Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

I see no issue with it. If I had a cache of photos of some ex, I would send them too. As long as they were not of the two of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
All my friends were mortified. I'm curious if you agree with them.

I started tossing out boxes of old pictures a few weeks ago. I threw out tons of old pics. The pictures I thought each person in the picture would enjoy of themselves, I mailed them. Some were three or four decades old. All my old friends who receive the pictures called and said they appreciated that I sent them!

I sent my long-ago boyfriend in college a photo taken with his college roommates. My girlfriends all thought it was inappropriate. I didn't think about it being a problem. I wasn't in the picture. I didn't put a return address on the mail....just a note enclosed with the picture saying I thought he would enjoy seeing the picture of himself and his old roomies again.

I'm long, happily married. He's long married, too.

What do you guys think?
I think it was a very nice gesture. I recently received a group photo of a bunch of friends who all took a cruise together in 1995. It was a delightful surprise, which brought back fun memories.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I think it's quite thoughtful, and not at all inappropriate. The way you explained everything it's a fond memory for him to see once again, imho.
Agreed 100%!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I think you need new friends. It isn't as if that's the only picture you mailed out. You said you mailed others as well. Sometimes people just need to find/create drama - sound like your friends?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I always ask myself... "what's the point"? It stops me and makes me really think more, longer about what I am about to do. I think there might be more to it than you realize. And why would you feel the need to add you are happily married?

Do you not think he has pics of himself way back when? Again, I think there is more to this.
I've never quite gotten this way of thinking. Seems to be really searching and wringing to find something wrong with this.

I have and still do keep in touch with a couple exes now and then. And I would have no problem with something as innocuous as this. If I had a partner who was jealous or thought this inappropriate, I would be a little annoyed.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I think you need new friends. It isn't as if that's the only picture you mailed out. You said you mailed others as well. Sometimes people just need to find/create drama - sound like your friends?
And quite a few people in this thread.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
OP, I see nothing wrong with what you did. Just a little nostalgia that will hopefully make him reminisce and smile.

I also understand why you mentioned that you're happily married.

Hertfordshire and NY Annie nailed it.

Unfortunately, some people have the "hookup" mindset. They assume you wanted to rekindle an old romance or that your marriage must be lacking something. For your friends to be 'mortified' is just plain silly. Maybe they've been watching too many movies/soap operas. hmmmm, wonder where their minds must be.........

However, to be fair, maybe they were afraid he might have gotten 'weird' and he might try to find you, stalk you, and show up at your door. Strange things sometimes happen.

Oh well, no harm done imo.

Last edited by applej3; 07-17-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 02:20 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Not inappropiate. Nice, actually

do you wanna be my friend, OP ?

Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM

95 posts, read 73,522 times
Quote:

I started tossing out boxes of old pictures a few weeks ago. I threw out tons of old pics. The pictures I thought each person in the picture would enjoy of themselves, I mailed them. Some were three or four decades old. All my old friends who receive the pictures called and said they appreciated that I sent them!

I sent my long-ago boyfriend in college a photo taken with his college roommates. My girlfriends all thought it was inappropriate. I didn't think about it being a problem. I wasn't in the picture. I didn't put a return address on the mail....just a note enclosed with the picture saying I thought he would enjoy seeing the picture of himself and his old roomies again.

What do you guys think?
Often even if I don't agree, I can surmise what the opposition could be. Whether right or wrong.

I am not sure what the problem could possibly be with sending him this photo whether you are in it or not.

Forget your friends, it's a non-issue

Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I did the same thing, even met some of them for coffee.
If you ask people for opinions, what you often get is their fear.
They say more about themselves than anyone else cares to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships