behavior while on probation, and of course the "not paying rent" deal.

Does your LL know the owner of their unit?
No, she doesn't. I'm going to city hall on Monday to find out who owns the unit so I can contact them. The police officer has a history with the son and said "I hope he fights me" when he went over there to speak with him. He despises this kid.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heythere999 View Post
The dog attacked 3 people including an infant. I'm against animal abuse but I will kill the dog myself when it comes to protecting my daughter. I didn't call SPCA the first time because I didn't want the dog put down.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I see nothing wrong with it if it's behaving in that manner. What's the difference between doing that and killing cockroaches? There is none in my opinion. A pest is a pest.

The only degree to which I agree with you is in terms of STRATEGY. Unfortunately with it being a smaller dog the law would probably not consider it self-defense to shoot a dog the way they would a larger breed, never mind that it's definitely posing a problem. STRATEGY WISE the legal route, lawsuits informing the police etc, is the best way in this situation. Regardless he shouldn't stand for this, his child has the right to play in his own yard without being harassed.

Heck for that matter I think grown people have the right to not be harassed by their neighbor's dog with excessive barking or with going #1 or #2 or with them getting in the trash or chasing cats etc. To the degree that someone shoots a neighbor's PEST for doing those things if there are no other options and they can get away with it (like you can in the country), to me the person committing animal abuse is the OWNER of the animals, not the victimized neighbors keeping their yards free of clutter.
Exactly. I intend to take a bat to its head if it comes over to attack us again. My neighbours refuse to take control of the situation so I will. The dog is as big as my daughter and could seriously harm her. Not to mention my leg and foot are torn open from it. I can hear the dog barking right now. It never ends.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:44 PM

The wound looks worse now because it's bruised and swollen. I took these photos immediately after it happened.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:47 PM

11,022 posts, read 6,568,828 times
I cannot believe the authorities did not take the biting dog away, when you have proof of your injuries! This is really a travesty. I am so sorry for you. Since when do dogs have more rights than people!?

Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I cannot believe the authorities did not take the biting dog away, when you have proof of your injuries! This is really a travesty. I am so sorry for you. Since when do dogs have more rights than people!?
I think it has to do with the owners and the "rights" they think they have. I would elaborate but I don't want to be trolled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships